General Chat

Stevo985

It's definitely way more difficult to get served now. 

I took my lad to Southampton away when he was 17.  That horrible one with El Ghazi lying on the floor.  Shudders. 

Even whilst with me the barman approached him and asked for ID.  Wouldn't let him continue drinking when he couldn't produce ID. 

Edited by sidcow

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I also think it’s much harder for underage kids to get into places that serve alcohol these days. 

Even when I first started going out (less than 20 years ago) you could get away with hilarious fake IDs. 

I used to scan my passport into the computer, use photoshop to change the birth year and then print it out. And use that printout as my passport. 

These days you need actually legit ID

Oh yes - I did the same! :D  (Was actually pretty pleased with myself tbh)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh yes - I did the same! :D  (Was actually pretty pleased with myself tbh)

Oh yeah it looked great. It's just the thought of a bouncer these days accepting a printout as ID :D 

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh yeah it looked great. It's just the thought of a bouncer these days accepting a printout as ID :D 

I got challenged on it once and replied along the lines of "I don't want to take my actual passport on a night out in case I lose it" - was accepted, in I go.

The best one was at the old Academy (I doubt they cared) where a bunch of us went with the same IDs.  One lad had forgotten his, was asked his D.O.B. and went one year the wrong way making himself 16 rather than 18.  No issue, in you go :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I got challenged on it once and replied along the lines of "I don't want to take my actual passport on a night out in case I lose it" - was accepted, in I go.

The best one was at the old Academy (I doubt they cared) where a bunch of us went with the same IDs.  One lad had forgotten his, was asked his D.O.B. and went one year the wrong way making himself 16 rather than 18.  No issue, in you go :D 

The old Academy was where I'd use mine (with the same excuse as to why I had a printout)

Ramshackle on a Friday night. Unreal scenes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The old Academy was where I'd use mine (with the same excuse as to why I had a printout)

Ramshackle on a Friday night. Unreal scenes

Pretty bizarre that we were likely attending the same nights, regularly, at the same time whilst using the same fake ID trick to get in but don't know each other at all and have only found out about this on a football forum some 18(ish) years later.

Quite enjoy when life does things like that :D 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Pretty bizarre that we were likely attending the same nights, regularly, at the same time whilst using the same fake ID trick to get in but don't know each other at all and have only found out about this on a football forum some 18(ish) years later.

Quite enjoy when life does things like that :D 

If it was 18 years ago then yep that would be around the time I was going regularly

2002-2004

Had this conversation with my wife a few weeks ago, she was utterly baffled by the holding hands with a random girl technique, the credit card argument, the payslip argument, she thought I was lying about putting your black socks over your white trainers too

5th avenue in Manchester got me a few years back, they claimed that they ID'd everyone on the door due to big brother watching, if you got caught dealing or doing drugs, fighting or anything no good in there they could recognise your face, shit thing was 29 year old me didn't have ID, my 30 year old mate did and he was cleanly shaven whereas I was fully bearded, they still weren't having it 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If it was 18 years ago then yep that would be around the time I was going regularly

2002-2004

Was that the one on Dale End? 

I used to go semi regularly around 2002-2003. I remember staggering out one night, into the road and getting hit by a taxi! :D 

I was a snobs man, very rarely went to ramshackle, not sure why, probably because of drinking in the sunflower lounge beforehand 

The one at the new academy did a run about ten years back of putting a band on at about 1am for an hour, saw the view and a couple of others that are a blur, if they'd have done that mid 00s when indie bands were 10 a penny I'd have been a regular 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I dunno why, but it seems like a disproportionately large chunk of the members of this forum are within a couple of years of this age (and yes, same here).

I agree. My theory (probably wrong) is that people in our age range are the generation that grew up on the net using forums/message boards/user groups,  and we still prefer them to the newer methods of discussion like Facebook / Discord / social media, etc. 

Lots of great forums I used to be on have been lost to the dreaded Facebook Groups. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I agree. My theory (probably wrong) is that people in our age range are the generation that grew up on the net using forums/message boards/user groups,  and we still prefer them to the newer methods of discussion like Facebook / Discord / social media, etc. 

Lots of great forums I used to be on have been lost to the dreaded Facebook Groups. 

I'm sure that's the exact reason, I doubt it would occur to many younger fans to look for a 'Villa forum'. Me, I still pine for the golden age of blogs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sure that's the exact reason, I doubt it would occur to many younger fans to look for a 'Villa forum'. Me, I still pine for the golden age of blogs.

Blogs? Newfangled rubbish. The Villa email list was where it was at. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I used to go semi regularly around 2002-2003. I remember staggering out one night, into the road and getting hit by a taxi! :D 

An old school mate of mine was being chased by the bouncers around the academy and managed to run onto the awning above the main entrance and fall off. Smashed his face up pretty badly but, thankfully, no broken bones...or death.

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Yep that was the one

Â