General Chat

Stevo985

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Luckily it's only a small site with a handful of houses going up. We've worked for them before. The next roof is ready on Wednesday. I'm going to tell my boss on Monday that unless things are altered, then I won't work on there. The no running water is illegal, but it won't kill me. The crash decking is my biggest concern, because that will kill me. The thing is, our firm are very well established. It's no cowboy outfit. 

Your description of the working conditions, the complete lack of concern for the welfare of workers and third parties, that everyone thought it was great and a good old laugh, and that you all carried on without doing anything about it doesn't just suggest otherwise, it says it.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Your description of the working conditions, the complete lack of concern for the welfare of workers and third parties, that everyone thought it was great and a good old laugh, and that you all carried on without doing anything about it doesn't just suggest otherwise, it says it.

It looks that way, but we've been going since the mid 70s. Well in there with all the main building firms. Got work coming out of our ears, and we are all up to date with all the health and safety courses you need to do to get the big jobs. Some jobs we are strict on, and others we are laid back. 

24 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It looks that way, but we've been going since the mid 70s. Well in there with all the main building firms. Got work coming out of our ears, and we are all up to date with all the health and safety courses you need to do to get the big jobs. Some jobs we are strict on, and others we are laid back. 

I'm not sure that the ability to follow health and safety legislation, other laws and so on when the circumstances demand it, i.e. when they'd presumably be drummed off the site and lose existing and future work quicker than you could say Roy Rogers if they didn't follow proper practice(s), and being 'laid back' elsewhere or that they've been around since the 70s precludes them from being called a cowboy outfit.

The more you describe them, the more they sound like the kind of lot who would do the least they can get away with and **** the potential consequences.

It isn't just your bosses who are responsible for complying with health and safety regulations and legislation, is it, though?

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure that the ability to follow health and safety legislation, other laws and so on when the circumstances demand it, i.e. when they'd presumably be drummed off the site and lose existing and future work quicker than you could say Roy Rogers if they didn't follow proper practice(s), and being 'laid back' elsewhere or that they've been around since the 70s precludes them from being called a cowboy outfit.

The more you describe them, the more they sound like the kind of lot who would do the least they can get away with and **** the potential consequences.

It isn't just your bosses who are responsible for complying with health and safety regulations and legislation, is it, though?

No,  it falls on the workers too. 

37 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@mjmooney,  "The Girl From The North Country" you heard of this? It's a Bob Dylan musical stage show. 

Yep. I'm not keen on 'juke box musicals', although this one has had good reviews. 

Our old pal Jenny Jones live on Breakfast on the BBC, discussing the winter Olympics 'uniforms', or whatever you might call them. She's on the comms team I believe. 

Probably my favourite Villa Talk thing. Was it Villaajax? Was it someone else? Was it literally one of the vanguards of women's snowboarding posting on a random football forum? Perhaps we'll never know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogso said:

Our old pal Jenny Jones live on Breakfast on the BBC, discussing the winter Olympics 'uniforms', or whatever you might call them. She's on the comms team I believe. 

Probably my favourite Villa Talk thing. Was it Villaajax? Was it someone else? Was it literally one of the vanguards of women's snowboarding posting on a random football forum? Perhaps we'll never know. 

I'm still not convinced that it wasn't her.

Well, there's no evidence of anything, either way, I believe. 

A few of us tweeted her directly and had no reply, and there was the time when she was live on Sunday Brunch whilst posting on here - quite unusual yes, but not proof it definitely wasn't her. 

It's just so odd though. I seem to recall she had a boyfriend who was a villa fan and forum member, and that's how she found VT - but I can't remember who that person was, or even if they were a regular poster.

at the time she appeared I'd have said 99.9% of us had never heard of her  , seemed a strange person to mimic for a wind up

Early doors she mentioned doing a London - Paris bike ride , at the time nobody knew who she was / pretending to be  , and a few people asked about sponsoring her  ... to which I think she replied along the lines of very sweet but I'm not looking for sponsorship money as our sponsors are covering it  .. which is what set us off into Sherlock Holmes mode trying to work out who she was  ... a quick google and you'll even find the event sponsored by Oakley in  2010 so the timing fits

Plus there were some pics from Sochi and some comments that seemed very much ITK from the event  

So I dunno  ..could have been fake , but  there is also a part that thinks she was legit  

• Like 1

Â