General Chat

Stevo985

I don't think about retirement.

To be honest I don't think that far ahead with anything. I'm not a planner. I take things as they come.

Edit - I guess I consider what may come. But I don't specifically plan out my life or have any real overarching aims. There are dreams I guess, but I know I probably will never attain them.

I have a friend who has a kind of ideal scenario life plan. Lots of people do I guess but she is doing everything now to try to achieve it. Fair play to her. I just couldn't do it. She wants the usual things, the husband the children the house etc... but she has them detailed to degrees that seem almost ridiculous. She has a specific number of children she wants, she has a specfic career path, she has a specific period in which she wants to push away from the career and take to being a mother, she has an overarching aim of doing good in the world for those poorest in a myriad of very specific and considered ways (she's genuinely researched these ideas, they slip my mind recently but she could reel off the facts and figures and how she could help and so on). I'm talking stuff like running a school in a Third World country.

I couldn't do that. I don't wish to regiment my life into a life plan, even an idealised one like my friend.

I've been thinking about these kind of things recently just because I'm now finally in the real world and the first footsteps to my life are tentatively taking place now. Retirement is a far off distanced land that I can barely comprehend.

The only thing I do know from that future is that Bulmers will still be shite.

I don't think about retirement.

To be honest I don't think that far ahead with anything. I'm not a planner. I take things as they come.

:o:o

Seriously though, I don't really have plans, I mean, I have hopes like becoming a Dad, having a stable family, financially secure and what not. So I have overall aims but I have no plans in the way I can achieve such things, especially financially. I'm very much unsure of my future. Apart from one thing, I'm working 9-5 2 days a week after world cup finishes on tuesday and thursday's. That's the only thing I know what i'm doing with my life.

Football? more education? proper job? what I want to do for a career? I have no clue.

I have a friend who has a kind of ideal scenario life plan. Lots of people do I guess but she is doing everything now to try to achieve it. Fair play to her. I just couldn't do it. She wants the usual things, the husband the children the house etc... but she has them detailed to degrees that seem almost ridiculous. She has a specific number of children she wants, she has a specfic career path, she has a specific period in which she wants to push away from the career and take to being a mother
People who do this sort of thing just set themselves up for disappointment and frustration.

AVFC-Prideofbrum has it right - have general aims and desires, but don't try to timetable it or assume it will happen.

The kids thing is a classic. So often women (and sometimes men) have their kids all pre-planned and then they turn out to be infertile, or get divorced or some such.

When the missus and I got married we agreed that we quite liked the idea of having a family, but it wasn't the reason we were together. Our stance was "if it happens, fine, if it doesn't, well there are advantages to being childless, too". It happened. It was fine.

I never planned to work in I.T. (it barely existed when I graduated!), but stumbled into it and it's worked out OK.

I've paid my pension subs for years without even thinking about it until about six months ago, but I'm looking forward to retiring now.

Maybe I'm just bad at planning.

Just found out (via a tearful phone call from my sister) that my nephew has passed his Law degree with 2:1.

Have to say he's really deserved it too as he's worked his socks off the last few years.

Absolutely chuffed to bits for him. :hooray:

Great start to the day. Dead and slightly solid goldfish on my kitchen worktop. His name was Percy.

To make it worse, I told my mom. She could not get her head around it jumping/leaping out of the tank and asked if it was a possibility that my boyfriend had done it. She must think I'm living with a reet frickin wierdo.

Â