PL: Everton a Ratings and Reactions 2009/10/31

limpid

We keep grinding out results without looking very good at all. We haven't dominated a game in months. We haven't thrashed a team for a year (Wigan away)

I'm hoping we all click soon because defensively we're great now, sort it out creatively and we're laughing, a team will get a pasting. Hell, even Pompey managed 4 today...

The worst refereeing performance for ages, the worst home crowd performance for ages (no singing and baying like heyenas for the tiniest thing). Pretty good support from us, an improvement on Wolves, but nowhere near the vocals of last season.

Thought Heskey had a really good game, superb hold up play and bringing others in, Young and Warnock looked great at times in the Second half - it really will help Ash to have Warnock overlapping like that.

Petrov head and shoulders in class over anyone else on the pitch, some sublime touches, and didn't see any sign of us being overrun despite midfield allegedly being Evertons strong suit.

Collins was excellent.

A point away to Everton, regardless of their form over the last few games, is a good point - and 7 points from 3 games against 3 of last years top 5 is brilliant.

A scrappy game at times, but then I see more and more Prem games like that these days.

4 or 5 of their best players out??? rubbish!

Arteta and Jagielka that's all they weren't far off full strength and were terrible 2nd half

Arteta, Jagielka, Pienaar and Neville would all WALK back in that team, easily.

I thought this was actually a very reasonable response from David Moyes

David Moyes was forced to accept Diniyar Bilyaletdinov's sending off in the 1-1 draw against Aston Villa.

However the Everton manager told evertonTV he wishes similar challenges on his own players had been punished earlier in the season.

"I have seen challenges like that given a red so I have to accept it. There is a possibility it was a red.

"It would of been nice if challenges on Phil Neville and Steven Pienaar were picked up in the same way though."

Moyes had sympathy for Villa who also ended the match with ten men following the sending off Carlos Cuellar for a second booking offence.

"I thought it was harsh on Aston Villa even though the boy had two or three fouls after his first booking but I think the ref reacted after the Billy challenge."

The Blues boss has urged his side to move on quickly from the draw at Goodison and focus on returning to winning ways.

"We are disappointed we only got a point but in the same breath we haven't had a very good week and it was a tight game.

"Maybe we have to take the point and move on."

Arteta and Jagielka that's all they weren't far off full strength and were terrible 2nd half

Pienaar instead of Billy your new saviour?? doubt it

Neville er where would he fit in exactly??

Pienaar instead of Billy your new saviour?? doubt it

Neville er where would he fit in exactly??

Pienaar instead of Osman...

Neville in for Rodwell, Rodwell is only a regular because we have noone else.

Osman didn't play....

You'd drop Rodwell your best young player since Rooney and dead cert for WC squad??

(sarcasm)

No, I know he didn't play, I mean out of the team we would normally play.

Billy would be on the left, Pienaar on the right.

Moyes won't drop Neville if he is fit, he is our Captain, and we miss him.

Yeah I would, cos he needs a break. Don't know if you've seen anyone saying he should be a dead cert for the WC squad, cos I haven't, so don't really understand the sarcasm..?

Midfield would most likely be:

Pienaar Neville Arteta Bilyaletdinov

Fellaini/Cahill

(as it was at the start of the season, only Rodwell was in for Arteta, well and Osman in for Billy but we hadn't signed him then)

oh apologies I see what you mean now, you'd play Pienaar on the right? I think he's much more effective on the left...

a lot of your fans think he has an outside chance of being in the squad even though he clearly isn't ready

To be honest, Pienaar and Billy are so versatile they can play anywhere, we usually swap them over a lot (we didn't today cos Cahill was playing "wide"). Pienaar is partly so effective on the left because him and Baines have a fantastic partnership and read each other so well. You might be right, Maybe if Pienaar and Bilyaletdinov played on the opposite sides to their natural kicking foot, we would have them cut in for more shots.

Yeah, his first few games this season he was definitely in with a shout because he was fabulous, since Pompey away though his form has been poor, he is not ready to play week in week out just yet.

I thought this was actually a very reasonable response from David Moyes

David Moyes was forced to accept Diniyar Bilyaletdinov's sending off in the 1-1 draw against Aston Villa.

However the Everton manager told evertonTV he wishes similar challenges on his own players had been punished earlier in the season.

"I have seen challenges like that given a red so I have to accept it. There is a possibility it was a red.

"It would of been nice if challenges on Phil Neville and Steven Pienaar were picked up in the same way though."

Moyes had sympathy for Villa who also ended the match with ten men following the sending off Carlos Cuellar for a second booking offence.

"I thought it was harsh on Aston Villa even though the boy had two or three fouls after his first booking but I think the ref reacted after the Billy challenge."

The Blues boss has urged his side to move on quickly from the draw at Goodison and focus on returning to winning ways.

"We are disappointed we only got a point but in the same breath we haven't had a very good week and it was a tight game.

"Maybe we have to take the point and move on."

Good stuff from Moyes to be fair. Though I think MON and himself get on quite well, so it doesn't surprise me if either of them come out saying stuff to almost defend the other team.

Cahill was easily the best midfielder out there even if he is a thug ..his lunge on Ash was more wothy of a red than Bilyaletdinov's ..at least Bily made some form of attempt to get the ball

Everton fans whined a lot but i suspect deep down thye were happy with a point .. just as deep down we must be as well

3 points v West Ham and it will have been a good week

cahill may be a thug, but what i wouldnt give for a thug like that in our team that can get a foot in when its needed and chip in with ten goals a season from the midfield.

didnt see the game, but as others have said, a point away is always acceptable and its good to hear that ash played a bit better too.