PL: West Ham a Match Thread 2009/11/04 19:45

limpid

To me our style of play and performance means everything! Our tactics are defensive, we don't have much creativity and we are hORRible to watch! Our style of play won't get us very far.

During the countdown, the closer the kick-off, the less I care about the performance and the result becomes more and more important.

On match day it's the result that matters. The rest of the week it's the performance and the style of our play.

So it's Jekyll & Hyde again. At the moment, through claret&blue lenses 3 points is absolute minimum, logic says something different. West Ham have played well in the last two games (Arsenal 2-2 h, Sundeland 2-2 a) and we probably are missing Petrov, Milner and Cuellar so for me the odds are against us.

This looks too good to be true but, again, this is one of those rare occasions when it is "in our own hands".

1 Chelsea ........ 27/11

2 Man Utd ........ 25/11

3 Arsenal ......... 22/10

4 Aston Villa ..... 21/11

5 Man City ....... 19/10

6 Tottenham ..... 19/11

7 Liverpool ....... 18/11

So it's now or never again. 3 points absolute minimum!

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to finding a good stream and watching this with a couple of beers.

It's been so long that I can't even remember the last time it was hard to pick our team for the match. Usually it will be same team unless someone was injured and you could guess who would be coming in.

So looking forward to the line up and seeing what changes will be made.

I dunno, i was feeling confident about this earlier in the week but i don't at all now. Nothing's changed either team wise, must be just nerves.

We should beat them, My only worry is if Hines plays, think he could give our RB a test. We need to win it i just hope we have the fire power to do it.

I'd be tempted to go 4-5-1 with Carew up top and Gabby on the right, although i think Albrighton should play some part in the game, escpecially as Gabby is our most threatening forward and you don't really want him playing RW.

I'm always very wary of matches which are billed as "must win", which in many ways this match is. Could be setting ourselves up for an all-too-familiar failure?

This is our chance to get ahead of Spurs and Liverpool and challenge Man C to get maximum points from their game in hand.

If we win, we will start to look like contenders again. If not, we are still in the following pack.

I would be delirious about a win, however it is achieved, and to those people who are posting over and over again criticising our "style of play", I would just say take the points, lie back and enjoy it.

I'm quite looking forward to this game as we will probably be without Cuellar and Milner. I also hope that Stan Ray Wilkins Petrov is in the stands. Then we should have a midfield of Albrighton, Delph, Reo-Coker, Sidwell and Young. Plenty of pace and stamina and with the hopeful inclusion of Delph, a bit more creativity! With that midfield, we might even be able to string more than two passes together?

However, if Petrov is indeed fit and plays, we are then in for a tough game. West Ham's nimble midfield and their front man Cole will give us problems. A good test then for our new defence and i will be delighted to come away with a point, but i fear a defeat, especially if Petrov plays.

i'm very nervous about this game.

if we win, we go 4th.

everytime we get to that stage, we choke. West Ham are a decent team, who probably shouldn't be in the bottom 3.

Our attack is weak, and we have people out.

my heart still stays we will win 2-1.

Whenever we play WHU away I remember that awful night a few seasons back when Harewood scored a trick against us and we lost 4-0.

you had to mention that didnt you, adopts foetal position in the corner of a dark room...

A draw puts us above spurs, 2 wins this week and with Chelsea and Manure playing each other we'd be breathing down their necks!

I hope not another draw and not at West Ham, have to say the 2 guys in your avatar would be my front 2, lets break the mould forget about the big fella in the box (Carew & Heskey) and hit and hope he gets on the end of for the goal, lets go for raw pace and power with Ash turning it on with a few dips of the shoulder into the box, Gabby in the channel and wack into the net, thank you and goodnight you Hammers.

It is a little disheartening to see certain members on here (just a couple) keep going on in their strange anti Petrov modus, as the guy is our captain and is one of the few players in the side who shows any capability of retaining posession whenever we get the ball.

There is a lack of realism in these repeated posts, like the more it is said, the more it will sway opinion against him, evn though it is obvious to everyone and their dog as to where these smear remarks are comming from. Shame those same voices are apparently unable to see when the guy puts in a decent performance and are unable to recognise any thing he does in contribution to the overall performance (apart from anything negative that is).

If their attitude was man enough to recognise the fact that he does actually contribute something positive to our game, then they might find their posts being read with a bit more enthusiasm, instead of the "oh no" effect they seem to carry with them.

I hope he does well tonight( if he plays after recovery from the injury incurred at the end of the last game away at Everton), as the rest of the team. 3 away points would be great for us, but Upton Park is not the easiest of places when the Hammers come in form, as Arsenal felt las time around there.

Whatever, looking forward to a good game.

Have won the games we should be losing, lost the games we should be winning and drawn the rest so far this season.

That doesn't bode well for tonight.

a draw then?

Stato; thank you for the clarity.

Trent; if Petrov and Milner don't make it, would you still go with a 4-5-1 and if so who would you have in it?

Martin states he has stronger squad than last year. He needs to let go sometime before injury forces his hand.

On monday on OS site he pointed out Jimmy Milner had calf problem last friday from sunderland game. I was at Everton and you could see he was not right from the start.

Top 4 and citeh, spuds and would have rotated with out risking.

If Petro is not fit dont risk him just end up injured for longer spell.

Use the squad.

Give Reo/Delph a chance or consider Albrighton on the wing if he has Heskey or Carew on bench. We cant got on playing the same squad and repeat mistakes of last season.

This is our chance to get ahead of Spurs and Liverpool and challenge Man C to get maximum points from their game in hand.

If we win, we will start to look like contenders again. If not, we are still in the following pack.

I would be delirious about a win, however it is achieved, and to those people who are posting over and over again criticising our "style of play", I would just say take the points, lie back and enjoy it.

We've had our chance before and bottled it more times than not!

I'm not saying we will do that here, but the past experience doesn't bode well.

Martin states he has stronger squad than last year. He needs to let go sometime before injury forces his hand.

On monday on OS site he pointed out Jimmy Milner had calf problem last friday from sunderland game. I was at Everton and you could see he was not right from the start.

Top 4 and citeh, spuds and would have rotated with out risking.

If Petro is not fit dont risk him just end up injured for longer spell.

Use the squad.

Give Reo/Delph a chance or consider Albrighton on the wing if he has Heskey or Carew on bench. We cant got on playing the same squad and repeat mistakes of last season.

Agree completely with this.

4-5-1 for me.

Friedel

Luke/Beye --- Collins --- Dunne --- Warnock

Marc --- Sidders --- NRC --- Delph --- Ash

Gab

JC as impact sub if needed.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if Gab pulled out right and JC started in place of Marc but I would like him to get a chance at some point, unless we are playing really well but the game is still tight.

We should have enough in that side to beat the hammers.

Have to say I'm really hoping for a top class performance from Gabby, the kind of thing he can turn on when you can instantly see he's up for it as he was v Man City last season, thought he was v B'ham this season, just feel he's been a little of with the goals recently and it would be fantastic to see him bury West Ham especially as Cole is the other end and it looks like it could be a toss between him and Gabby for the England place....why i don't know but there you have it.