PL: West Ham a Match Thread 2009/11/04 19:45

limpid

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All change?

I wonder if we might see a few changes for this one.

Young will come in at right back I'd have thought with Cuellar suspended.

Friedel should continue in goal, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if Guzan gets another go.

If Petrov and Milner don't make it then I'm guessing we'll see a midfield of Young, Sidwell, Reo Coker and Delph which would be an interesting proposition.

Then it's take your pick up front, Heskey or Carew?

Maybe a reversion to 4-5-1 and a rare appearance for Gardner? We have to make sure we shut them down in the middle and neutralize the likes of Noble, because their only real threat lies in the midfield supplying Carlton Cole just in front of defenders. If we force them wide and/or to rely on aerial attacks, we should be comfortable.

Check out Friedel's stats: very interesting! I also imagine he'll start, though maybe since he's hit that 200 mark now, that'll be enough and Guzan will get a shot?

What I expect/would like to see:

Friedel

Young (if he's fully fit... if not, hopefully our other actual RB gets played at RB!)

Collins

Dunne

Warnock

NRC

Sidwell

Gardner or Delph (Delph for energy and attack, Gardner to steel us up and stare people down - would likely start Delph if NRC is on the pitch)

Albrighton (I think he should be OK in this particular game)

Young

Agbonlahor

Switch to 4-4-2 if we're looking toothless.

Technically Cuellar's suspension won't take effect until next week will it - so he will be eligible to play and miss the following match instead I would have thought.

Either way though I think it's time for Young's return. We have seen how crucial Warnock can be as an attacking fullback and I think having another running up the right can only cause more headaches.

Technically Cuellar's suspension won't take effect until next week will it - so he will be eligible to play and miss the following match instead I would have thought.

I thought they'd scrapped that one and now suspensions just count for the next game. Hopefully you're right as I think the less players we have to change per game the better off we'll be.

I thought they'd scrapped that one and now suspensions just count for the next game. Hopefully you're right as I think the less players we have to change per game the better off we'll be.

Suspensions for red cards (even if for 2 yellows) are immediate. Yellow card suspensions don't start until 7 days after the 5th/10th/15th booking.

Despite their position in the league this will be a tough game as they have been playing well lately without managing to win games.

We need to go looking for the win and if we can get it we will be in a fantastic position for this stage of the season, recent results dictate a point would be deemed a bad result yet in isolation a point away at Upton Park is a decent result.

As for the team selection, the return of Young at RB seems a forgone conclusion beyond that I would switch to 4-5-1 with Gabby up front on his own and bring NRC, he would be so up for the game.

West Ham are playing well right now and they've been so unlucky with results and tough fixtures they've had so far, but if we continue to play the 'Bolton' way I can't see us winning. Why can't be entertaining and play sexy football again? I'm very concerened about us in central-midfield now without Petrov... who's going to deliver, Coker, Sidwell? We still haven't replaced Barry and I think it's been shown this season, the only way we'll dominate in midfield is if we have a 5-man midfield, but that'd mean not playing Carew.

Trent; if Petrov and Milner don't make it, would you still go with a 4-5-1 and if so who would you have in it?

To be honest I wasn't aware that the pair were in doubt for the game, with this in mind there are 3 connotations;

Without Milner;

Young Petrov Sidwell NRC Albrighton

Without Petrov;

Young Sidwell NRC Milner Albrighton

Without both;

Young Sidwell NRC Gardner Albrighton

So basically in answer to your question I would stick with 4-5-1 because I don't feel we are playing well or creating enough chances with 4-4-2. I also think it would enable us to best cope with West Ham's short close passing game and hit them on the counter attack which as Arsenal showed they are vunerable to.