LC: Sunderland A 2009/10/27 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

An absolute shocking performance, if it wasn't for Guzan, Collins and Dunne we would have been soundly beaten...

Ratings:

Guzan - 9 1/2 - Probably the single most incredible performance I have ever seen from a goalkeeper

Cuellar - 5 - Awful, looks knackered after 20 minutes

Collins - 7 - Some brilliant defensive headers and blocks

Dunne - 7 - Ditto

Warnock - 5 - Got ripped apart, his worst performance in a Villa shirt

Milner - 6 - Average

NRC - 6 - Gave the ball away too often, again

Petrov - 6 - A worrying display from Stan

A.Young - 5 - Going through an absolutlely shcoking period atm

Gabby - 6 - Still our biggest goal threat

Heskey - 7 - Suprisingly good!

Subs:

Delph - 6 - Sprayed some lovely long passes around

Carew - 6 - Slightly better from the big un

Sidwell - N/A - Can't remember!

Brad Guzan :notworthy: I love this guy.

We got very fortunate last night and when I heard Sunderland got a penalty in the 84th minute I just knew "that's it"... but obviously that was not the case and we've survived which see's us into the quarter-finals which I'm delighted with but we must start playing our best side from now on and play much, much better - otherwise we won't be advancing to the semi's.

Ashley Young hails Aston Villa hero Brad Guzan

Oct 29 2009 by Lisa Smith, Birmingham Post

Add a comment

Recommend

Ashley Young

villa dyn ashley young

Brad Guzan’s heroics for Aston Villa in saving three out of four penalties against Sunderland to put the club’s name in the hat for the quarter finals of the Carling Cup may have taken many people by surprise.

The American goalkeeper has been in the shadow of Villa’s first-choice shot-stopper Brad Friedel for the last couple of seasons, forced to ply his trade in the reserves.

But his team-mates insist they knew all about his penalty-saving capabilities long before the battle with the Black Cats – they have had to test him day in, day out on the training field and the results are always the same.

Ashley Young claims Guzan is the best in the business when it comes to saving penalties having done his bit for the cause, stepping up to slam home Villa’s winning penalty in their 3-1 shoot-out victory at the Stadium of Light.

Young was swift to deflect any plaudits for his own part in the game back on to the shoulders of the man from Illinois who proved such an impenetrable force against Steve Bruce’s side.

“It is always nice to score the winner,” Young said. “But I think a lot of the credit has got to go to the goalkeeper – the number of saves he made in the game and the penalty save he made in the game as well.

“The saves after that were tremendous too. He is brilliant for us and showed just how good he was.”

Young quipped that Guzan’s record in training was just as awesome although he was quick to point out the keeper found it difficult to keep his own shots out of the net!

“When it comes to penalty saves, he is always like that in training – he can’t save mine but he does his fair share! He was, however, tremendous,” Young quipped.

“There are a few of the boys who always practise after training and he is in goal. He saves his fair share and like I say he was absolutely brilliant.”

Young praised Villa’s excellent travelling support, insisting it was a proud moment to slot home the winning penalty in front of them.

The player applauded the fans behind Guzan’s goal after firing home the winning spot kick – the travelling contingent swollen in number from the anticipated 800 to more than 2,500 with the aid of a generous offer from the club who paid for almost 40 free coaches to transport them northwards.

Young said: “I knew where I was going to put the ball when I stepped up and luckily for me it went in.

“The crowd definitely helped. From minute one in the game they were loud. They were brilliant especially when you think it was midweek and they had travelled so far. Our boys say whether we are home or away they are like a twelfth man. And they were brilliant for us again. To score the winning penalty in front of them was nice.”

Villa face a nail-biting wait to see who they will meet in the next round depending on results elsewhere and Saturday’s draw.

Martin O’Neill, the manager, will be hoping for a nice home fixture but there are still some major Barclay’s Premier League sides left in the hat.

LINK