LC: Sunderland A 2009/10/27 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

I am convinced there is no way Guzan is human, either that or he can actually read minds.

Did you not see that program on Channel 4, 'Derren Brown: How to save a penalty'?

Obviously Guzan didn't see it either, because he can actually save them.

Sorry Derren.

Only listened on the radio but it did sound like another poor performance from the front six. Sounds like they were set up poorly though by MON, certainly for the first half, with Jimmy pushed inside and Gab out wide.

I think Gabby is the only one of our strikers, except maybe the Fonz, who can play up top on his own. Heskey needs a second striker playing off him.

Would have liked to have seen Delph come on for a striker and make it 4-5-1. Give him a chance for a bit of marauding. Not sure either of the big men are adding a lot at the minute.

Congrats to Guzan and the two CBs.

"barry's boots" blames it all on MON.

There's a shock.

A "friendly" post by briny_ear about another poster. There's a shock. :yawn:

Only listened on the radio but it did sound like another poor performance from the front six. Sounds like they were set up poorly though by MON, certainly for the first half, with Jimmy pushed inside and Gab out wide.

I think Gabby is the only one of our strikers, except maybe the Fonz, who can play up top on his own. Heskey needs a second striker playing off him.

Would have liked to have seen Delph come on for a striker and make it 4-5-1. Give him a chance for a bit of marauding. Not sure either of the big men are adding a lot at the minute.

Congrats to Guzan and the two CBs.

Aren't you usually complaining that MON isn't flexible and won't try different things?

Or are you just annoyed that he won't do the things that you want?

:yawn:

An absolute bag of crap for the first half, worst football I have seen in a long time, better in the second half but I have to say our central midfield are sooooo lacking in any creativity.

The fans were brilliant tonight, great turnout (free coaches and half term possibly helped) and I had a couple of texts from some friends in the sunderland end who said we sounded great.

But I feel sorry for the fans going back to brum that must have been a effin late night, I got back at 11.45 and I only live 20 miles away

Guzan was solid and a couple of really good saves as well as the penalties

I saw the celebrations on Sky MON pushing the players out of the way to hug Guzan was great.

Yeah he was dragging Guzan away from the pile to give him a big hug, that was awesome.

An absolute bag of crap for the first half, worst football I have seen in a long time, better in the second half but I have to say our central midfield are sooooo lacking in any creativity.

The fans were brilliant tonight, great turnout (free coaches and half term possibly helped) and I had a couple of texts from some friends in the sunderland end who said we sounded great.

But I feel sorry for the fans going back to brum that must have been a effin late night, I got back at 11.45 and I only live 20 miles away

Guzan was solid and a couple of really good saves as well as the penalties

I'd echo all of that Paul, only to add that, as well as the defence, Jimmy Milner has to come out with a great deal of credit. He never gave up and was still making the tackles and runs 115 minutes in.

I was expecting an easy (ish) ride when I heard the Sunderland team selection, particularly Nosworthy. But to be fair, he did well. Fraiser Campbell wasn't bad either.

Not exactly looking forward to the league fixture after that footballing feast, but at least there'll only be a maximum of 90 ish minutes of it.

You're right about the journey home too. I was in by 11 and was feeling the pinch after the whole rollercoaster, so god knows how the Midlands massive felt when they finally got back.

Can anyone shed any more light on the apparent scuffle that occured by the away gates on the way out? Saw a police horse go in at one point and buffet a Mackem out the road, before the copper on the back had a firm and frank exchange of views with him. Didn't seem to be anything major, but there was a definite sense of aggro in the air. Don't think it escalated, but I didn't hang around to find out.

Alan!

I thought we were played off the park for most of 120 minutes, without the reflexes of Guzan we'd have been dead and buried in regulation time.

The Sunderland fans were somewhat aggrieved after the match and rightfully so. Our defence looks like it's pretty much sorted now, but we really have to do something about our attacking threat. With the players we have you'd think we'd not manage to make such a complete hash of trying to score, but we do. I'd sign Kenwyne Jones in a flash - a big strong centre forward in the mould of Drogba except without the "falling over dramatically" bit every 5 minutes.

Guzan - well what can you say? Stand up and take the applause, you absolutely deserve it.

Anyhow a win is a win and we're in the draw. Please let it be a home tie this time.

I'd sign Kenwyne Jones in a flash - a big strong centre forward in the mould of Drogba except without the "falling over dramatically" bit every 5 minutes.

And without the goal every other game (or whatever) bit too. Can't take a penno either. My missus watches him every week and reckons he's lazy - an opinion held by quite a few Mackems.

Now Darren Bent on the other hand...

We're through and Guzan is king of penalties, that's all I can say. :D But my reactions last night when I got the result in a text message from a friend made the other guys at work staring at me wondering what the hell happened. :nod: Didn't realise it's the quarter finals already. Manure away and our first victory against them in 9 years?

Enjoyed the game last night

Thought Collins and Dunne handled Jones well at the back, unfortunatey the central midfield didnt seem up to speed to me, Young and Milner kept trying though, especially milner as even after a few miss placed paces he kept going for the 120 minutes

Got very nervous when they had 2 on 1 right at the end but all i need to say on that matter is........Brad Guzan!!!!! :notworthy:

Made great saves and well the penalties, i think we all know how well he did there!

Was great support for a tuesday night, sunderland fans were not great, thought more would have turned out aswell

Thankfully i only had to travel back to uni in leeds, i feel for everyone going back to b'ham, have done it before from newcastle and its not great!!

We are really solid at the back but we cant seem to get into full flow going forward. Another tough away game at Everton on Saturday despite them being in bad form.

Who ever we face in the Quarters it is going to be tough. Hopefully we can get Portsmouth or any game at home.[/quo

Our style of play at the moment is as good as it gets with the average players we have. If you want to see quality football, then go and watch Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and even Wigan who are all playing the game the right way. We are a team of grafters without flair. I'm afraid we will all just have to get used to it!

We were very lucky last night!

We are really solid at the back but we cant seem to get into full flow going forward. Another tough away game at Everton on Saturday despite them being in bad form.

Who ever we face in the Quarters it is going to be tough. Hopefully we can get Portsmouth or any game at home.

We are not in bad form. Our style of play at the moment is as good as it gets with the average players we have. If you want to see quality football, then go and watch Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and even Wigan who are all playing the game the right way. We are a team of grafters without flair. I'm afraid we will all just have to get used to it!

We were very lucky last night!

So what about the the 07/08 season when we produced brilliant football and scored 71 goals, our midfield and attack then was:

Carew Gabby

Young Coker Barry Petrov.

So stop thinking this is the best we got because you know players like Young and Carew can give so much more than they are giving right now,

I've never come across such opinions that piss me off than yours, constantly putting down the team when clearly isn't the case and the thing is aswell is that you slate O'Neill, yet you call his team average, so which one is it, because if he's managing an average team, being 3 points of 3rd is a hell of an effort.