Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

In 100 years time, people will talk about the way Liverpool dominated the 80's and the way Man Utd dominated the 90's and 00's in just the same fashion that we now glorify the fact that Villa dominated a century ago. Different clubs dominate during certain era's dependant on certain factors at the time.

Not sure when Tottenham dominated anything though. I guess you could say that they have dominated mid-table mediocrity forever.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what if the league expands and another 50 teams are introduced, or the European super league comes into fruition?

Will the days of the premier league become irrelevant and Manchester United's dominance of the last two decades be discounted?

Another 50 teams are never going to be introduced and a European super league is very unlikely to happen.

Besides, you are talking about future 'ifs', whereas I've referred to actual 19th century reality compared to later on. If any of your 'ifs' ever occur, then no doubt the discussion could be resumed at that time.

It doesn't mean that your 19th century trophies count for nothing. But it does mean their value, as benchmarks of club success compared to the vast majority of other clubs (who weren't even able to compete for those trophies), is very considerably reduced.

I'm prepared to admit the huge credit to Villa for winning the European Cup, but a degree of reciprocal honesty would be apprecated in VTers admitting the truth of what I say above about your 19th century trophies.

Glaston you are using subjective criteria to manipulate the argument in your favour. ...

It's not subjective criteria, it's objective criteria because it's objective fact concerning the small number of clubs in the league structure in the 19th century.

.... You can not dismiss achievements based on when they happened. ...

I don't dismiss them. I merely put them in their true context, a context which considerably reduces - but doesn't completely dismiss - their objective value as a benchmark of club success in relation to many other clubs.

It is equally valid for us to say that Villa managed to achieve at a time when all clubs including Villa were considerably less developed ... There was no good reason or divine right for us to do so other than that we were the powerhouse at the time because we succeeded in doing it on the pitch. ...

No good reason besides your being a powerhouse? Most of the other clubs in existence today were not even in the competitions concerned during the 19th century - that strikes me as an excellent reason as to why they couldn't have won the trophies concerned instead of Villa.

... Just as you did in 61 and as we did in 81 & 82.

No, by that time the full league stucture had been in place for a long time and no clubs were excluded from being able to compete in it

In the 19th century Villa were a big fish in a very small pond. In the 60s and 80s the pond was huge, just as it is today.

It's not Villa's fault all the Southern fairy clubs refused to turn professional. It's not like the clubs didn't exist.

Exactly, the clubs were there, they were just non league clubs at the time.

M.K Dons were founded in 2004, their fans don't go around claiming the trophies won before 2004 shouldn't be counted when comparing clubs because they were not around to compete for them before then.

The whole argument is completely stupid and could only have been thought up by a Spurs fan.

And they wonder why we think they are arrogant...

And spurs fans wonder why they are hated, i know a few of them and they are all stupid and all think they are a massive massive team.

Since the world began they have been nothing

Sorry Big John 10, but this had to be edited for "Objective" accuracy :)

That's a big improvement on my post, thanks.

.. the clubs were there, they were just non league clubs at the time.

I see. It's "just" that the vast majority of current clubs were non-league clubs at the time.

So the fact that this meant they weren't able to compete for all these 19th century trophies is entirely irrelevant to Villa's winning them is it? Pull the other one.

M.K Dons were founded in 2004... ..

The MK Dons are essentially Wimbledon FC re-named and re-located.

So the fact that this meant they weren't able to compete for all these 19th century trophies is entirely irrelevant to Villa's winning them is it? Pull the other one.

You won the FA cup as a non-league side in 1901. So don't talk crap. You were allowed to compete but instead you are now choosing to belittle our achievements because your club couldn't be arsed to get itself organised. You stay classy :thumb:

.. the clubs were there, they were just non league clubs at the time.

I see. It's "just" that the vast majority of current clubs were non-league clubs at the time.

Even if your absurd argument was convincing, I wouldn't trade our European Cup win for your entire history.

Or does your arbitrary timescale during which trophies actually count exclude that, too?

You won the FA cup as a non-league side in 1901. So don't talk crap. You were allowed to compete ...

Yes we did win the FA Cup in 1901, and remain the only non-league club ever to have done so.

But we were discussing the 19th century, not the 20th. And we were discussing the 4 "league titles" that Villa won in that era (league titles that the vast majority of today's clubs were not able to compete for), not to mention the three 19th century FA Cup trophies won by Villa.

Â