Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

I think Parker would be a great signing for you, but more as a ball winner who likes to drive forward. I think you need a quality, composed player in the middle to set the tempo, like you had in Barry. Parker is very gettable for you and I'd suggest someone like De Zeeuw at Ajax. I'd have gone for Pedro Mendes aswell, but he's gone to Sporting now.

A midfield of Young----De Zeeuw---Parker----Milner would be awesome and then you have Downing as an option aswell.

So we should sign two central midfielders who aren't as good as the two who currently play there for us and Pedro Mendes? Christ on a bike.

Mendes would probably be sixth choice central midfielder if we had signed him - what would have been the point?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joey, Milner has been fantastic in the middle for us. The only player in the side who picks out through balls to the strikers since Merson was at the club, and he does it with both feet as well as getting more shots away (and scoring goals!) than when he played wide.

He doesn't dominate the game against the top sides but hopefully that is because he has only played the role for a few months. I think he will continue to grow into it the more experience he gets and I hope Capello's suggestion that he could be the new Lampard comes to fruition.

Tottenham Hotspur 2 top flight league titles, no European Cup and almost half a century spent as a non top flight team! Absolutely blitzed in the main 2 competitions overall!

Let's all hear it for the super tots with less top 1, top 2, top 3, top 4, top 5 and top 6 finishes!(although they do play more long passes than any other team!)

If only we could finish in the top seven three times in the next 18 years like Spurs we'd be huge!!! :lol:

I also don't think poor players need pace. Henry, Messi, Ronaldo x2 all had pace, are they poor players?

But when pace is the first thing you come out with in an argument over whether they're good or not, it's kind of a sign that they're not that good otherwise.

It's like saying a girl has a great personality. You never hear anybody saying, "I banged this girl last night. Man her personality was something else and she was hot as ****."

Saying Milner is not much of a CM on the basis of the last match is like saying Defoe is not much of a striker because he hardly got the ball and when he did he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Ok, your point of Lennon being the best winger in the league, bar none - can you back this up with evidence and/or reasoned argument?

I believe I said the best right winger in the Prem (or if I didn't that's what I meant since he is mainly right-footed even if he sometimes switches to the left).

The evidence comes mainly from just seeing him play in comparison to others. Defences are more scared of him down the right than any other player, because no-one else can go past defenders as easily as he does and no-one panics defences as much he does. If you look at opposition message boards just before they play Spurs, usually the main worry they have is Lennon, or else relief if he is not fit to play.

His combination of blinding pace, devasting acceleration, change of direction on a sixpence, trickery and close ball-control at speed makes him mostly unstoppable except by conceding a corner (if the defender manages to get that close to him) or fouling (which of course comes at the expense of free-kicks in usually dangerous areas). According to ESPN's stats, he has been fouled 46 times in 20 appearances, whilst committing just 6 fouls himself.

His crossing ability has improved a lot (10 assists this season, in just 19 games started and 1 sub appearance) and he also does his fair share of tracking back and defensive duties. He also rarely loses the ball or gives it away from a bad pass.

I don't see any right winger who is as good in the Prem, far less better.

No you didnt say right winger, you said winger. I quoted you in my sig but it got too long when I was accumalating ridiculous spurs fans comments, so mods here sliced it up - thats a direct quote of what you said.

Also rarely gives the ball away? Are you taking the piss?

... Glaston said he is slow, I came back with an argument as to why Jimmy IS NOT slow.

I didn't say he was slow. I said he wasn't quick enough (and lacked sufficient abilty to beat players) to make it as an especially effective winger.

His being 100m schools champion means little in this respect. Speed in terms of being a winger is all about acceleration over much shorter distances, hitting top speed quickly, reaction time, anticipation and very often close ball control at top speed.

Besides, I doubt that Lennon even entered the schools 100m championships.

You mention acceleration - if you want to win a 100m race, your top speed is important but your acceleration is more so.

Lennon only has committed 6 fouls because he doesn't (and one could argue that he cannot) DEFEND. I think the best winger in the premiership would need a more balanced game than that. There is always one exception to every rule, being Ronaldo.

Ronaldo could defend mind you - certainly tracked back and put himself about if he needed it.

Unfortunately, GlastonSpur clearly believes that 'best at spurs' = 'best in league'

No doubt, defoe is the best finisher in the league, king and woodgate the best centre halves... so on...

... If only we could finish in the top seven three times in the next 18 years like Spurs we'd be huge!!! :lol:

Villa would be huge if they had won more trophies than Spurs in any single decade since World War 1.

Villa would be huge if Spurs had not won more trophies than them in 4 out of the last 5 decades.

Villa would be huge if Spurs had not won nearly twice as many trophies since World War 1.

Villa would have made a small step towards becoming huge if their last trophy wasn't 14 years ago, since when Spurs have added two trophies to their tally.

Villa would be huge were it not for the fact that a large proportion of all your trophies were won in the 19th century - when there were only a small number of clubs in the Football League, the whole league structure had not even properly formed and Villa were simply a big fish in a very small pond.

Villa would be huge were it not for the fact that it wasn't even until the early years of the 20th century that southern clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs even established themselves in the League ... since which time the trophy count of all these clubs has dwarfed Villas.

This again? Seriously Glaston you've won 2 leagues and no European Cup. I hate to go on about it but they are the most important trophies. Even if we go to the lesser trophies, you've won a single FA cup more than us and we've more league cups than you. But that all pales into insignificance alongside the first fact. 7 league titles to 2 - the most recent of our league titles coming 20 years after your most recent one so don't go on about ancient history. And we've won the big one. You would trade all of your other trophies to have that European Cup and it eats at you :lol:

Who cares when it happened it still happened.

That carries as much weight as me saying, you can't count Spurs double victory in 1961 because Manchester United and Liverpool hadn't truly established themselves or gained the monopolies that they one day would and if they had then Spurs wouldn't of won the title.

See that again Glaston the way you structure your arguments to support Spurs, but theres one things Spurs fan can never sing to opposing fans, 'Have you ever won the European Cup'?

And they never will in our lifetime.

7 league titles to 2 - the most recent of our league titles coming 20 years after your most recent one so don't go on about ancient history. And we've won the big one. You would trade all of your other trophies to have that European Cup and it eats at you :lol:

Are the important facts. :lol:

... If only we could finish in the top seven three times in the next 18 years like Spurs we'd be huge!!! :lol:

Villa would be huge if they had won more trophies than Spurs in any single decade since World War 1.

Villa would be huge if Spurs had not won more trophies than them in 4 out of the last 5 decades.

Villa would be huge if Spurs had not won nearly twice as many trophies since World War 1.

Villa would have made a small step towards becoming huge if their last trophy wasn't 14 years ago, since when Spurs have added two trophies to their tally.

Villa would be huge were it not for the fact that a large proportion of all your trophies were won in the 19th century - when there were only a small number of clubs in the Football League, the whole league structure had not even properly formed and Villa were simply a big fish in a very small pond.

Villa would be huge were it not for the fact that it wasn't even until the early years of the 20th century that southern clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs even established themselves in the League ... since which time the trophy count of all these clubs has dwarfed Villas.

And some people wonder why your not liked around here.

Â