PL: Wolves a 2009/10/24 Ratings and Reactions

limpid

A dreadful, dreadful performance. O'Neill really has no other plan than to get it wide all game, then bring Emile on after 70ish minutes. Pathetic.
Except it nearly worked as Emile set up the goal and if it wasn't for a moment of madness from Sidwell and poor officiating it would have.

Jesus the first half looked like everyone except our defenders had forgot how to play football, terrible execution of pretty much everything we tried. Second half at least looked like we could attack every now and then. Collins was great, Gabby did his job, Heskey did something finally.

Carew still isn't doing anything, drop him for next game please.

Worst first half I've seen since Wigan. Warnock was great today, as was Collins. Young? I'm sorry but he needs dropping, a rocket up his arse. Serious questions need to be asked of us now as an attacking unit. We look predictable, bereft of ideas, and Carew has had his chance to show his worth up there but was once again awful today. And a very tough visit to Goodison next week.

Top four? we look just about top 6-8 on this performance.

Ratings for me:

Friedel - 7

Didn't have too much to do, looked pretty solid under a reign of Wolves corners and remained assured in the second half with the sun in his eyes. Couldn't have really done much about the penalty.

Cuéllar - 6

Decent defensive game, but doesn't offer us the same attacking element as Warnock does at left-back. Can't really blame him for this as he is, of course, a central defender. None of Collins, Dunne or Cuéllar deserve to lose their place, but I think I'd like to see Luke Young back in the team when he's ready so Carlos may need to be dropped.

Dunne - 7

Another solid game from the Irishman, unlucky not to keep another clean sheet in the end but could have arguably given away an early penalty. Good leadership qualities at the back, though, and menacing going forwards (although not as much as in recent games).

Collins - 8

Very good performance from The Undertaker. Looks assured and composed at the back, gives it his all and doesn't really panic.

Warnock - 6

Some good moments mixed with poorer moments today from Warnock. I think he got forward well but his defending was occassionally a bit suspect. I'd still much rather see him playing than Shorey, though, and I think he'll improve over the season.

Milner - 8

Typical committed performance from Yorkshire Jimmy. Got around very well and was in the right place to clear off the line. Unfortunately, I think towards the end of the game he didn't control the ball very well and he misplaced a few crosses, which took away from an otherwise good performance.

Petrov - 5

Not enough effort today from the captain. The game passed him by and he didn't seem to make too much effort to get into it. That said, he did sometimes take up good positions only to see the ball go over his head. However, once again when he did have the ball, we saw many more backwards and sideways passes than incisive through balls - yet the frequent lack of movement up front probably didn't help.

Sidwell - 5

Could have had a goal if Dunne wouldn't have been in the way, but also gave away a penalty with a fairly poor challenge. I think he may be seen as a bit of a scapegoat but doesn't deserve this as he took up some decent positions on the edge of the box - he could really do with a goal and hopefully he'll get one sooner rather than later. Did lose the ball a few times though, and played some frustratingly poor passes.

Young - 5

Disappointing by his standards, as he has been so many times this season. Good ball to set off the attack for our goal, though.

Carew - 5

Could have given him a much lower rating, but he did improve in the second half. Very poor first half though. He just doesn't look particularly fired up for games any more. Lazy?

Agbonlahor - 8

Got about well and would have provided more for Carew if Big John would have been more bothered. Didn't do as well when he was pushed out on to the right against the giant Elokobi, but despite a few tame shots (he was in the right place, though) he played a good game and grabbed what was almost our winner.

Heskey - 6

Always looks sluggish and tired to me - even when he's just come on - although I guess that's just his style of play and us Villa fans prefer our players when they're constantly running their socks off. Got the assist though and maybe deserves to start ahead of Carew.

A very very poor performance and in my opinion indicative of the season so far. We are an excellent team off the ball, we are organised, work hard and pressurise opposition teams in to also not playing well, but our play (or lack of) with the ball has been pretty atrocious. We can hardly string 2 or 3 passes together between midfield and attack and our delivery into the box has been very poor indeed for the most part. Essentially it's our defense that's keeping us in games, and yet again today, while we very rarely look threatened at the back, though too often i would say, we looked even more toothless up front and fairly vacuous in midfield. Essentially i think it's the midfield that is letting us down, i think some of that being players out of form, but much of it being the tactical decisions of MON. Overall a fair result today, though once we got the goal we should of held on for a win.

Friedel - 7 Not too much to do but did what he had to well.

Cuellar - 6 Fairly solid but distribution wasn't too good.

Dunne - 6 Fairly solid again but a few lapses such as the Doyle one where we were lucky not to give away a penalty.

Collins - 7 Crunchingly solid, makes some great tackles and really got stuck in to them.

Warnock - 6 Again pretty solid at the back, but his set piece delivery sucked.

Milner - 5 Hard working as always but delivery substandard yet again.

Petrov - 5 Some good play and a few good touches but found himself overun in the centre with only sidwell to support him.

Sidwell - 5 Industrious and hardworking but dived in to the tackle far too often, the last time of course giving away the penalty.

Young - 5 Another poor match, worked hard but just didn't deliver whet we expect of him.

Carew - 5 Pretty poor but then again didn't exactly have much to work with and didn't get much support from the ref either. I always wonder why MON starts with him and not Heskey, as Carew always more dangerous as a substitute and seems to have a habit of scoring when he comes on late, but not scoring when he starts.

Gabby - 7 Worked hard and took the goal well, but had a fair few times when he had the ball on the edge of the box and made some poor decisions.

Heskey - 7 Came on and made the goal, but other than that didn't really change things too much.

MON - 6 Unimaginative, after a poor first half where it obviously wasn't working for us, failed to change it around until lat e on, though in fairness his uninspired substitution of Heskey did bring the goal.

Ref - 7 A fairly consistent performance, for the most part let the game flow (if you could call it that) and got the key decisons right.

Carew for me has to be relegated to the bench for the next game. he's not pulling his weight.

I thought Collins, Warnock and Cuellar were the best players for us.

Another goal for gab and Heskey involved so he should have a chance to start next match.

We're unlucky not to get 3 points. It was very windy, raining and sun was in our eyes 2nd half and it was a scrappy game but wolves are total árse gravey, we'd destroy them at Villa Park just a load of body builders who take long throws.

It's always tough in a local derby, but it's going to be tough away at burnley and stoke so I'll take the point.

Not sure what to make of that, we were disjointed and scrappy and although we played much better in the second half I don't think we ever really got going.

Friedel - 6 - Can't remember him having much to do.

Warnock - 4 - As good as he was last week he was bad today, errors, poor positional play, a cheap booking and poor passing. A good player having a very bad game.

Dunne - 6 - Solid enough, got lucky with the early decision.

Collins - 6 - Solid again, strong in the tackle.

Cuellar - 7 - Our best player on the day I thought.

Young - 5 - Not good, didn't beat his man, never really had a run into space and got caught out to often. He's the one that suffers most from our lack of fluency.

Petrov - 4- Very poor today, never really got involved, never got a foot on the ball, never got forward and never started us passing. A shadow of last weeks performance.

Sidwell - 6 - At fault for the penalty but got about the pitch at least, mobility is useful when the team has decided not to pass the ball.

Miner - 6 - Industrious but couldn't get final balls working.

Carew - 6 - Target man, not great with the ball at his feet today but won the ball in the air on most occasions.

Gabby - 6 - Just behind Cuellar for best player imo, if he'd finished the early chance I think it could have been a different story today, but he kept at it and got yet another derby goal.

I thought the ref was poor, but not decisively so and I think MON needs to get over his spat with Reo Coker and find ways we can be less reliant on the long ball. We didn't need to play like Bolton today, we had better players in a lot of positions. Our style of play evened things up.

Still, on another day we'd have won regardless and if we can draw away games in 2nd gear, then I think we can do well this season. It's a disappointing performance and day, but I'm still hopeful for the next three games in this little cluster.

If Wolves maintain that work rate and belief, we'll get another chance to fix this next season, they look more than capable of staying up.

So bloody frustrating. We have come on a bundle this year defensively, I congratulate MON for doing it.

But you can see why we are better defensively. Because he focus on laying low and Sidwell/Petrov is an extremely defensive duo. As well as Milner who has done virtually nothing going forward this season.

We have scored 13 goals in 9 games. Not very good when you look at the amount of points we have taken. Because we have beed solid and unspectacular - with no approach, no system, no design

Today's goal was pretty, because of one man. Ashley Young. He received a hopeless ball but he flicked it on rather beautifully, and the rest was also nice although straightforward. Pass, pass, pass, turn, goal.

Friedel - 7 - good control on crosses and generally good display although his penalty saving ratio was left behind at Ewood Park!

Warnock - 6 - Kept on fighting his own battle with the linesman

Dunne - 4 - hopeless passing and clumsy at the back. Should have been given a red card after his fumble and subsequent tumble with Doyle

Collins - 6 - Good display and won his headers.

Cuellar - 6 - Decent enough even though he looks so nervous, and he loves to hoof them up the right side without any direction. Poor oppostion.

Young - 4 - Looks like he couldn't care less and is totally on his own as our chains don't link together. Poor delivery all over. One nice flick for our goal

Petrov - 4 - A defensive player, which indicates we have to play a diamond formation or a 5-man midfield to work, over time. Today he was worthless

Sidwell - 3 - Seldom does a player warrant a 3 but he was closer to a 2 rather than a 4. Misses every pass, does not do anything going forward, misses tackles all the time, makes stupid decisions and generally lacks that control in the middle you see from other players in the Premier League. Is he our main man? If so, MON has done a brilliant job at executing crappy decisions. When he struck Dunne on that open goal chance, I just shaked my head in disbelief.. So typical.... and when he needlessly manages to smash down the Wolves player in the box in the 84th minute, when he has NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER to reach the ball, it tells something about his mentality, his smartness and his general approach. He is a mediocre enforcer at best, someone we can keep on the bench and toss on when we are either defending a lead or wanting to get some aggression on the pitch. Above all though, he is our main attacking midfielder and does anyone else wonder why we have scored 13 goals after 9 games? I don't.

Gabby - 7 - Extremely bad touch and decision-making at times. That miss after 40 seconds is horrible and he got into the same position later, with defensive cover, and instead of doing something about it he hits a poor shot/pass without any hope. Good goal, nice turn and shot.

Carew - 4 - Should have had a penalty and several other free-kicks, but instead of getting on with it he starts to sulk to the ref and his game is lost.

Subs:

Heskey - 6 - Wins a few headers and gets the assist. Made an impression so I can't complaint.

Our brand of football is no longer fun and games with a flowing type of passing and running. It's long balls and compact defending, leaving everything else to a few players who has to play against a ten-man wall. That's why we aren't conceeding, that's why we aren't scoring either.

And why MON didn't sub Steve Sidwell when he saw what kind of display he had, the danger he was to our lead, it's amazing.... we got exactly what we deserved, a draw. Against a team which is going to relegate with ease.

My ratings

Fridel - 7 - not much to do really

Cuellar - 6 - not really a right back is he?

Collins - 7 - another good game from the ginger Panzer

Dunne - 6 - not as good as he has been.

Warnock - 8 - what a great player he is

Milner - 7.5 - worked his knackers off as usual

Petrov - 5 - completely anonymous

Sidwell - 4 - completely anonymous, and cost us all three points with a hopeless challenge

Young - 3 - Abysmal, needs dropping as soon as Downing is fit

Gabby - 8 - worked his socks off, contributed loads, and scored a well taken goal

Carew - 3 - I'm a big fan of Carew normally, but he did precisely **** all today, and worse, seems to be going through the motions

O'Neill - 4 - same old plan A of missing out the centre of midfield, getting it wide, then bringing on Heskey after 70 minutes to not score. Predictable and very dull to watch.

Today was like watching myself play FIFA when I have the shoot and long pass button the wrong way round. Poor passing and Sidwell gave the ball away 3 times in our own half which left it 2 on 2. Awful performance by him aside from the penalty.

Best player today was Collins, then Milner. Apart from that no none could come off the field feeling like they gave it their all.

Referee was merchant bank as well. Didn't let the game flow, stopped play is someone farted, ridiculous.

Guest Ricardomeister

will start with the positives...Collins was excellent again, Milner was at least his consistent self, a well taken goal from Gabby..and at least we did not lose.

However, our overall performance summed up why I keep saying that I do not think we will finish in the top 6, let alone the top 4. We simply do not have the quality that the Sky 4, Spuds and Citeh have.

The midfield, Milner apart, were very poor. MON's pre match comment about Ash being the best of his type in Europe was quite frankly ludicrous. His form from open play in particular has been way down on his best. Sidwell may be a lucky charm in that we do no lose when he starts but another ludicrous bit of defending by him has cost us 2 points. I will repeat my request for NRC to be brought back. Petrov is a decent player but I still do not think he is a top 6 standard player. I expected Carew to finally show some application and class today but he was again woeful and showed no appetite. I was even relieved when MON put Heskey on in his place.

All in all, not the end of the world but we have to improve in most areas as we cannot expect to keep picking up points when we test the opposition keepers so infrequently.

Harsh on our defence, I think our defence was actually very good. I mean when did they test Brad Friedel, apart from a stupid challenge?

I agree, the defence wasn't the problem today. The problem was the midfield and style of play. No point getting it out wide at every opportunity when you've got a winger as out of form as Ashley Young.

Milner was at least his consistent self

But what does Milner offer going forward? Is he good enough in this role? He is a right midfielder and winger, which means he has attacking repsonsebilities but I just think he doesn't get high enough in the pitch. Too defensive, crossing not even top 50 in the league and smartness with his decisions and passes are just not there.