LC: Sunderland a Match Thread 2009/10/27 19:45

herefordvillan

Totally agree with 'daft.' We are not good enough yet to rest key players against one of our main rivals this season. However, against Wolves i would rest Sidwell for Reo-Coker, Dunne for Cuellar and play Luke Young at RB. I would also keep Gabby on the bench and play Carew up front on his own with maybe Delph in an attacking role of a midfield five. Should still be enough to beat Wolves and allow us to rest some players.

You are heavily underestimating our opponents. How can you ever justify resting key players ina premier league game to save them for a near-meanlingless cup game against Sunderland?

MON will keep the same team for Wolves and this is highly important for us - the league is always priority!

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is time to utilise the squad players - now that we've actually got a squad!

I'd personally give Young, Shorey, NRC, Heskey, Delfouneso, Delph and Gardner a run out to allow a bit of rest for the other players and an opportunity for those playing to stake a claim for a starting place in the Prem.

Surely MON'll be keeping an eye of the CM positions after Sidwell's poor performance yesterday?

I'd go with:-

..................Guzan (I'd play him in both cup comps this season)

Young.Cuellar.Collins.Shorey

......Gardner.NRC.Delph

.................Milner

........Heskey.Delfouneso

Subs: Friedel, Clarke, Petrov, Sidwell, Young, Gabby, Carew

Personally I thought Petrov was the lesser of our central midfielders yesterday.

For this I'd like to see:

-------------------Friedel----------------------

Young-----Collins---------Dunne----Warnock

---------Reo Coker-------Petrov--------------

Milner------------Sidwell---------------Young

-----------------Agbonlahor-------------------

I won't get that as it seems Heskey will start. If he does, then I would hope it's for Sidwell or Petrov in a 4-4-2 or for Gabby in a 4-5-1. I'd like to see everyone else play.

We really can't afford to lose this game, if we do then our season is to a large extent over. The two competitions we had a really good chance to do well in are this one and the Europa League. I can't see us getting to the final of an FA Cup that includes the top teams in this country and I don't think we're top four contenders.

If we lose tomorrow, our season will come down to hoping for a big slice of luck in the FA Cup or a fight for fifth and sixth with Spurs, Sunderland, Liverpool and Everton.

It's a big game and it'll be tough, Sunderland are a good side. In my opinion, if we play a strong team we'll win, if we don't we won't.

Assuming Luke Young is back to full fitness

----------------Guzan------------------

L Young---Collins---Clarke---Warnock

Albrighton---NRC---Delph---A Young

--------Delfouneso---Carew------------

Subs: Marshall, Baye, Petrov, Dunne, Gabby, Heskey, Milner

this would be my team on the night...

Personally I thought Petrov was the lesser of our central midfielders yesterday.

For this I'd like to see:

-------------------Friedel----------------------

Young-----Collins---------Dunne----Warnock

---------Reo Coker-------Petrov--------------

Milner------------Sidwell---------------Young

-----------------Agbonlahor-------------------

I won't get that as it seems Heskey will start. If he does, then I would hope it's for Sidwell or Petrov in a 4-4-2 or for Gabby in a 4-5-1. I'd like to see everyone else play.

We really can't afford to lose this game, if we do then our season is to a large extent over. The two competitions we had a really good chance to do well in are this one and the Europa League. I can't see us getting to the final of an FA Cup that includes the top teams in this country and I don't think we're top four contenders.

If we lose tomorrow, our season will come down to hoping for a big slice of luck in the FA Cup or a fight for fifth and sixth with Spurs, Sunderland, Liverpool and Everton.

It's a big game and it'll be tough, Sunderland are a good side. In my opinion, if we play a strong team we'll win, if we don't we won't.

I came in here to express my views ahead of this game only to find you have already done so and not for the first time.

Annoying but gratifyingly time saving. :lol:

Sod the league, the best we'll finish is 6th and then we'll go out of Europe early on anyway. I'd rather go to Wembley and see us win something.

Also i don't really want to travel all the way up there to see a reserve team get stuffed and to watch that donkey Heskey stumble around the pitch for 90 minutes.

Those saying Albrighton and L. Young to start is a little premature in my opinion.

We need to win this. I'd strengthen the team with the inclusion of NRC, Emile and Beye -

--------------Guzan-----------------

Beye----Dunne---Collins----Warnock

Milner----NRC---Petrov----A.Young

--------Emile----Agbonlahor------

I feel Beye is better at getting forward than Carlos and away from home we are set up better with him included.

Sunderland's top scorer Darren Bent will not be risked after jarring his knee against Birmingham on Saturday.

Defender John Mensah is out with a calf injury and Phil Bardsley is unlikely to overcome a shoulder problem.

According to the BBC

Good news Bent being out injured!

Guzan

Beye/Young-Cuellar-Clark-Shorey

Milner-ReoCoker-Gardner-Delph

Agbonlahor-Heskey

and hopefully rest Gabby and Milner for Fonz and Albrighton in the 2nd half.

I think Clark earned himself another start with his performance when called on in the league.

We gotta show some faith in fringe players in games like this. Need to give people like Petrov, Young a rest. People aren't going to want to see us resting key players in league games, so if not now, when exactly do they get rested/rotated?

i think we now have sufficient strength that we can make 4 or 5 changes without really weakening the team - in previous seasons bringing players like Gardner & Osbourne in weakened us, however i'd like to see Guzan, L.Young, Shorey, Delph, Reo-Coker, Heskey all given starts, all of those would walk into 75% of teams in the premier league, and they should be absolutely chomping at the bit to win their place in the team back.

I'd have a mixture of youth and experience on the bench dependant on how the game is going with 20 mins left - if we're looking okay then lads like albrighton and the fonz can be given a go

-------------------Guzan---------------------

Beye-----Cuellar-----Collins-----Warnock

--------Milner----Petrov----Delph---------

Albrighton----------------------------Young

------------------Gabby---------------------

Never goin to happen but id love to see this