The dugout!

sparey16

Should it change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should it change?

• Yes
    • No

I don't understand this whole "The players are reminded why they're on the bench and it's not a luxury" - I really don't think it'll make any player get less annoyed if they're not playing because they're sitting one of those Recaro seats. Our dugout looks shit, we're trying to establish ourselves as a top 4 team, but if we want to be a top 4 team, atleast we could have a dugout like a top 4 team and not some plastic shelter which they have at old stadiums with a track around the field!

Maybe we should start a trend instead of following one. Let's replace our bench with sofas and lots of big comfy cushions. Maybe a few bean bags too for the younger lads.

Uncomfortable rusty seats in the dugout.

In the passage leading to the pitch some nice old prints over on the opposition side of players being stretchered off with a coat over their head after a butchering by Frank Barson, George Curtis or Andy Lochhead.

Something like 'This is Anfield' but much more macabre and threatening.

Dear old Albert, the 88-year-old Visitors' Dressing Room Attendant, snot streaming from his nose, nice clean white coat already soiled by the afternoon's first three attacks of diarrhea. No, change that to dear old Douglas, well it'd give the old duffer something to do.

His young protege Noel Blake looking after their belongings during the match.

A dressing Room Ghost.

A personal handshake and smile from Craig Gardner.

Loud Black Sabbath music as they come out on to the pitch.

Make Villa Park a fortress. The dugout is already in place.

Like it. Should have a chapel in the away dressing room, a la Camp Nou. Maybe even a priest to hear confessions before our guests step onto the pitch.

Loud Black Sabbath music as they come out on to the pitch.

Make Villa Park a fortress. The dugout is already in place.

I like the idea of some good old fashioned Brummie music Sled! We should walk out to War Pigs and set the tone for the following 90 minutes play :twisted:

MON seems to wear a lot of black on the touchline, maybe he is a closet goth!

I'm with you Vojskovoda - if we want to be a big club, it's time to act like a big club.

We are in the era of the squad, it's not simply a meter of '**** him , he's been dropped put him in the plastic seats' !!

I must say though, Wembley is the same, it amazed me to see that Coppello and the Endland players sit on cold plastic seats just like the ones that the fans sit in.

On that subject, having been on a few corporate days at Wembley, the changing rooms are shyte as well.

That stadium must have been very rushed in the end !

I like the bench. I think it was Owen Coyle that said he didnt want fancy comfy warm seats for his subs to sit on as being on the bench meant players were more determined to get on the field and play.

Or something along those lines.

I agree with him none the less. I know if i was a manager i wouldnt want my players relaxing on expensive seats during a match. Keep them bollocks cold on a winters day on a hard wooden bench i say!

Its an interesting point until you consider that Manchester United have done quite well in recent years and they have comfy seats in their dugout.

I like the bench. I think it was Owen Coyle that said he didnt want fancy comfy warm seats for his subs to sit on as being on the bench meant players were more determined to get on the field and play.

Or something along those lines.

I agree with him none the less. I know if i was a manager i wouldnt want my players relaxing on expensive seats during a match. Keep them bollocks cold on a winters day on a hard wooden bench i say!

Its an interesting point until you consider that Manchester United have done quite well in recent years and they have comfy seats in their dugout.

Well, maybe it helps them to keep overpaid and not used big name players happy without playing?

I don't know. I'm old fashioned when it comes to these things. Why have comfortable seats in the dugout? Doesn't make you look classy. Makes you look spoiled. No, keep it as it is. We pay about £30 to sit on plastic chairs, they're paid about £50k so they can sit on plastic chairs as well. They'll survive.

I'm really quite surprised that anyone gives a shit to be honest. If Barcelona decided to remove the seats and make the players stand they'd still be a big club.

A seat is a seat. If the seats are uncomfortable they should get up and jog around a bit instead.

How many of the top four have suffered from "over comfy bench so not botthered to be there syndrome"? NONE! Bollox, I agree with the poster who says it is a part of aesthetically upgrading and modernising our ground. Traditionalism and all that is wonderful but we have to move with the times to continue to be attractive to the newer generation, whether it's a small issue or not...if we can do it then why not?

MON is also the one who doesnt like his players doing things like Weight training...WTF?! Some old school principles are well respected by me and have a positive effect on the team, but there are other areas on which i don't feel MON should have, or even want to necessarily have an influence on.

It's called a bench for a reason.
I'd go further. It's called a dugout for a reason too. Back to dugouts that really are dug out.

Indeed! On a bit of a tangent but I've never understood the advantage of a dugout. I presume the purpose of it is to get low down to the pitch for a "better" view.

But from my experience from watching football games, especially at VP, the lower down you are the less you can see (in terms of the whole pitch, players' positions etc), so why is it an advantage?

Tim The Villain & alike,

Seeing that you think players should have more comfortable seating on the bench and get with the times etc. Do you also advocate the wearing of headphones and being "chilled out" whilst sitting on the bench, waiting for a game?

It drives me mad to see players sitting, listening to music, when they should be watching the game to see how it is developing just in case they do manage to get on the pitch! How can a player get a feel for the atmosphere when he is listening to some speed garage or whatever it is they listen to!

I think that the dugout should be left as it is. It's called "sitting on the bench" for a reason. Until the day comes when they rename the non-selection of players to "Sitting in the chair", I think they should refrain from installing chairs.

Maybe we could have a drinks machine fitted in it and maybe a subway kiosk? Hmm? a bit of carpet maybe? or should we concentrate our priorities elsewhere! Oh now that does sound like a good idea!