PL: Chelsea h 2009/10/17 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

You'd have definitely caught it Petr? Like you caught that cross at Stoke which you completely **** up? I actually hope Carew did foul him. Would make the goal even sweeter.

Carew was holding Terry down for the first goal - a hand on the shoulder, to impede any jump. Or maybe it was just a gesture of friendship. I suppose the lack of an appeal meant Terry didn't try to jump.

You'd have definitely caught it Petr? Like you caught that cross at Stoke which you completely **** up? I actually hope Carew did foul him. Would make the goal even sweeter.

Carew was holding Terry down for the first goal - a hand on the shoulder, to impede any jump. Or maybe it was just a gesture of friendship. I suppose the lack of an appeal meant Terry didn't try to jump.

Not until after the goal.... :D :D :lol:

Carew's defensive work in the 4-4-2 is excellent to help out but he still has to do more and by that I mean the basics, hold the ball up and at least make himself a goal threat, at the end of the day we haven't got that player who can do both, what were lacking is a Robbie Keane sorta player, a player who can drop in and help out in the midfield when needed or sit in front of a holding midfielder before then making himself available for the ball and supporting the striker. Carew is dropping deeper and then when we get the ball, he's rarely available because he's so deep and if he is available it's in a position where he's only going to play the ball 5 yards or he keeps losing it.

He's really got to hold the ball up and keep it and provide a bigger threat for us, He's got to work his socks of for 65/70 minutes, helping out and then getting into the box, then Heskey can come on in the last 20 minutes.

Gabby is carrying our attack really.

Agbonhalor - 9 -Class and i think he will get better, he is really using that extra weight and is set for SA if he continues on this form. I really thought he was heading for Luke Young Territory last year but he keeps upping his game when needed.

Luke Moore b6?

Yep Luke Moore :oops:

Great win!! Thought we would struggle to get a draw and then when they scored I thought it would be all over. Chelsea has looked very strong this season and I think they'll win the league which made me think that negative. I'm glad I was so wrong. We had 12 lions out there this staurday and they all fought hard. Friedel even had the courage to give Chelsea a free goal just to humiliate them even more... :P He more than made up for that mistake later. He turned into a wall.

Collins, Dunne, Petrov, Milner, well, the obvious ones were immense. Collins or Petrov MOTM IMO. Warnock is also showing why we signed him. I just hope that this new defence of ours keep on going like this. And there are no signs on that they won't.

Was more than a bit worried when he once again left NRC out of the first 11, but who can argue with him now? He got everything spot on. It wasn't even a chance they scored on.

Ashley clearly isn't in top form, he took too many wrong decisions, but he keeps on fighting and that's a sign of a true pro and what makes me quite calm that he'll get back in form sooner or later. After all, he got 2 assists in this game, which isn't exactly that bad.

Now, for that penalty that never was. Thought it was clear as a day, but apparently, the "experts" in the studio here in Sweden said it wasn't and came up with a ridiculous explanation about Bosingwa falling over and Gabby leaning against him and when he fell Gabby fell too cause he hadn't anything to lean against. As I saw it, Bosingwa pulled him down and it looked like he knew and was waiting for the call that never came. What did they say in the Sky studio?

We've had a strange start of this season, but we're still up there in the top and I'm enjoying it once again. :nod:

A fantastic result born from true British grit and determination. For the first 15 minutes we were the team who were actually playing the better football, but when Chelsea scored through a mistake by Freidal, then we returned to the hoofball fooball that has become common practice with our team.

Thank god that Chelsea were as poor at the back against set pieces as we used to be, because we never were going to score from open play. We have no-one to supply the killer pass to open up defences, although Petrov had his best game in a Villa shrt by a country mile, but we still lack the creativity that Chelsea had. They carved our defence open with some sublime passing but thankfully, couldn't put away their one on one's with our keeper. It wasn't actually good goalkeeping that kept Chelsea out, it was more Chelsea's poor finishing, as their shooting was directed soley at Freidal, rather than either side of him.

Neverthless, everyone in our team, apart from Carew, who is quickly becoming a waste of space, gave 100% to the cause and although the result flattered us slightly, we have now beaten both Liverpool and Chelsea and we are dealing with the high ball into our box a lot better!

I just wish we could show a little more creativity through the middle of our team as not every side in the Premiership will be unable to deal with our set pieces. The signing of a quality playmaker in January along with a quality striker will make us less predicable going forward!

Jesus wept. We beat Chelsea 2-1 and play extraordinarily well and you can only see negatives.

I think you were perhaps listening a bit too hard to statisticians . We clearly offered a significant threat from open play. What about the chance where we were denied a stonewall penalty? How about the fantastic cross from Young, that Milner played across to Carew, who was inches from scoring. We had plenty of chances, and 2 clear cut, well constructed ( 'creative') moves. And this was against what was the best defence in the league, I believe.

Unless you've not noticed, we're not Chelsea, nor are we as good as Chelsea, but we beat them today. Of course they've got more creativity, because they've got a better team (and they spent a few quid constructing it too). I think that's a given. It's good to aspire to the standards that they set, but we're miles away from them at the moment, so it's unrealistic to expect to exhibit the same level of creativity as they do.

I used to believe that we could do with a little midfield playmaker, but I'm not so sure now. The blend in the midfield seems right at the moment. I felt Petrov was excellent both in defence and attack yesterday and Sidwell seems to be the glue that keeps it all together. Sidwell is not the most eye-catching player, but he works hard and it seems to be working at the moment. Bring in a playmaker and we might become a little powderpuff in central midfield, especially with so much attacking intent down the wings.

Althought it is also worth mentioning that Downing will be back by late November (so I read this morning). Who know's where he will slot in? Maybe central midfield? I can't see him sitting patiently on the bench anyway.

All fair points but i think you also forget that we too have spent a lot of money and it has still taken our manager four years to get our defence on a sound footing.

You say it's unrealistic to expect us to show the same sort of creativity as Chelsea. That is correct, but then, Chelsea have purchased creative players, we have not.

Our midfield is too one dimensional and with the exception of Gabby, our forward line is too static!

I therefore agree that in general play we are still miles away from Chelsea's standard, but that is my point. Until we purchase midfield creative players who are comfortable on the ball, especially when under pressure, we will continue to be Martin O'Neill's reborn Leicester City, instead of Martin O'Neill's new Arsenal!

thought bosingwa played better than a 6 and dunne and collins were better than 7s.

agreed on dunne and collins but I thought bosingwa was pretty crap to be honest, not the most disciplined of defenders and he was caught out often during the game. fine going forward but 6 a generous enough mark for me for him.

I am often very sceptical when fans of the home team scream for a penalty but watching the game on a poorish stream the Bosingwa/Gabby incident looked very much like a penalty.

I then saw it in slow motion from behind it was quite clear what had happened.

I am also often very sceptical when fans blame the poor old referee for every decision that goes against their team, even the perfectly correct ones. I wondered if the referee had been badly-positioned for that particular incident.

In fact he had what looked to me like a perfect view of it. Though of course he didn't have an action replay in slow motion. That's the only excuse I can make for him. That and the fact it's a difficult job and everybody makes mistakes.

He'll have seen the pictures himself and will know that he should have given a penalty. It was absolutely cast-iron. But even an honest Chel$ki fan sitting in the Witton Lane Stand and having a fairly similar view to what was on the TV will know that. Or an honest bluenose watching it on the telly in the sex-offenders' wing. Good job we won Mr Friend. Good job we won.

Just to change the topic of the thread slightly, it is clear that Chelski have some really good players - first touch and passing etc is excellent - but four things struck me about them on Saturday.

- their balance looks poor with the diamond and no right sided midfielder. Deco drifts in and leaves Bosingwa isolated.

- Frank Lampard doesn't look half the player in a 4-4-2 when he has more "defensive" responsibilities and you take away the goals

- Ivanovic looked really poor - crap first touch - and a bit chunky for a professional footballer.

- Cech has lost what made him the best and is probably now a bottom half Premier League keeper. Certainly not in the same class as Given + some others.

I think Ancelotti has got his work cut out if he is going to get anywhere in the CL. Possibles for Premier League as Man U look weaker. I wouldn't mind an outside bet on Arsenal if they can keep their first team fit. I would personally switch back to 4-3-3 asap.

A fantastic result born from true British grit and determination. For the first 15 minutes we were the team who were actually playing the better football, but when Chelsea scored through a mistake by Freidal, then we returned to the hoofball fooball that has become common practice with our team.

Thank god that Chelsea were as poor at the back against set pieces as we used to be, because we never were going to score from open play. We have no-one to supply the killer pass to open up defences, although Petrov had his best game in a Villa shrt by a country mile, but we still lack the creativity that Chelsea had. They carved our defence open with some sublime passing but thankfully, couldn't put away their one on one's with our keeper. It wasn't actually good goalkeeping that kept Chelsea out, it was more Chelsea's poor finishing, as their shooting was directed soley at Freidal, rather than either side of him.

Neverthless, everyone in our team, apart from Carew, who is quickly becoming a waste of space, gave 100% to the cause and although the result flattered us slightly, we have now beaten both Liverpool and Chelsea and we are dealing with the high ball into our box a lot better!

I just wish we could show a little more creativity through the middle of our team as not every side in the Premiership will be unable to deal with our set pieces. The signing of a quality playmaker in January along with a quality striker will make us less predicable going forward!

Jesus wept. We beat Chelsea 2-1 and play extraordinarily well and you can only see negatives.

I think you were perhaps listening a bit too hard to statisticians . We clearly offered a significant threat from open play. What about the chance where we were denied a stonewall penalty? How about the fantastic cross from Young, that Milner played across to Carew, who was inches from scoring. We had plenty of chances, and 2 clear cut, well constructed ( 'creative') moves. And this was against what was the best defence in the league, I believe.

Unless you've not noticed, we're not Chelsea, nor are we as good as Chelsea, but we beat them today. Of course they've got more creativity, because they've got a better team (and they spent a few quid constructing it too). I think that's a given. It's good to aspire to the standards that they set, but we're miles away from them at the moment, so it's unrealistic to expect to exhibit the same level of creativity as they do.

I used to believe that we could do with a little midfield playmaker, but I'm not so sure now. The blend in the midfield seems right at the moment. I felt Petrov was excellent both in defence and attack yesterday and Sidwell seems to be the glue that keeps it all together. Sidwell is not the most eye-catching player, but he works hard and it seems to be working at the moment. Bring in a playmaker and we might become a little powderpuff in central midfield, especially with so much attacking intent down the wings.

Althought it is also worth mentioning that Downing will be back by late November (so I read this morning). Who know's where he will slot in? Maybe central midfield? I can't see him sitting patiently on the bench anyway.

All fair points but i think you also forget that we too have spent a lot of money and it has still taken our manager four years to get our defence on a sound footing.

You say it's unrealistic to expect us to show the same sort of creativity as Chelsea. That is correct, but then, Chelsea have purchased creative players, we have not.

Our midfield is too one dimensional and with the exception of Gabby, our forward line is too static!

I therefore agree that in general play we are still miles away from Chelsea's standard, but that is my point. Until we purchase midfield creative players who are comfortable on the ball, especially when under pressure, we will continue to be Martin O'Neill's reborn Leicester City, instead of Martin O'Neill's new Arsenal!

Chelsea have had the lure of Champion's League football when they were investing and they were blowing everyone else in the market out of the water. Whilst we've spent quite a lot of money, we've hardly blown anyone out of the water. You've seen it yourself. Everything about the club can be shite (Man City), but if you huge amounts of money, you will attract a few prestige players (initially Robinho) and then that evolves and becomes 'ambition'.

I daresay if MON had the opportunity to buy players of the calibre of Lampard, Drogba, Malouda, Deco, Bosingwa (etc), he'd have bought them.

But I do agree with your sentiment to an extent. You can just 'go out' and buy excellent world class creative players and make a good team. It can be that easy. Blackburn, Man Utd, Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid have shown that. But that approach is not relevant for us (for many reasons, but essentially) because we can't realistically afford it.