Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

According to Royal Mail my cpy has been handed over to the Swedish mail service and should be with me tomorrow. Really looking forward to it now. Wanted to give Demon's Souls a pop last night but couldn't find the damned thing, :(

Mine came today! Managed to get hold of the special edition with the art book. Demon's Souls really did cement itself as one of my favourite games of all time, can't wait to get immersed in this. Just got through the starting, tutorial type area, so far so good!

Bloody excellent game. Demanding as ****, but excellent. Gets in your head and never leaves. I've been thinking about how to take down the next boss all day. Can't wait until my son is a sleep and I can have a right go at the demon. Again. :)

Really pleased with how it's going so far. It is probably more difficult than Demon's souls but same old thing applies, take your time, don't rush into things and you'll progress fine.

Managed to defeat the Tauren Boss, really like the new addition of plunging attacks. Also defeated some sort of huge, metallic boar, which handed my arse to me a few times but once I killed him, I'm running around wearing his head.

Started off playing as a dex based wanderer, the new special attacks with scimitars/ninja type swords look and feel excellent to play, however, reading up on a few forums, dex doesn't seem to be scaling anywhere near as well as Strength based builds at the moment and I can pretty much confirm this as i started a str based bandit and tore through the opening areas in a fraction of the time. Haven't had a look at magic based builds yet, but i'm hoping that there's similar type faith builds to demon's souls.

The elite skeletons are a bastard, you can spend up to 10 minutes circling round one, waiting for your chance to pounce, like a game of chess, feels great when you beat them though, naturally, you'll get carried away and think that you can get two quick attacks in, drop your guard and get one shotted. Ha! The whole feel and design of the game is beautiful, really can't recommend it enough for anyone who really wants to get deeply involved in a game.

I'm currently progressing through Blighttown and quaking in my boots. I originally went in there with a helpful phantom who took me deep into the middle of the place. Then he DC'ed. I don't think it was intentional though as he was showing me loads of place with loot but then suddenly vanished.

How'd you get on with the Gargoyle bosses? Gave them a few goes last night but was quite tired, got a bit messy when the second one joins in. There was a similar boss in Demon's Souls called Maneater, they were quite easy as a magic user as you could just keep your distance, bit trickier as melee. I can't seem to summon the sun dude to help me on it, do you need to be in a specific place?

This is definitely on my radar for a future purchase, I just have too many other games to get through at the moment.

Question re.difficulty, Is is frustratingly difficult? As in if you die you have to play through the last ten minutes or so again to get back to where you died? Or just difficult as in, the fights are super tough to begin with but after awhile it all clicks into place? Which I don't have an issue with at all.

Reason I ask is twofold. One, I'm a big video game fan but only an average video game player and two, the one thing I hate in games is having to go back ten/fifteen minutes to get to the same spot only to die again (I'm looking at you GTA4).

I havent played the game, but I have heard lots about it. If you dont like playing the same bit over and over then you will probably hate Dark Souls. It's supposedly a high risk/high reward game, and you will lose everything (including hours of progress) time and again.

I havent played the game, but I have heard lots about it. If you dont like playing the same bit over and over then you will probably hate Dark Souls. It's supposedly a high risk/high reward game, and you will lose everything (including hours of progress) time and again.

Hmmm, I might have to steer clear in that case. As much as I love RPG's, I fear for my sanity if it's too frustrating.

The game is never frustratingly difficult. Everything in the game is very deliberately designed, never unfair and when the game beats the player down, it's always clear why it was the players fault. You see, a player's impatience in Dark Souls is the only thing that will get him/her killed. But dying is never the result of the player failing at Dark Souls, it's simply part of the process of learning Dark Souls and absolutely integral to the game.

Dark Souls is learning to play with more caution than is normally necessary in a modern video game, learning that with every step comes greater risk, learning that with patience comes great rewards. I've found few games are capable of conjuring the kind of genuine peril and dread that Dark Souls does. Even fewer games are capable of conjuring the pure elation you'll feel when you come out on top.

You have to play Dark Souls to truly understand the appeal of Dark Souls. It's an enigma and utterly absorbing gaming because of all of that and so far, my personal GOTY. I guess you could go watch the Giant Bomb quick look to get a little taste of it and read the article linked below too.

Giant Bomb Quick Look - Dark Souls

Dark Souls isn't broken - you are

The game is never frustratingly difficult. Everything in the game is very deliberately designed, never unfair and when the game beats the player down, it's always clear why it was the players fault. You see, a player's impatience in Dark Souls is the only thing that will get him/her killed. But dying is never the result of the player failing at Dark Souls, it's simply part of the process of learning Dark Souls and absolutely integral to the game.

Dark Souls is learning to play with more caution than is normally necessary in a modern video game, learning that with every step comes greater risk, learning that with patience comes great rewards. I've found few games are capable of conjuring the kind of genuine peril and dread that Dark Souls does. Even fewer games are capable of conjuring the pure elation you'll feel when you come out on top.

You have to play Dark Souls to truly understand the appeal of Dark Souls. It's an enigma and utterly absorbing gaming because of all of that and so far, my personal GOTY. I guess you could go watch the Giant Bomb quick look to get a little taste of it and read the article linked below too.

Giant Bomb Quick Look - Dark Souls

Dark Souls isn't broken - you are

You see that's just made me want to get it now. :mrgreen:

Absolutely perfect description, Sie.

Managed to defeat the Gargoyles, firstly I lay down a summon stone and helped a random guy out co-oping them, after, I picked up that Drake sword and obliterated them, sort of felt like cheating in a way. Not too bothered though, they needed a kicking. Love the nice touches, like when playing online you can hear in the distance when another on-line player rings the bell.

Managed to defeat some large guy with the biggest club i've ever seen, dropped a ring that almost doubled my equip burden, which'll be extremely useful. I'm playing through without any guides, which I didn't do during demon's souls. I'll miss a lot of stuff (first time round)but the surprising element is like nothing I've experienced before, genuinely fearful when running into new areas.

Upgraded the lightning spear to +3 and Astora's straight sword to a divine weapon

Was a pain getting hold of it tho had to suicide run into sen's fortress by trial and error to get to the mimic chest that drops it as my drake sword was doing practically zero damage to the lizard guards

Currently clearing Anor Londo the boss in this place is apparently a lancer beast bloke and ive got my darkmoon seance ring from the catacombs ready to enter the darkmoon covenant and get the dark knight armor even though im using the dark iron armor which is supposedly superior.

Â