Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

On 02/01/2021 at 15:08, Designer1 said:

I'm gonna have a crack at a No Death run soon.

I cleared all the Archstones and then died at the aptly named Swamp of Sorrow.

Not sure if I can face another try. Oh well.

Edited by Designer1

Finished Demon's Souls tonight. This was my first Souls game and, if I'm honest, I spent the first few hours thinking "how can anybody enjoy this?". But I kept chipping away and once I defeated the first boss and got the hang of how to play it and how to use the systems, I was completely hooked. Phenomenal game.

• Like 3

Had a playthrough of DS3 again as I wanted to see what it looked like on the PS5 (looks great).

Such a superb game and Archdragon Peak remains one of my favourite areas in any of the Soulsborne games.

• Like 3

never played any of these games. 

Should i start with Bloodborne?

Also i don't like games that are too hard, and i hear this game is really hard.  Can you lower the difficulty either in-game whilst playing or at the start for an easier playthrough?

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Also i don't like games that are too hard, and i hear this game is really hard.  Can you lower the difficulty either in-game whilst playing or at the start for an easier playthrough?

As you may know from reading this thread these are my favourite series of games, so I may be a 'tad' biased but they are all superb. Saying that I would personally start with the DS1 Remaster - It's a slower game combat wise and does a good job of teaching the Soulsborne 'don't rush in, take your time' philosophy which will put you in good stead for the other games in the series. Bloodborne's combat is much quicker and I've known some people have been put off by just how vicious and unforgiving it can seem to a Soulsborne virgin.

Also i don't like games that are too hard, and i hear this game is really hard. 

These games are very hard, and very challenging - but (and this is something that has been said a million times) they are fair. It's very rare that you will die from anything other that your own impatience or lack of experience of a new area/enemy. Put it this way, I don't consider myself a great gamer by any means and my reflexes are nowhere near as great as they used to be, but I've now Platinumed 4 Soulsborne games so that should show that they aren't just for the gaming leet.

Can you lower the difficulty either in-game whilst playing or at the start for an easier playthrough?

There are no difficulty settings.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ender4 said:

I was completely new to the Soulsborne games until I played the Demon's Souls remake. This is how I've found it as a newbie:

It took me a while to really get to grips with Demon's Souls, mainly getting into the habit of taking your time, not being too aggressive and also just getting used to dying a lot. I didn't like it at all at first, but once I got over the steep learning curve I started to absolutely love it and pretty much got obsessed with finishing it.

After completing that, I moved onto Bloodborne. Quite frankly, I'm absolutely loving it. It promotes a more aggressive, faster paced style of playing which, when coming straight from Demon's Souls, feels like a real breath of fresh air. I haven't played any of the 3 Dark Souls games, but I imagine you'd get a similar feeling in that you appreciate the change more when going from Souls to Bloodborne.

I think that the reputation for difficulty can sometimes put people off, but I really recommend jumping in. The sense of victory that you feel when finally downing a boss that's been ruining your evenings for the past couple of days is second to none.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As an alternative to Si's considered response, I hate everything about these games. They don't seem fair to me at all, and trying to do the same thing for the tenth time because it's so bloody hard isn't fun at all in my opinion.  I don't have that much time for gaming, so I don't want to spend it constantly retrying the same boss. As D1 will testify though from our time in 2v2 PVP in Warcraft , my reaction times are a bit shit!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Hollow Knight is the best Dark Souls game. Yeah. I said it. 

I've tried that game so many times now and can't get anywhere on it.

Its a shame because the artstyle is terrific.

I'll give it another crack soon.

Just beat Dragon God.  He's an infuriating bastard isn't he?!  I always got spotted trying to break the blockages in the path.   Then I discovered a trick...

Spoiler

I didn't realise you can use a shield as your right handed weapon until I equipped it by accident.   It broke the blocks so much quicker than my axe and then I took him down with the Hand of God. 

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Just beat Dragon God.  He's an infuriating bastard isn't he?!  I always got spotted trying to break the blockages in the path.   Then I discovered a trick...

Hide contents

I didn't realise you can use a shield as your right handed weapon until I equipped it by accident.   It broke the blocks so much quicker than my axe and then I took him down with the Hand of God. 

Anything ranged works really well on the pillars. Soul Arrow or erm... Arrows and you can sit back and relax and wait for them to be destroyed before moving forward.

Did you deliver the final blow with the Hands of God for the trophy?

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Anything ranged works really well on the pillars. Soul Arrow or erm... Arrows and you can sit back and relax and wait for them to be destroyed before moving forward.

Did you deliver the final blow with the Hands of God for the trophy?

Yep I finished him with the Hands of God.  I know I'm plodding through slowly, it's a game that needs hours I just don't have!

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help guys! Upgraded my bow to the lava now but haven't got the dex to use it.  My usual farming spot is now useless because I needed the bow to kill the reaper to get 4k souls per run.  Now in left with a crossbow which I can't seem to aim with.  Each time I level up it'll cost about 32k souls and I need to level up 3 times. 

On 14/02/2021 at 18:13, dubbs said:

Need some help guys! Upgraded my bow to the lava now but haven't got the dex to use it.  My usual farming spot is now useless because I needed the bow to kill the reaper to get 4k souls per run.  Now in left with a crossbow which I can't seem to aim with.  Each time I level up it'll cost about 32k souls and I need to level up 3 times. 

This is all sorted now.  And I managed to finally beat the Maneaters after a day of infuriating deaths.   Now I'm PvP against the Old Monk.

12 minutes ago, dubbs said:

This is all sorted now.  And I managed to finally beat the Maneaters after a day of infuriating deaths.   Now I'm PvP against the Old Monk.

Maneaters are imo the toughest boss in the whole game...unless you have Firestorm which two hits them 😄

If you want an easier time against the Old Monk, turn off Online and you get the default NPC (instead of an actual player).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

If you want an easier time against the Old Monk, turn off Online and you get the default NPC (instead of an actual player).

Does it have any negative effect if you go against an NPC ?

Edited by dubbs

Â