Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I got the first Archstone to white yesterday. 

Certainly adds another level of challenge!

I've got them all to white and black I think.

I'm now trying to get my character tendency to white for a ring, but to do that I either need to get summoned or defeat an invader. And I can't get either to happen.

I'm way behind @Chindie and @Designer1 on this.  In fact I've only just defeated the Tower Knight but I really like this game.  I'm starting to build up my strength,  endurance and vitality and I'm sure I have to kill the red dragon soon.  He's toasted me a few times crossing bridges until I found the underground path.  

• Like 1

Finished my first run. Buggered up my plan of doing 3 'New Game' runs to get all the achievements so now it's either 4 runs or 2 with a NG+ run.

Really good game. I think it's slightly easier overall than the rest of the Souls series and you can see the ideas still being developed that would be perfected in later games. I can see why the tendency system was ditched in later games though. It's a cool idea that is perhaps slightly half baked, particularly character tendency.

But overall, great.

• Like 2

The Prison of Hope at black tendency on NG+ sssssssssssssuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssssssssss.

Getting one shot by the Mindflayers, especially when they sometimes seem to just decide they aren't going to be staggered by your obscenely large sword, is not fun. Especially on the run back. It's actually souring me on the game.

On 05/12/2020 at 12:59, Chindie said:

The Prison of Hope at black tendency on NG+ sssssssssssssuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssssssssss.

Getting one shot by the Mindflayers, especially when they sometimes seem to just decide they aren't going to be staggered by your obscenely large sword, is not fun. Especially on the run back. It's actually souring me on the game.

I've found that the ramp up in difficulty from NG to NG+ is considerably steeper than any other Souls game.

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I've found that the ramp up in difficulty from NG to NG+ is considerably steeper than any other Souls game.

Definitely.

I blitzed through the first couple of bits of Boletaria, but after that the difficulty ramp up was higher than any of the other games on the series I've played. The damage output of enemies is magnitudes higher.

The Mindflayers are just **** annoying. One minute I'm flattening them with 2 strikes, the next they decide they aren't going to be flattened and instead are going to one shot me through a wall.

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Mindflayers are just **** annoying. One minute I'm flattening them with 2 strikes, the next they decide they aren't going to be flattened and instead are going to one shot me through a wall.

I feel for you if you're taking them on toe-to-toe. I'm keeping my distance and two-shotting the bastards with Fireball like the sneaky bastard I am 😁

• Like 1

Not sure if it's just me and my playstyle, but the difficulty level across the zones in NG+ seems a little borked.

There seems to be a disparity between the scaling difficulty of the areas compared to NG which is annoying the fook out of me at the moment.

For instance, the mobs in Smithing Grounds seem to cause a ridiculous amount of damage, and yet I breezed through the Island's Edge mobs with barely any issues. Total reversal from NG.

In previous Souls games, you could be confident that the scaling difficulty would be uniform across all NG phases, but this just seems a little random to me.

As I said, might be my setup/playstyle but I'm finding it irritating.

Been plugging away on NG+, which still has some obscenely annoying difficulty spikes, but been getting through it. Took on the dragon god, which is somehow harder on NG+, and seems the game has decided to not give me the soul for beating it, which is nice. Apparently there's a bug if you die when killing it, but I didn't. I just don't seem to have been given the soul. Not in storage either. 

Which is particularly annoying as you need the soul for a trophy. Tempted to just sacrifice this run now to do to get the final ring I need and do a magic build to get the spell trophy on a new character

Prison of Hope is a pain!  As I've never played this before I've no idea of what's coming!  I've talked to a blue soul behind a cell door and now I've got to find a key to help him.  Can I find it? Can I ####!!

16 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Prison of Hope is a pain!  As I've never played this before I've no idea of what's coming!  I've talked to a blue soul behind a cell door and now I've got to find a key to help him.  Can I find it? Can I ####!!

It's not too bad apart from the Mind Flayers. Keep them at a distance with a bow or spells and they can be picked off easier.

• Thanks 1

Started my mage run, a first for me in Souls. Blimey you absolutely blow enemies away. In 3 hours I've done 1-1, 3-1, 4-1 and a big chunk of 2-1 - I'd have gone through that if I'd have not made a stupid mistake on the shortcut.

Only 2 achievements left. All spells and I think there's one for choice of ending. Hopefully the game doesn't screw me over this time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2020 at 13:46, Chindie said:

I'm now trying to get my character tendency to white for a ring, but to do that I either need to get summoned or defeat an invader. And I can't get either to happen.

Only one trophy left and I am in the same situation - it's a **** to get pure white character tendency isn't it? I can get summoned often enough but I don't think that goes towards it, so you're stuck taking the worlds to Black Tendency and killing the Black Phantoms.

Pain in the arse - just as well it's such a fantastic game!

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Only one trophy left and I am in the same situation - it's a **** to get pure white character tendency isn't it? I can get summoned often enough but I don't think that goes towards it, so you're stuck taking the worlds to Black Tendency and killing the Black Phantoms.

Pain in the arse - just as well it's such a fantastic game!

Getting summoned and defeating a boss or an invader raises your character towards white tendency iirc.

I just had a complete nightmare getting summoned. Eventually did it getting summoned on Old Monk - the downside they're being you can summoned as the boss so need to immediately use the stone that withdraws you.

It's a system that doesn't really work. I can see why they never returned to it.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Getting summoned and defeating a boss or an invader raises your character towards white tendency iirc.

I'm not sure it does - at least, I can't find a mention of it online 🙁

Â