Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

Both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are well worth a purchase, they're unlike anything you'll play for a while, guaranteed.

I really love the control scheme, even though the movement is a bit sensitive and it's far too easy to fall off of walkways, but the fighting mechanics are brilliant.

I wouldn't say the games are hard, I'd say punishing is a better word. If you go in hell for leather then you'll get your ass handed to you, if you go in very carefully and prepared, you still have a good chance of dying against some of the enemies, but you'll learn from it and you'll get them next time.

That's not to say the game isn't frustrating at times. One time I was playing Demon's Souls on The Tower of Latria's second stage. This can be a tough level because there's a lot of narrow walkways and big drops (and also has the hardest boss in the game according to many players).

Without going into too much detail (the people who have played this level will know what I'm on about), I effectively got right near to the end of the level before the boss and was moments away from creating a shortcut, meaning I could return to the Nexus, dump a load of items and souls, and then head back and go more or less straight to the boss of the level without having to go through the entire level all over again.

Well, unfortunately, the way to unlock this shortcut is up a tall tower with a lift. I went up the lift, got a bit complacent and a Gargoyle flew at me. I lunged a bit too far and fell down the tower where the lift had been. I had to do the entire level all over again. The moral of the story is, if you ever feel yourself getting cocky or complacent when playing these games, then check yourself before you wreck yourself.

• 1 month later...
Picked up Dark Souls today.

I'm not very patient yet I feel like a challenge for some reason. Let the controller throwing begin...

If it's anything like my experiences on the game, you'll love it. You'll die (alot), but you'll love it.

I genuinely think that anyone who has an interest in video games should play it.

Loving it so far. I'm six hours in yet am very early in the game.

The visuals in it are stunning and the gameplay is great. I have already died far too many times, yet I was prepared for it. It can be frustrating yet every death has been my own fault. I have learnt from each death and now know certain parts like the back of my hand. Even though this is the case, I still end up dying sometimes because I get a bit carried away.

Being that I have already ploughed in six hours and I am at such an early stage, I can really see myself putting at least another 50+ in. I'm absorbed in the game and despite and have even enjoyed the bits of soul grinding I have done.

What class did you opt for? I went Pyromancer but I've only got as far as defeating the Gargoyles. I wasn't sure where to go after that and I got distracted by other games which is a shame because Dark Souls truly is awesome.

Also, which gift did you choose? Apparently the director of the gamestrongly suggests you should pick the Pendant despite it having no obvious bonuses. It ties into the story somehow if you find the correct place in the game world or talk to the right characters or something like that.

I went for a Pyromancer, yet I've been using sword and board thus far. Just got the Drake Sword an hour or two ago and am now a little stuck. If I go on top of the church I need to face this Gargoyle with an axe on his tail. I just went up and got my backside handed to me. It just keeps swiping and I can't seem to dodge it. I may do some grinding and come back to him...

Then if I go the other way (opposite the blacksmith) there's another boss. He has also just smacked me on my arse. These two are brutal.

I've forgotten what gift I chose to be honest. I haven't used whatever it was anyway.

Yeah the Gargoyle is the big boss for that area and the monster down by the Blacksmith is well known for being an utter bastard too. Absolutely do some grinding. Have you found the BlacK Knights at all? The first is in the Undead Burg just before the Taurus Demon fight on the narrow walkway, the road splits off and down to the right and that's where he is. There's another one up a tower just before you get to the Armoured Warthog area and then I think there's one in the Undead Chapel but he has a massive shield. They give you a lot of souls but they can be very tricky to beat if you're not a high enough level.

Having the Drake Sword will definitely help. Just out of interest, did you find that out by yourself or did you, like me, find it on a forum? I can't many people find out how to get that sword. I could imagine people doing the thing you need to do in order to get it but I can't imagine too many people sticking with it long enough. It took me ages!

Anyway, I grinded a fair bit and took down all of the Black Knights. Then when I was confident I took on the Gargoyle and I managed to kill him first time. It was touch and go at the start of that fight. I was a bit careless and got hurt quite badly but I got a lucky heal in and after that I was justa lot more careful and took him down. After you defeat that boss, that's when you're supposed to head on down to the area past the Blacksmith I think. I also think I heard that you can actually run past the monster down there without killing him if you want? I could be wrong though.

Heard about the crazy speedrun some guy did? He completed the game in 1 hour 26 minutes. However, he didn't kill all the bosses, which apparently you don't have to in order to complete the game, but he certainly took down some of them. It's very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to this today methinks. I can't remember exactly where it's going to dump me since I left it at a particularly broken part of Blighttown, but hopefully I can take a different path to another area.

I remember feeling like I needed a better weapon than the Drake Sword by then...

i got lucky last night, was doing some capra demon summon runs, got summoned ito this guys rooms, anyway i think he was trading with another player who he summoned. he drops 99 large knight souls and 99 knight souls and 99 of some other souls, i swagged them D

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to get this game because I was told it was much like Skyrim. It is pretty tough and the first hour or so was impossibly difficult but once I pushed through it got a lot of fun. It is like Skyrim just a lot more difficult and the bosses are a lot tougher.

Anyone else play this?

I need to go back to it, it's a lot of fun. I went round to my mates place the other week and helped him defeat the Hydra, and by help I mean giving moral support and continually singing the end of Tenacious D - Wonderboy. Well, I also told him to stop being a wimp and just make a run towards it and avoid the jets of water he was spraying at him.

In the sense that it has a medieval setting and you fight dragons and other monsters then yes. In terms of gameplay they're pretty different. But he's right in that I think if you like Skyrim then you would most probably like Demon's/Dark Souls.

Looking forward to getting this on PC.. I had it on Xbox but the frame rate got on my nerves. I am very much a PC player so I'm used to everything running at 60FPS or higher, so hopefully the PC version will be running at a frame rate I'm used to.

Â