Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

If you haven't played Demon's Souls, i'd suggest playing as a strength based, high vitality/high endurance/heavy armour character. Although it doesn't matter greatly which class you pick (as you can mould any class into anything you like), i'd go for warrior/knight or bandit as they have slightly better stats for starting off. Then when you get a feel of the game, start a character to whichever you enjoy most, magic based/stealthy rogue, etc.

Always take your time, never rush into areas, as there are ALWAYS surprises waiting for you, explore and you'll find lots of goodies to help you out. Get a sturdy shield and keep yourself guarded most times. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/ is useful, with good discussion on the forums. The game is still new so there's no a lot of info at the moment as people are still exploring. IGN have a great area by area guide too.

I just killed the gaping dragon in the depths, was actually fairly easy but it's the most stunning looking boss fight i've ever seen, incredible,... and need to change my pants.

I'd say Pyromancer or Wanderer seem to be the "go to" class for beginners from my own experience and what I've read. Starting as a heavy armour character like the knight is the worst idea. Sure, lots of defence but you can't move for shit and until you get a feel for the combat, the lack of speed and lack of a useful dodge will see you die more often than not.

As for tips, find yourself a shield that blocks 100% physical damage asap. You should run into one fairly quickly.

---

I kinda screwed up on the mimic chest. Just as I was about to kill it, it stood on the lift and got took to the next floor. I lost track of it and never got my loot. I think it died.

Upgraded the lightning spear to +3 and Astora's straight sword to a divine weapon

Was a pain getting hold of it tho had to suicide run into sen's fortress by trial and error to get to the mimic chest that drops it as my drake sword was doing practically zero damage to the lizard guards

Currently clearing Anor Londo the boss in this place is apparently a lancer beast bloke and ive got my darkmoon seance ring from the catacombs ready to enter the darkmoon covenant and get the dark knight armor even though im using the dark iron armor which is supposedly superior.

That's all well and good, but I bought a Double Decker at work today.

So there.

First impressions are very good indeed.

I have died quite a few times (no surprises there) but every death has been completely my own fault and not due to some unfair game mechanic.

I rolled a Pyromancer and love the fireball/axe/shield combination I've got going on at the moment.

The game demands that you take your time, which for me is a bonus as I prefer to play more of a waiting/strategic game and the overall look and feel positively drips atmosphere.

Blimey this game gets under your skin doesn't it? I'm sitting at work thinking about strategies to take down one of the bosses (in the game not at work) and which area to explore next.

Played about 5 hours last night and it just flew by. So glad I decided to get it in the end.

A copy has been traded in at work...

...I may borrow it. May also buy a new controller, just in case.

A rent, I feel, is the way to go to see if I can stand it.

To be honest mate, I haven't found it the least bit frustrating.

Every time I've died it's been through lack of planning or rushing in and **** some movement up. I've yet to feel cheated when I die.

I absolutely love the pace of it, steady as you go and plan ahead and it's fine. And I'm by no means the most patient or skillful gamer.

Working out the best way to kill certain mobs, studying their movement patterns and attacks and then using this knowledge to your advantage is glorious when it works. I literally punched the air last night when I took down one of the early game bosses.

A copy has been traded in at work...

...I may borrow it. May also buy a new controller, just in case.

A rent, I feel, is the way to go to see if I can stand it.

To be honest mate, I haven't found it the least bit frustrating.

Every time I've died it's been through lack of planning or rushing in and **** some movement up. I've yet to feel cheated when I die.

I absolutely love the pace of it, steady as you go and plan ahead and it's fine. And I'm by no means the most patient or skillful gamer.

Working out the best way to kill certain mobs, studying their movement patterns and attacks and then using this knowledge to your advantage is glorious when it works. I literally punched the air last night when I took down one of the early game bosses.

Spot on. I'm about 18-20 ours in and I've just scratched the surface of this. Not a single cheap death so far in my book. And I'm usually pretty sensitive about these things. When I rush I die, and everytime I die at the hands of a boss I learn something new and start to understand his patterns better. This is a very focused and deliberately designed game that leaves little to chance yet luck can sometimes help out. Brilliant. Absolutely sodding brilliant game.

How's everyone progressing?

I haven't had as much time to sit down and really get into it as i'd like to but I'm done with Blighttown and Quelaag, really got annoyed by those damn flies that kept respawning but the area wasn't as annoying as people have made out.

Working my way back through Darkroot garden then onto Sen's fortress, gonna farm souls and hopefully find and construct a weapon i feel comfortable with. Still using the Drake Sword which is now starting to lose its effectiveness and got a Claymore+5 which is pretty clumsy and needs to be used 2 handed for full effect. Managed to kill the hydra in the basin, chopping off heads was pretty good fun.

How's everyone progressing?

Killed the Capra Demon last night (much rejoicing!) and have been making my way (meekly) through Darkroot Forest.

I haven't beaten the Gargoyles yet, but (as is the way with most of the game) I come a little closer every time.

I'm trying to farm 20,000 souls to unlock the forest door as I believe the area behind it, although tough is great for farming further souls.

On a side note, I absolutely love how the shortcuts open up as you progress. Really well designed gameplay.

It's easily the best game I've played this year and I think only Skyrim has a chance to top it.

Not too far from the end of my first playthrough now. Recovered the Lord Vessel, cleared the archives and Seath the Scaleless, think I now need to kill four kings ( I don't have the iron flesh pyromancy, so may take some time) and some other hideous necromancer thing, before going for the final areas. For anyone who hasn't made it to the crystal caves yet, it's interesting to say the least, had my first extremely frustrating moments in there but I think I was just playing when I was too tired and felt like throwing my tv out the window. Other than that, it's so far been a massive ride, incredibly enjoyable.

Also, it seems that patch 1.04 will be released on EU servers soon, there are hundreds of changes to the game, some welcome, some not, but overall seems pretty good.

I've ploughed about 40 hours into it now (Level 65ish) and I'm nowhere near as far into it as you are.

Any tips of how to kill Sif? I'm loathe to look at any boss guides but he's a total **** for me (not sure if range classes fair any better). My best tactic has been to get in underneath him with the Dragon King Great Axe but i've still only managed to get him down to about half energy.

So many great moments in this game, I genuinely think it's a masterpiece.

Â