Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

demonsoul.jpg

has nobody else imported this from america yet? i got mine from videogameplus.ca apparently its one of the most difficult games ever invented and provides an extreme challenge you can also invade other peoples games and kill them also leave notes on the floor how to bypass certain obstacles ive heard some calling it the best dungeon crawler of all time

yeah one mistimed attack or roll and you end up impaled on an enemies spear ive been playing a week so far and only done the first 2 bosses im trying to farm stone to upgrade my spear and longbow though im hoping to make my char a melee/spellcaster/ranged hybrid

• 5 months later...

For all those who held off importing this, Namco Bandai are coming to the rescue with a PAL release of Demon's Souls this June.

And it's bloody good value too - you can pre-order the Black Phantom Edition (Game, Soundtrack, Strategy Guide and Artbook) from Zavvi for £36.45. Add the code APRIL2 at the checkout (single ietm code only) for £2 off that price. Do it through Quidco for an extra 3% off.

Pre-ordered it myself. Numerous times I spotted the American version of game in Grainger Games for £40 and passed on it. Guess that's going to pay off.

• 4 months later...

I finally got hold of this. After reading various reviews and knowing how hardcore it actually is, nothing prepared me for how brutal this game is. Ha! Seriously, it's insane. It really doesn't mess around, i've died about 8 times on level 1 so far and each time you start straight back at the beginning and have to kill everything over again. It's almost like the old Ghouls'n'Ghosts games. You just cannot rush anywhere otherwise you'll be ambushed and virtually one shotted. After saying all that though, it's so intriguing, I wanna get back to it. Great stuff! It already feels majorly rewarding, just slowly advancing. I'm sure taking down huge bosses and really advancing your character will definitely sharpen up gaming skills and reflexes.

Just an update, if anyone cares. Had chance to play it a lot the last few days, so far 4 bosses down and a giant demon god. After the initial shock of the first two levels, it seems to get easier as you develop your character, when you get used to dodging and rolling, it really isn't particulary hardcore, you just have to stay focused or you'll get annoyed at restarting levels after dying. All in all though i highly recommend it if anyones looking for a proper RPG challenge, had some really frustrating moments on 'fire lurker' boss, but felt great when i finally got him. The Demon gods look absolutely incredible, they are so huge.

The character leveling is interesting too, there's virtually infinite ways to mould your character to how you want it. Haven't had a look at PVP yet, still got shit loads of soloing left.

• 5 months later...

Been playing for 3-4 days off and on (8 hours so far). Personally think the difficulty is 'slightly' over exaggerated. Managed to do levels 1-1, 2-1, and 1-2 whilst only dying 6 times or so (apparently that's quite good).

The benefit of having such an unforgiving difficulty system is that the satisfaction you feel when completing a level/boss is like no other game I've played. Defeating the spider boss at the end of level 2-1 on my first attempt caused me to do a genuine fist pump.

Just levelling up a bit now and improving weapons before carrying on (soul level 25 so far).

The attention to detail in the online aspects of the game are superb, offering one of the most unique gaming experiences ever.

Would recommend this game to anyone, whether a RPG fan or not. The only problem i can see is the fact that the online servers will shut down this October so grab a copy of this now if you can.

• 7 months later...

No worries about the servers now as Atlus has decided to keep them going for as long as there is activity. I haven't brought myself to advance past the first boss, but I seriously need to get that sorted. Pre-ordered the sequel, Dark Souls yesterday so I should have it by Friday if all goes well. Wouldn't be able to finish Demon's Souls before that even if I took time off and skipped any sleep.

Dark Souls 9.5 - 10 Gamespot

I loved demon souls it kept you constantly on edge and on your toes slightest mistake in melee combat and you were **** i wasnt one of these pussies who hid behind a purple flame shield/dark silver shield either

This is a lot harder from what ive seen and read cant wait

Â