Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

On 09/07/2020 at 12:24, Ginko said:

I've played them all except for Sekiro (waiting for it to be under £30 in one of the sales, but no luck so far).

I'm ashamed to say I've only completed Dark Souls 2. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 3, and Bloodborne all eventually got too intimidating for me. 

No other games have ever brought me such high highs and low lows. The highs are totally worth it, but I really have to be in a special mood to play these things.

Not sure why I feel this way, and I don't know why I persevered with DS2 over the others, but I think part of it now is that I don't really have the time to spend on games like I used to. If I'm going to spend a rare few hours a week playing a game, I feel like I need to have made progress, and I could play a Souls game for that length of time and get absolutely nowhere!

I'm just not very good at these games, or I don't have the patience anymore. Probably the more the first one.

I’m exactly the same. Although I finally have the time to dedicate to gaming. I can be completely engrossed in watching someone play YT, both by the lore and the challenge of beating the game.

When I try myself, I struggle to handle the stress and lack of progress if I get stuck. 😅 A bit silly really, as it’s supposed to be a challenge and the pay-off is in the eventual progress after having been stuck for a while.

I the remake of Demon’s Souls has reignited my interest in the series though, so I might give DS3 on PC a try again. Only played 6 or so hours of that so far.

Haven't played Demons Souls previously so trying to do it without using YouTube for tips.  Haven't got that far into the game yet and might restart with a different class.   Went with Temple Knight but may switch it up to Royalty to see if it suits me better.  The Temple Knight is ok but the long range weapon seems to be quite slow,  even on a standard attack.

10 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just trying to down the Dragon God at the moment. 

This game is just incredible. Surpassed everything I imagined it would be.

Managed to take him down after about ten tries. Hes a bit of a gimmick boss really but once I realised I could use a Soul Arrow to break a certain thing that needed breaking it became much easier.

• Like 2

A tip for the Fools Idol boss fight...

Spoiler

For gawd's sake make sure you kill the wizard NPC on the level above the fog gate (on the right) before you start the boss.

I killed the boss three times and wondered why the 'Demon Was Destroyed' message didn't trigger. Then, after finally relenting and reading up it seems that the bastard wizard was resurrecting the boss after i'd killed her.

So yeah - terminate him with extreme prejudice first.

On 22/11/2020 at 09:58, dubbs said:

Went with Temple Knight but may switch it up to Royalty to see if it suits me better.  The Temple Knight is ok but the long range weapon seems to be quite slow,  even on a standard attack.

The beauty of Royalty as a starting class is that you get the best of both worlds with the initial stat spread.

Plenty of Magic so your Soul Arrows hit hard and enough Dex that the Rapier is a viable melee weapon.

I've barely used a shield as I prefer to left hand Catalyst / Right hand Weapon which means I can deal with pretty much anything. if I'm walking around an unfamiliar area with limited vision I can default to the Rapier in case anything jumps out in front of me, but at the same time if I can see any mobs in the middle distance they can be nuked before they even get close to me with the Soul Arrow.

I'm also glad I've got to the see some of the spell effects as they are absolutely epic - finally magic looks and feels like I've always imagined it should (weighty, bright and devastating!).

Bear in mind though regarding restarting the game because of class choice. Unless you're quite far down the road then I wouldn't bother starting again. Just start piling more points into the other stats that you fancy. I've had playthroughs in Souls games where I've started off as full on Strength build and ended up more of a caster. If you've only killed a couple of bosses, then I would just carry on and respecc on the fly.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

been a little hesitant about playing Souls-like games since I get the impression that they're intentionally hard and frustrating for the sake of being that. Another part of me really want to try them out for that very same reason since it can be so rewarding to overcome really hard obstacles in games. Is the first Dark Souls worth it in 2020? I've heard the controls can be very janky and irritating which is something that would be more annoying than pleasing, but I've also heard that it is very immersive and an incredible world.

22 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

been a little hesitant about playing Souls-like games since I get the impression that they're intentionally hard and frustrating for the sake of being that. Another part of me really want to try them out for that very same reason since it can be so rewarding to overcome really hard obstacles in games. Is the first Dark Souls worth it in 2020? I've heard the controls can be very janky and irritating which is something that would be more annoying than pleasing, but I've also heard that it is very immersive and an incredible world.

They aren't intentionally hard and frustrating, they are simply challenging and punish your mistakes. Deaths are very rarely cheap, it's all down to you.

First DS is still very much worth it as the Remaster is excellent and solves the fps issues that plagued certain areas of the original. The controls are certainly not irritating? Not sure where that comes from tbh.

As I've said before, my favourite series of games ever so I'm a bit of a fanboy but I dont think youd go wrong with giving one a spin, particularly if you like immersive fantasy worlds.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

They aren't intentionally hard and frustrating, they are simply challenging and punish your mistakes. Deaths are very rarely cheap, it's all down to you.

First DS is still very much worth it as the Remaster is excellent and solves the fps issues that plagued certain areas of the original. The controls are certainly not irritating? Not sure where that comes from tbh.

As I've said before, my favourite series of games ever so I'm a bit of a fanboy but I dont think youd go wrong with giving one a spin, particularly if you like immersive fantasy worlds.

What I meant was that some of the controls have been described as sluggish and that you cannot cancel actions like drinking a health potion for 3 seconds while a boss charges at you full speed. Might not be as big a factor as I'm imagining it to be in my head all things considered, but it would certainly make me a little angry at times lol. Think I might just give this game a go one of these days however because of it's classic status. Its general esthetic looks pretty damn amazing tbh.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

And he's down.

Definitely the trickiest boss yet for me.

Maneater can be tough. The AI can also be cheesed pretty easily if you're into that;

Spoiler

As you enter the boss arena run past him and go to the right side of the stairs (there will be an item there). Equip the Thief's Ring and wait for Maneater to get bored, then sneak up behind him for some easy damage. Rinse and repeat. You don't even have to worry about his friend cause they will eventually get bored too and will typically make their way to the other side of the arena. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Maneater can be tough. The AI can also be cheesed pretty easily if you're into that;

Hide contents

As you enter the boss arena run past him and go to the right side of the stairs (there will be an item there). Equip the Thief's Ring and wait for Maneater to get bored, then sneak up behind him for some easy damage. Rinse and repeat. You don't even have to worry about his friend cause they will eventually get bored too and will typically make their way to the other side of the arena. 

Ta. Might try that on my subsequent playthroughs.

Mistake I've made is leaving auto target on.  Its meant that I always seem to have Estrava ( the friendly knight) after me because I accidentally hit him a few times whilst trying to help him in a few fights.  Not sure how much aggravating him will affect things going forward.

Yes I know,  I've been playing for a few hours and not got very far! Spent a lot of time looking around the environments.

Finally found the time to finish Demon's Souls Remake.

I enjoyed it. I find some of the changes questionable as they change the entire atmosphere and feeling of the game, but despite that I mostly enjoyed Bluepoint's take on the world. 

I'll probably play through NG+ at some point next week to mop up the rest of the trophies. 

• Like 2

Â