PL: Chelsea h 2009/10/17 12:45 Match Thread

limpid

Really excited about the game this weekend.....it is actually on at a sociable time here in Australia (around 10PM), which is a nice change!

My Chelsea supporting mate has asked for a 1 goal start, for the first time in many years he is nervous about this game....reckons we are their 'bogey-team'. I'll be getting on the Villa for a 3-2 win (paying 40-1 here!!). UTV!!

Going to watch this at the pub with my Chelsea-supporting mate, so maybe a draw would be the best result! We're definitely capable of getting a result though, but I do think we'll lose.

Looking forward to it though - few drinks in the pub, back home for Soccer Saturday drinking game, then off out tomorrow night. Sunday morning's not going to be pretty.

Eurosport are saying A.Young is out for this one.

They are joined on the sidelines by Ashley Young, who sustained a foot injury in the 1-1 draw with Manchester City, so Fabian Delph is set to take his place.

Can only see a 5 man midfield if indeed Delph is in the team, well i'm hoping desperatly that's the case. I honestly would love to see Albrighton thrown in, could be a trial of fire but i'd say it may be what we need out wide with Chelsea's diamond formation.

go 4-5-1 let them have possession in the not too dangerous areas then hit them on the break.

I'd take a 1-1 they are very physically strong and dangerous from every area of the pitch but play like we did first half against man city and we can get something.

Eurosport are saying A.Young is out for this one.

They are joined on the sidelines by Ashley Young, who sustained a foot injury in the 1-1 draw with Manchester City, so Fabian Delph is set to take his place.

Can only see a 5 man midfield if indeed Delph is in the team, well i'm hoping desperatly that's the case. I honestly would love to see Albrighton thrown in, could be a trial of fire but i'd say it may be what we need out wide with Chelsea's diamond formation.

I think Ashley Young will make it. However i will have no worries if Delph does start as part of a 5 man midfield as i think this is where he could be most effective. I deally i'd have him more centrally but i'm sure he could do a job in the Ashley Young role.

If we go 4-5-1 and Gabby has a good game i'm confident we can get a win out of this, conversely if we go 4-4-2 i think we'll get easily beaten.

I'm going 4-5-1 and 2-1 Villa.

BBC says nothing of Young's injury so I'm assuming he will start. A 5 man midfield would be pretty ideal against Chelsea.

I was at this fixture last year and heartbroken after that Anelka goal...let's hope it won't be the same feeling again.

I think most of the Chelsea players will be tired from Int'l duty and we really could win this. 3-1 to Villa please.

Another massive game, we are into a mode of taking points of the title contenders, Liverpool, Man City, lets do the same v Chelsea, think this one is a real test, they are without Ballack, Cech is back, we need to go 4-5-1, really enjoyed the way Ash played v Man City, tackling back etc so he will be missed if out, lets face it when you play teams of this standard you should be at your very best.

Be interesting to see how Gabby shapes up after the England game, have to say it, Gabby didn't look the same player for me, looked subdued, quiet, not asking anything of his fellow players, and when he was subbed his head went down. This is probably me reading to much into it nobody else watching the match i have spoken to didn't notice anything......lets hope.

Happy to take point/ points from them.

I don't think the matchday forum is arse when it can throw up the posts I've read on here so far.

I agree that last season we got trounced at Stamford Bridge, even if it was only 0-2.

I don't think we're looking such a decent away team nor such a poor home team so far this season. Tomorrow we're at home so I'm confident. Although I know that at some point between 12.00 and 12.45 I will either throw my hands to my head and curse MON if he decides to go 4-4-2 or, on the other hand, cheer loudly if it's to be 4-5-1/4-3-3.

I just think 4-5-1 suits the players we have at this moment, home, away or on a neutral ground. We got away with 4-4-2 (but only drew) against Man Citeh I think because they didn't exactly pack their midfield either. Though I'll concede that a change to 4-4-2 during the match at small heath did the trick. And now there's another thing - what other in-form striker could we play alongside Gabby in a 4-4-2? And what the **** happens to Gabby anyway when he has to share striker duties?

Reo-Coker, Petrov and Sidwell in the engine room would be nice.

As with the match against Citeh one point might be OK, but come on, until last season our results against them hadn't been too bad at all. I'll stick my neck out and predict a 2-1 win, though if we do go 4-4-2 from the start I may come back and edit this post.

Must admit from what I saw of Chelsea's first few games, they looked unstoppable. Then they went and lost at Wigan, of all places.

I don't think we have looked too sharp this season, even if we are more solid at the back.

But we play much better when we are the underdogs, so I'll go for one apiece.

I fear this post may be in vain, but here goes.

I'm as desperate as anyone for us to win today.

However, Chelsea are the best team in the league right now and the gulf in class between us and them is still, in my opinion, huge.

If we get walloped, let's not go back to square one from a supporter's point of view and start picking holes in every player who struggled to cope.

Remember that Drogba, Anelka and co make fools of even the best players in our league - the likes of Carragher, etc.

I can cope with us winning, drawing or even losing today...but what makes things so depressing on a matchday is when the rest of the fanbase show their most fickle, negative sides.

In essence, what I'm saying is that people are currently voting in another post in favour of a Villa win. Let's remember when the game finishes that the reason for that is that we have a good team - no-one is going to become 'just shit', 'limited', 'hopeless' or MON 'clueless' because of 90 minutes against the top team in the division.

I fear this post may be in vain, but here goes.

I'm as desperate as anyone for us to win today.

However, Chelsea are the best team in the league right now and the gulf in class between us and them is still, in my opinion, huge.

If we get walloped, let's not go back to square one from a supporter's point of view and start picking holes in every player who struggled to cope.

Remember that Drogba, Anelka and co make fools of even the best players in our league - the likes of Carragher, etc.

I can cope with us winning, drawing or even losing today...but what makes things so depressing on a matchday is when the rest of the fanbase show their most fickle, negative sides.

In essence, what I'm saying is that people are currently voting in another post in favour of a Villa win. Let's remember when the game finishes that the reason for that is that we have a good team - no-one is going to become 'just shit', 'limited', 'hopeless' or MON 'clueless' because of 90 minutes against the top team in the division.

This.

I'm also missing my first home league game in about 3 years today, I want to see a win!