• Ian Taylor
    • Lee Hendrie
    • Merse
    • Gareth Barry
    • Der Hammer
    • NRC
    • Petrov
    • Gavin McCann

I think before the arguement reoccurs about Barry being a Judas, people have to think how good a player he was for us.

There were many years when he was playing on the left wing that we had the quote "right player, left side" (or left side right player - I cant remember), remember when every England squad didn't include him and we were outraged... There can only be one winner imo for the centre mid spot.

As has been said before, Merse and Tayls had their best years at the club in the 90's.

I cant believe people are suggesting Merson was better prior to 00

truth is he was very average for us and out with niggles as well up until december 99 and that was the turning point in his villla career

18 months of consistently magic performances from that point onwards, but before 99 he was largely crap

anyway ill go taylor and barry at centre mid and would want to pick merson in a free role as he cant be pigeonholed as a centre mid if the team is gonna be lined up as a 442

Merson and Taylor played their best football for Villa in the 90's. It has to be Barry. No one else comes close.

thinking about it you have a valid point re:Taylor being better in the 90s even if you are wrong re: Merson

as such i would pick barry and boateng in centre mid with merson ahead of them

really rated boateng dont think we ever replaced him

Barry for me. And either Merse or Hendrie as the 2nd midfielder. As Hendrie hasn't got one single vote so far I guess that Merse will be the one to vote for in that other poll.

I cant believe people are suggesting Merson was better prior to 00

truth is he was very average for us and out with niggles as well up until december 99 and that was the turning point in his villla career

18 months of consistently magic performances from that point onwards, but before 99 he was largely crap

I wouldn't have said he was crap, injured most of the time and struggling with his demons, but he was easily our best player for two years from September/October 99. Which is why I voted for him. I mean he did things with a football that Gareth Barry could only dream of doing. It may have been short lived, but what a player.

I think it's a shame that he has become a bit of a forgotten man in recent years. I think because of the incidents that followed his departure his impact has been lessened.

Will always be the Magic Man to me. The header against Leeds, blood streaming down his face, the winner against Everton, forever burned into my memory.

Â