Will time travel ever be possible

paddy

Will time travel ever be possible?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Will time travel ever be possible?

• Yes and in our lifetime
    • Yes, but not in our lifetime
    • No

I'm travelling through time right now at a speed of one second per second.

I think is accepted that it is possible to change that speed of one second per second in theory. Ten pounds to the man who invents an affordable and practical means of achieving that change.

Don't think it would be possible as it is portrayed in films and books. I think that if that was the case then we would have people being 'teleported' into our backyards and shit like that.

HOWEVER, a better question to ask is, what would you DO if and what time period you would GO TO if you could travel into the future or the past??

I think I know where I would go

I'm travelling through time right now at a speed of one second per second.

I think is accepted that it is possible to change that speed of one second per second in theory. Ten pounds to the man who invents an affordable and practical means of achieving that change.

I'll take that 10 quid now Rev...

My wy to time travel is simple. 3 shots tequila, 3 shots of rum, and 2 ales.

Next thing I know it's 7am and I've time traveled. Beat that shit.

I think is accepted that it is possible to change that speed of one second per second in theory

only for the observer, not for the affected person in question

afaik

gravity plays a fairly massive part in how fast time passes

i think its theoretically possible.

whether we can ever make theory in reality is the big question. it may take us a few thousand years before we acheive it.

After all, we have only been in the technological era for around 150 years, we have only had electricity for around 100 years.

We will invent a lot more things in the next few thousand years, which will seem impossible to us now.

There was a thread just the other day about a guy working on a time machine based on that theory.

The idea is you can bend time back on itself so you could travel back in time but only as far as the point at which the time machine was invented and time was bent.

i posted the theory in the thread the other wek ... I had read it in a magazine years ago and just remembered it

do you have a link to it as i wouldn't mind reading it again ...

Here is the story here

It's a mind boggler for sure.

Isn't it already possible though, in a very different way?

I'm talking about those satellite photographs that show pictures of supernovas and whatnot from billions of years ago.

That's nto time travel though, that's light travel. Comparable to looking at your TV of some recorded programme. If you look at your hand, you arent seeing your hand as it is now, you're seeing it as it was 0.0000000000000000....000..0001 seconds ago.

As for is it possible? Not a chance.

I'm talking about those satellite photographs that show pictures of supernovas and whatnot from billions of years ago.

That's nto time travel though, that's light travel. Comparable to looking at your TV of some recorded programme. If you look at your hand, you arent seeing your hand as it is now, you're seeing it as it was 0.0000000000000000....000..0001 seconds ago.

But I would argue that is in itself a form of time travel. Looking at a spot as it was 1 billionth of a second ago is no different to looking at a spot as it was 2000 years ago when Jesus was preaching for example.

In either case we are observing the past. We will probably never be able to interact with the past but we may be able to observe it at periods of longer ago than 1 billionth of a second.

no because "time" is merely the term humans gave to explain the movement of matter throughout the universe. The world simply "is", the idea of past and future exist only in the mind.

Don't think it would be possible as it is portrayed in films and books. I think that if that was the case then we would have people being 'teleported' into our backyards and shit like that.

HOWEVER, a better question to ask is, what would you DO if and what time period you would GO TO if you could travel into the future or the past??

I think I know where I would go

Do you think you should flag that as NSFW. Clicking on the link gives a mnessage that your ipd address is logged and you are reported. Nice one fella

But I would argue that is in itself a form of time travel. Looking at a spot as it was 1 billionth of a second ago is no different to looking at a spot as it was 2000 years ago when Jesus was preaching for example.

In either case we are observing the past. We will probably never be able to interact with the past but we may be able to observe it at periods of longer ago than 1 billionth of a second.

every time you look at the sky at night youre seeing the past

doesnt make your eyes a time machine though

I don't think it's possible as has been said by few people, the past has happened and ceased to exist, only existing in our memory and in the effects of itself on the present.

Having said that, and on a similar train of thought, if it were to be possible, then I suspect that it would be made so by a machine being made that effectively recorded reality, that would allow someone to step back to precise moment of this machines memory.

Hell, it may not even be a machine, could just be a person. Although in both cases whether you'd call that time travel as such is a different matter. You'd be travelling in time by logging into a memory, a bit like the characters in the Matrix loading into the Matrix. I suppose you could alter things whilst there but also wouldn't be capable of overly affecting the real world.

Â