Ronaldo vs Messi

colleh

Which one is the better player?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the better player?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

But Barcelona had an allleged weak defence including a Pl reject in Pique and they were not really troubled at all in teh final.

Last year 6th place in La Liga was Villareal and they would beat us easily IMO. Upfront they have international strikers for Italy and Brazil in Rossi and Nilmar.(who got a hatrick in last Brazil match)

Better goalkeeper and centre backs in Lopez Godin and Gonzalo plus in midfield player of Ero 2008 in may peoples eyes and a top winger who rejected Real Madrid in the summer.

Much better than what we have IMO :(

Barca's actual backline isn't that great. Alves is more like a winger, Abidal is solid whilst Pique and Puyol are good, but most of there defense comes from simply not allowing the other team to breathe all over the field and when they get the ball, they don't let the other team have it.

I don't think Villareal are that much better than us, of course this IMO. Spurs are probably better than them though and Man City definitely are.

I consider the relegation fodder/mid table teams in Spain to be much worse than the ones in England.

Don't be so naive to think the Prem is that far ahead of La Liga, look at this:

Burnley

Stoke

SHA

Wolves

Wigan

Blackburn

Bolton

Hull

Portsmouth

average to poor teams.

I could throw in Sunderland, West Ham and Fulham as average/decent teams. that's 12 teams out of a 20 team league.

The good/very good teams: Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Us, Everton, Spurs, Man City.

Now look at Spain,

Poor or average teams:

Xerez

Mallorca

Malaga

Santander

Gijon

Osasuna

Vallodolid

Tenerife

Espanyol

Zaragoza

Almeria

Average/Decent:

Deportivo La Coruna, Getafe, Espanyol

Good/very good teams:

Barca

Real Madrid

Sevilla

Valencia

Villarreal

Atletico Madrid

La Liga has no set in stone top4 as luckily for them they have shared champions lague qualification around among several teams in recent years.

As for Ronaldo vs Messi, you have to ask the question, who brings more to the team?

Ronaldo is more of a goal threat, although Messi is fairly prolific himself, while Messi is more of a team player.

For me I'd choose Messi, although if both of them continue at this level of performance they'll be heading for, well I don't want to say it but, best ever territory.

If you're talking about depth, then you can't just look at the top league. I think our Championship sides would run up a cricket score against most 2nd division sides in other countries.

As for the top, Ronaldo. I think alot of their abilities are equal, but the ariel ability, strength and pace of Ronaldo put him in front for me.

I wonder what the difference between Ronaldo and Messi's attempts on goal this season is?

Ronaldo has the 'i'll just be selfish and shoot as much as i can, it'll go in eventually' approach, where as Messi is by far the better team player.

IMO Ronaldo has half the natural talent of Messi, Kaka or even Robinho. But what he does have is an immense physique. Remember when he was Messi's age and was basicaly bullied off the ball every time and was pretty much shit? He's worked hard to get where he is today, where as Messi is just naturally a brilliant footballer.

Ronaldo is a better athlete, but Messi is the better footballer.

agree with CEBD

ronaldo does have a different approach to the game, which like the CL final doesnt always work for him

what i would add is that messi doesnt half take some kicks in that league, but he never really moans, messi IMO seems to enjoy his football alot more than ronaldo does

If you're talking about depth, then you can't just look at the top league. I think our Championship sides would run up a cricket score against most 2nd division sides in other countries.

As for the top, Ronaldo. I think alot of their abilities are equal, but the ariel ability, strength and pace of Ronaldo put him in front for me.

I take it you didnt see last seasons Champions League final? Incredible header from Lionel.

As for strength and pace, Messi has those in massive quantities. I was in Madrid in May, watching Messi get absolutely battered every time he got the ball against Real. Yet he either was knocked to the floor and got straight back up, or shrugged the challenger off and sprinted away.

In a straight sprint, without the ball, Ronaldo would probably win - see Second Leg against Arse in Chumps League last year when he ran the length of the pitch to catch up with the counter attack.

But a sprint with the ball would be a different kettle of fish. Messi is simply a magician with the ball. It's almost stuck to his feet.

If I had to choose for Villa, Messi every time.

I take it you didnt see last seasons Champions League final? Incredible header from Lionel.

Indeed. But Ronaldo scores more headers. He is one of the best headers of the ball in the game today.

Indeed. But Ronaldo scores more headers. He is one of the best headers of the ball in the game today.

A good header of the ball he definitely is. One of the best in the game today? That I question.

Ronaldo also seems to have a put on a bit of timber in La Liga this year. Doesnt seem to have affected him one jot, but an observation nontheless!

He scores a hell of a lot of headers. Ronaldo is a big bloke too. He is 6'2" in his boots, I dont know how much he weighs but he is built like a middleweight too. He got knocked off the ball all the time when he first got into the Man Utd team, hence the "showpony" jibes, but he doesnt take that shit anymore. His technique is fantastic, he is as strong and can jump as high as any centre half. He is a genuine threat in the air from any cross or corner. As a header of the ball he is absolutely top drawer.

im not sure if its his actual heading technique, more that IMO ronaldo is the best timer of a jump in football, the athleticism comes into it too, he seems to jump higher than anyone else

but messi is alot like owen, pretty good on his head but his height obviously goes against him so the ball has to be spot on

someone made a great point in the match thread, ronaldo's goal against us, the flick, got raved about for ages IIRC was a contender for goal of the season, gabbys goal last night? labelled as cheeky, thats about it, our media really over egged ronaldo, some of the dross that was printed about him being twice as good as messi in the CL build up was a joke, but i guess thats what i get for reading the sun

As for strength and pace, Messi has those in massive quantities. I was in Madrid in May, watching Messi get absolutely battered every time he got the ball against Real. Yet he either was knocked to the floor and got straight back up, or shrugged the challenger off and sprinted away.

In a straight sprint, without the ball, Ronaldo would probably win - see Second Leg against Arse in Chumps League last year when he ran the length of the pitch to catch up with the counter attack.

But a sprint with the ball would be a different kettle of fish. Messi is simply a magician with the ball. It's almost stuck to his feet.

If I had to choose for Villa, Messi every time.

I did watch last years CL final and to be honest, he had an open header which many players with poor heading ability would have burried. It's headers like Ronaldo's in Rome a few years back that are just incredible that very few others would score. I also think strength and pace that Ronaldo is better. Messi may be better on the ball, but off the ball pace is just as important, if not more to be honest. You can play any ball past the defense and Ronaldo will probably get their before most, Messi has to beat players. Ronaldo makes the game easier for team mates in my opinion, you don't have to play good passes or crosses, but he'll get them.

when is real madrid vs barcelona? what a game that will be!!

Nov 29th 2009 - Barca vs Madrid

Apr 11th 2010 - Madrid vs Barca

As for the original topic - Messi as a) I believe he is a better all round player and person and B) I cannot bring myself to vote for the showpony.

Â