LC: Cardiff City h 2009/09/23 Reactions and Ratings

NurembergVillan

Nah, I have full respect for all the Villa fans that turned up, and at some points we had some good loud ones going. I just thought it was very quiet tonight on the whole. I admit, I'll never be the one to start a song but I'll join in. Just wasn't much to join in to. Plus, I was in the Lower North which only had about 10 people in it in total and was right underneath all the away fans.

i expected more from cardiff only heard them a couple of times all game altho i spose conceding after 4 mins or whatever is hardly gonna be conducive for a good atmosphere

I sat in the lower north and thought they were very noisy. All depends where you sit. Only heard the Holte a couple of times. Depends where you sit I think.

Ill give my ratings as no-one else has,

Guzan- 7 Didn't really have much to do made a few decent saves.

Beye- 7 I don't think this guy knows he's a RB he gets sucked into CB role so easily, however had to hold up the whole of the right wing and made some decent runs forward.

Collins-7 Did good, usual solid at back always looks for a clearance to go to a player not just a hoof.

Cuellar- 8 I thought he had a good game but in some decent tackles and critical times.

Shorey-7 Did okay going forward but still shakey at the back.

Gardner 5- He did pretty poor I'm not sure if he started off playing RM but he was never over there the game seriously lacked a winger and Milner was playing both wings.

Petrov-6 Did the usual, broke up play sometimes, won a penalty similar to weekend.

Delph-7 He's not afraid to put his foot in and make an important tackle, seems very confident on the ball.

Milner-8 Works very hard as usual especially playing on both left and right wing, shame he missed penalty.

Carew-6 Didn't do a lot, looked really like he couldn't be bothered at times.

Agbonglahor- 7 Did well for his goal and is on form.

I was disappointed with the low attendance, it was cheap tickets not on tele or anything but still not many turned up.

i was very dissapointed with the cardiff fans, they brought alot but hardly ever sang. I think i only heard them a few times. The holte was in fairly good voice tonight considering there wasnt too many of us.

Carlos was MOTM for me closely followed by Jimmy.

Would love to see Gabby's goal from a closer angle than from the Holte where i saw it from.

i thought we passed the ball about far better tonight rather than the hoof but i would still like to see petrov do something with the ball when he gets it. He comes back and begs collins, carlos, etc for the ball and then passes it straight back to them - he must have done that 20 times tonight!! Delph looked like he wanted to get the ball and turn and turn at run at the defenders at least.

Gardener was awful - couldnt pass, i dont think he knew where he was supposed to be playing and the touch straight off the pitch from a throw in summed it up.

Positives, good gabby contribution, great cross milner shouldve scored from and great goal. Delph looks good too and collins is the business i have to say, had boothroyd in his pocket the whole game and he's a big bloke.

Negatives - carew looks out of sorts and seemed to be hanging around in left midfield half the game, when we did break there was no one to cross to.

Overall, good passing particuarly the move for the pen, downside in general we take so long to attack and still dont appear to have anyone creative in themiddle to put a killer pass through.

Cardiff fans scared the shit out of me by the way outside the ground, havent seen that many congregated since the blues game in 2003 when they won 2-0 and dublin got sent off. loads of 'em!!

Based only on what I've read, sounds a bit disappointing really, sort of scraped through and possibly lucky their injury time goal was ruled out.

I'd have thought we should have scored more considering Cardiff had to chase the game for 87 minutes and we had our first-choice strike force on the pitch.

from seeing the highlights it seems we got a bit lucky with that offside decision as well as a few other chances where Beye lost his man and ended up the wrong side of him. the guys positioning is awful and thats not just in this game, but from all the games hes played so far. on the radio they were also saying how MON was shouting at him to stay wide and provide an outlet when we had the ball as he kept drifting inside.

as for positives well gabbys goal was quality, an brilliant backheel. also some of the passing, particulaly from delph, looked good and the move for the penalty was excellent. gabby involved again with a great ball for stan. guzan looked good as well, and the save i liked most was the one where he dived full strech to his left but kept hold of the ball as well, didnt push it away.

hopefully we get a good draw on saturday

From the 70 mins I caught on the net, Milner looked energetic as usual and Gabby's goal was great :)

Cheers mate. In future, any chance of sharing said information?

Thanks.

For some reason I felt the urge to pretend I had a link to get a response, I don't know why and I regret it.

:D

You just made me smile from ear to ear. Respect that man....

Another absolutely cracking goal from Gabby. Carew-esque some might say. Not a great performance but it's the result that matters and that's what we got.

I was sat in the North Stand hospitality area and was interested to notice that the stewards allowed the fans there to stand throughout. Is this normal? I'd not noticed it before.

Last thing...the Cardiff fans were amazing. Very good throughout and well up for it. Made for a good atmosphere, because the Villa fans certainly weren't going to create one.

Hang on a minute, the atmosphere in the Holte was pretty good considering it was only two thirs full. We sang throughout the game, despite the constant interference from the jobsworth stewards. The attendance was piss porr but those that were in the Holte gave a good account of themselves.

really pleased to have got through. thought we was pretty much in control even though cardiff has there chances.

thought milner was MOTM works so hard dont know where he gets his energy from. Delph was good as was petrov, gardner was poor but dont think he really knew what position he was playing. Cuellar was good and collins looked solid apart from one error where he dwelled on the ball a bit. Carew was better than saturday but still not there for me yet, and as for gabbys goal it was equisisit 4 in 4 games for him now :D

really hope we take this cup seriously, really want a trip to the new wembley with villa dont want to go to england game or any other game there before villa get there.

Guzan 8- had a few difficult things to deal with and dealt with everyting excellently.

Beye 7-solid and dependable

Cuellar-8* superb

Collins-6 Bothroyd caused him problems in the first half i thought. Generally dependable, but was caught in possession in the second half which could have cost us.

Shorey 7-good in possession and going forwards

Gardner 6-unfortunately as this was the league cup Gardner got his game as MON is obliged to play him at some stage. He did some good things, but MON seems to think he is a right winger which clearly he is not. Poor management and I felt for him at times. Albrighton should've played in ths position.

Petrov-8 made some nice interceptions. This poorer standard of opposition suits petrov though, as he seems to have plenty of time on the ball. Nice passing. Look beyond the excellent technique on the surface and he is still a major issue defensively in a 4 4 2.

Delph 8- Lively and an excellent range of passing. Somehow found himself in a midfield with Petrov again which fundamentally failed against Wigan, and again it looked vulnerable with Cardiff in possession.

Milner 7- a little wasteful unfortunately but the work rate was there again, and I also think he is equally as effective as Young on the left on current form.

Carew 6- didn't do enough, but his run leading up to the goal was excellent.

Gabby 7-Played with confidence, good goal, and looks to be shrugging off the 'lazy' tag.

Albrighton 8- could make the grade, and should've started ahead of Gardner in that position.

MON 5-unconvincing team selection and again failed to make changes. Petrov in a 4 4 2 against a team playing 5 across the middle was again overlooked and we got away with it, and Gardner IS NOT a right midfielder. No sign of NRC which is worrying. Play this system against Man City and Chelsea, and fans will begin to lose faith again.

Guzan 8- had a few difficult things to deal with and dealt with everyting excellently.

Cuellar-8* superb

Collins-6 Bothroyd caused him problems in the first half i thought. Generally dependable, but was caught in possession in the second half which could have cost us.

Gardner 6-unfortunately as this was the league cup Gardner got his game as MON is obliged to play him at some stage. He did some good things, but MON seems to think he is a right winger which clearly he is not. Poor management and I felt for him at times. Albrighton should've played in ths position.

Petrov-8 made some nice interceptions. This poorer standard of opposition suits petrov though, as he seems to have plenty of time on the ball. Nice passing. Look beyond the excellent technique on the surface and he is still a major issue defensively in a 4 4 2.

Delph 8- Lively and an excellent range of passing. Somehow found himself in a midfield with Petrov again which fundamentally failed against Wigan, and again it looked vulnerable with Cardiff in possession.

Milner 7- a little wasteful unfortunately but the work rate was there again, and I also think he is equally as effective as Young on the left on current form.

Gabby 7-Played with confidence, good goal, and looks to be shrugging off the 'lazy' tag.

Albrighton 8- could make the grade, and should've started ahead of Gardner in that position.

MON 5-unconvincing team selection and again failed to make changes. Petrov in a 4 4 2 against a team playing 5 across the middle was again overlooked and we got away with it, and Gardner IS NOT a right midfielder. No sign of NRC which is worrying. Play this system against Man City and Chelsea, and fans will begin to lose faith again.

This is odd.You've give Petrov and Delph 8s and then said the midfield looked vulnerable. These two judgements surely cannot sit sensibly together.

I'd think that the reason that O'Neill played Gardner at right midfield is because he wanted to play Delph in the centre with a more experienced player alongside him, which was Petrov. The competition for places is strong at the moment which means that players like Gardner won't always get to play in their prefered positions.

I can't see any reason to believe that O'Neill will play 4-4-2 against Man City or Chelsea, he didn't play that way away to Liverpool or Blues so i don't think he'd be naive enough to think that a 4 man midfield of Delph, Petrov, Milner or Young would be strong enough to face Citeh or Chelsea.

To be fair i think if we shipped Coker for someone like Jenas at January most Villa fans would take that.

hmmm, Collins 6? had him down as our best player for the first 55 minutes so I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder - it could also be bias what with me being a sheep sheep sheepshagger!

Carew 6 - agree, did he want to be subbed off and MoN pretend not to notice?

North stand acoustics played its part I think - couldn't hear much from Cardiff, though singing 'shit support' to 4,000+ was a bit rich

I'd think that the reason that O'Neill played Gardner at right midfield is because he wanted to play Delph in the centre with a more experienced player alongside him, which was Petrov. The competition for places is strong at the moment which means that players like Gardner won't always get to play in their prefered positions.

I can't see any reason to believe that O'Neill will play 4-4-2 against Man City or Chelsea, he didn't play that way away to Liverpool or Blues so i don't think he'd be naive enough to think that a 4 man midfield of Delph, Petrov, Milner or Young would be strong enough to face Citeh or Chelsea.

To be fair i think if we shipped Coker for someone like Jenas at January most Villa fans would take that.

In this case why should Gardner play at all?? He needs to be played in his proper position. Right midfield is also Albrighton's position who was good when he came on. I don't want to put a dampener on the result, but when i heard the team I thought excellent, a chance maybe to try:

Guzan

Beye Cuellar Collins Shorey

Petrov

Gardner Delph

Gabby Milner

Carew

I might've guessed though that he'd be rigid and play the team he did though. As for Petrov being experienced, well quite, yes, but it has been proven he gets overrun in a 442. So why put the lightweight Delph with him against a midfield 5? Baffling...

As for Coker leaving, well I agree with that to an extent, but if things start going wrong we may start to nosedive, because Coker actually cares about things like that. That's probably one for the Reo Coker thread however lol...

Cuellar-8* superb

This is odd.You've give Petrov and Delph 8s and then said the midfield looked vulnerable. These two judgements surely cannot sit sensibly together.

Haha, I knew someone would pick up on this. What I tried to get across is that they were both actually excellent with the ball at their feet. However, the system, from a defensive point of view was wrong, I felt, as it usually is with Petrov in a 442. Perhaps I was being over generous with 8s but I actually would've felt harsh giving them 7 as their passing range was so good. That's why I marked MON down as opposed to those two. Hard one to explain lol!