LC: Cardiff City h 2009/09/23 Reactions and Ratings

NurembergVillan

Did Albrighton get a run and if so how did he go?

Gardner played right mid and when Albrighton came on it showed what we were missing on the right flank. He was lively, got crosses in at every opportunity, and they were very good. Nice cameo

This is odd.You've give Petrov and Delph 8s and then said the midfield looked vulnerable. These two judgements surely cannot sit sensibly together.

Haha, I knew someone would pick up on this. What I tried to get across is that they were both actually excellent with the ball at their feet. However, the system, from a defensive point of view was wrong, I felt, as it usually is with Petrov in a 442. Perhaps I was being over generous with 8s but I actually would've felt harsh giving them 7 as their passing range was so good. That's why I marked MON down as opposed to those two. Hard one to explain lol!

makes sense to me at least fella!

it is possible for your CM 2 to have fairly decent games, and yet still be outnumbered/overrun/outbattled at times.

I think that is essentailly what you are getting at?

Pleased we, like some other teams, are taking this seriously.

Citeh too, it seems. Obviously their best chnace of silverware too :lol: :winkold:

TBH, although we are "taking it seriously" i'd still have liked to have seen a few more given a chance last night, like Fonz and Albrighton the nite.

with cuellar having another good game, it does beggear the question of which CB gets dropped when L Young resumes at RB.

with cuellar having another good game, it does beggear the question of which CB gets dropped when L Young resumes at RB.

That is a great state of affairs for us to be in though Jon, something that since MON has been at the club has been a rare occurrence. MON does have a habit in the past of sticking with favourites rather than rotation and playing on merit, so we shall see. Interesting times ahead, especially for the defence

Delighted to be through.

I think Milner will still be running round VP now.

A bit nervy at the end there, but it's now 6 wins on the bounce, 4 clean sheets in a row and 4 goals in 4 games for Gabby!

I really would like a cup run. Barnsley away in the 4th round please.

GAME HIGHLIGHTS

I was sat in the North Stand hospitality area and was interested to notice that the stewards allowed the fans there to stand throughout. Is this normal? I'd not noticed it before.

no its just one of the annoying pisstakes that football grounds like to employ, the away fans can stand all game but the home fans cant

happened during the vienna game, some jobsworth came up to the top of the holte saying sit down or your out, after much effing and jeffing the one bloke sat down, the steward moved on, the bloke stood up and started "stand up if you love villa" twas brilliant

same thing happened at old trafford when we played austria in qualifying, some proper northener straight from the mine tried that and about 6 coppers dragged him out kicking and screaming

Solid result, don't think any injuries there, it looks like Everton and Spuds are taking this very seriously, understandable, who the hell put Enckleman in that kit, i nearly threw up, don't they like him, Enckleman forget pink get stains its a lot less conspicuous, made me laugh, Gabby's goal was excellent, very cheeky but not a word in terms of reporting as to how well he took the goal yet when Ronaldo scored a virtually identical goal against Villa he was heralded as the new messiah and only a world class striker could have that kind of audacity, amazing.

^^^

Exactly my thoughts, though I didn't see the game. Have seen the highlights and Gabbys goal oozes confidence. Soon he'll score with his back against the goal and 20 yards out. :P

6 straight wins, 4 cleans sheets. Let's hope we can continue on this.

think some people watched a different game to me. we seemed poor at the back, how many free headers did they have in the first half. A decent team could have hammered us. Really disappointed in Gardner, i realise he was played out of position but that doesnt stop you trying. He was poor in the tackle, left Beye exposed numerous time, couldnt pass and didnt get forward to help.

We were in control for the second half, annoyed me that Petrov seem to bottle a number of tackles and that Gaby and Big John created very little. Good display from Milner and Delph

Thought we lacked balance all night tbh until albrighton came on, basically whichever flank Milner moved to, thats where the play was going. I'm pretty sure Gardner had been told to push up and out but he's never a Right Midfielder and really struggled to have any impact. I still thought he'd make a bigger impression on the game though.

Think Albrighton should have started TBH, yes he lacks experience but he showed some nice touches and got in behind his full back a couple of times to send over some teasing balls, Midfield looked better for the 10 minutes he was on,

only wish O'Neill would rest Petrov, i think he'll start to tire as the season runs and we'll be punished for his absence.

Other than that i think the defence on the whole looked solid, although Baye struggled without any real support in front of him, Guzan looks a safe pair of hands. and Gabby looks like a complete player again, dropping deep, moving wide, driving on with the ball, showing great vision now too, Gabby a few years back wouldn't have seen Petrovs run to win the Pen.

Carew seems to be lacking abit though, i think he's still warming up, it always take him a few games to get upto speed.

Delph was brilliant, needs to cut out getting cought in possession but his vision and passing ability is already unparralled imo in our current team. Spotted and made some great passes last night, switching play wonderfully. I think once he's upto speed he'll be a massive asset.

>>Highlights<<

What a naughty little pearl from Gabby. :P This guy has gained a certain confidence by now, that's for sure. Not so good though, that we seemingly didn't defend as well aerially as I would have expected.

Thanks for those :D

Looks like Cardiff created some good chances.. the header in second highlight should have been buried.

Nice crack at the end there.. was it Delph? Hit with left foot so I'm assuming it was him.

only wish O'Neill would rest Petrov, i think he'll start to tire as the season runs and we'll be punished for his absence.

I think he would have done if it wasn't for Reo Coker being sulky.

Not sure I'd trust anyone else in that holding role. Gardner is better suited there than right midfield, but that holding role is far too important to risk someone who hasn't played all season.

I think it's too early to talk about resting players. Come December we'll perhaps need to start rotating. But then, hopefully, we'll have Downing as another option too, and maybe Reo Coker can rebuild his bridges.

IMO last night was like a crap christmas or birthday present.

The excitement of undoing the wrapping (first 2-3 minutes) then the boredom of having to play with a toy you didn't want to keep the adults happy.

p.s. Is Stan becoming Mark Draper, did he actually pass forwards in the game once?