PL: Portsmouth h 2009/09/19 Reactions and Ratings

NurembergVillan

Atwell does it again. In his short career he has quite the CV of screwups. Today he demonstrated that he doesn't know the finer rules of association football.

Kicking the ball up to your head in order to pass it back to the goalkeeper is illegal, is deemed a passback and should have resulted in an indirect freekick for us 8 yards out but this abortion of a ref who must have sex photos of someone in Soho Square let it slide and we all continued happily along.

Gringo"]I thought flicking the ball up so you could head it back to the keeper was classed as ungentlemanly conduct
I asked that on the match thread.

To be fair to atwell - none of the commentators picked up on it either - despite replaying it twice.

Atwell does it again. In his short career he has quite the CV of screwups. Today he demonstrated that he doesn't know the finer rules of association football.

Kicking the ball up to your head in order to pass it back to the goalkeeper is illegal, is deemed a passback and should have resulted in an indirect freekick for us 8 yards out but this abortion of a ref who must have sex photos of someone in Soho Square let it slide and we all continued happily along.

:lol:

The referee was very poor, he seemed desperate to blow for any infringment however minor. Really broke the game up far more than was necessary.

As for Beye, I thought he looked good going forward but his positioning was a little suspect. When bedding in a new central defence you probably need to keep things as tight at the back as possible, also Cuellar has been one of our best players this season so didn't deserve to be dropped.

Another win while not having to be at our best is always excellent in my book. We now seem to have a central defensive partnership which can be watched without hiding behind our hand's. Collins in particular, was impressive again, while Dunne was solid. Will wait to see how our new defence performs against the better teams before going overboard, but our defensive abilities now look more than promising.

However, less impressive, was the midfield partnership of Petrov and Sidwell who were overun at times and this is worrying against teams like Portsmouth. Although i'm not the greatest fan of Reo-Coker, we did however miss him today as we looked less solid in midfield! Still think we should stick to 4-5-1 with the players available and i do wish O'Neill would give either Gardner, or Delph a game instead of the inaffectual Sidwell. Petrov again struggled in the last 15 minutes and this will tell when we play against the better teams who will pick us off! Our ball retention still needs to improve, especially when under pressure!

Up to fifth and with Gabby on fire at the moment, our form should continue. However, just wish we had bought Bent, who is knocking in the goals for Sunderland already and with Bent in our squad, we could have rested Gabby more throughout the season. We can't expect Gabby to continue in the same vain of form without eventual burnout, indeed like last season. Maybe O'Neill will have learned from his mistake last January, when he did not buy someone of the same ilk as gabby to give him a well earned rest?

After the Wigan game, we have turned things around and lets hope we can keep it going when we play against the better teams?

Gringo"]I thought flicking the ball up so you could head it back to the keeper was classed as ungentlemanly conduct
I asked that on the match thread.

To be fair to atwell - none of the commentators picked up on it either - despite replaying it twice.

Yep you're both right :

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for

unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player: uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own

goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee etc. in order to circumvent the Law,

irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or

not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent

both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect

free kick

Unfortunately it's no longer called "Ungentlemanly Conduct" but "Unsporting Behaviour". :angry:

No sorry Gringo, I know what you're saying but the fact remains that the referee is the ONLY man on the pitch or watching the game who is supposed to know EVERY rule not just the easy ones. It's OK for the beer-addled tattoo-riddled neanderthals in the crowd to know 99% of the rules and let the odd one slip by. But if the one man in control of the game doesn't actually know the f**king rules to his own game then where is it all heading? To me, that's dumbing down a step too far. The fact the commentators didn't pick up on it just means they're no more knowledgeable than the fan in the stands, but then we knew that already :D

The referee was very poor, he seemed desperate to blow for any infringment however minor. Really broke the game up far more than was necessary.

As for Beye, I thought he looked good going forward but his positioning was a little suspect. When bedding in a new central defence you probably need to keep things as tight at the back as possible, also Cuellar has been one of our best players this season so didn't deserve to be dropped.

Agree on both parts. Ref didn't make any major wrong decisions (I must admit I didn't know that rule about the pass-back though) but was constantly picky. Beye will be a good player to have in the squad I feel.

Sometimes you have to buy something to realise how shit it is. Then it's too late.

sorry but i dont think beye is shit at all. think he has done a steady job and is backup anyways. if anything he is 3rd choice rb behind cuellar and l young. also can play cb. for what 2m he hasnt done too bad in my eyes.

collins and warnock both look good so far but lets see how they cope against better strikers and wingers

Well Dem I was saying this while Beye was actually playing. And now within 3 league games our brand new signing is already 3rd choice behind a centreback who can't play forward. Says it all really. No need for me to continue to argue the fact. MON is notoriously loyal to new purchases yet this one has gone in the bin. And we can disagree all we want. I'm just very happy that MON saw it before the rest of you.

And GABBY! We always knew he was fast, and normally a good finisher, but now he seems to be developing excellent crossing, vision, generally good passing, and his workrate is good as well. I admit I had a few doubts (which I kept to myself btw Smile ), but now I think it's possible that he will turn into an actual WORLD CLASS player.

Woah woah...hold it not so fast!

No sorry Gringo, I know what you're saying but the fact remains that the referee is the ONLY man on the pitch or watching the game who is supposed to know EVERY rule not just the easy ones. It's OK for the beer-addled tattoo-riddled neanderthals in the crowd to know 99% of the rules and let the odd one slip by. But if the one man in control of the game doesn't actually know the f**king rules to his own game then where is it all heading? To me, that's dumbing down a step too far. The fact the commentators didn't pick up on it just means they're no more knowledgeable than the fan in the stands, but then we knew that already :D

Well one of them was beelzebub.

I noticed the passback immediately. Posted to the official web site, live discussion immediately, but they didn't publish it. Watching it on television in the U.S. I was also annoyed that the villa players didn't seem to think anything of it. My question is, all I could see was what the camera showed me. Did our players or manager do anything to "remind" any of the referee crew about this rule?

I also posted another complaint about Atwell, but they didn't publish it either. Lesson: I like the new live discussion on the official site, but they won't let it become negative about anybody...

MON is notoriously loyal to new purchases yet this one has gone in the bin. And we can disagree all we want. I'm just very happy that MON saw it before the rest of you.

He is even more loyal to players who he spends alot of money on. I.E. Davies over Knight when Knight was playing better. Petrov over any other mid two years ago when Petrov was playing real bad. I also believe this is another case of don't upset the costly star even if he not playing well.

Beye should be playing for me.

Well Dem I was saying this while Beye was actually playing. And now within 3 league games our brand new signing is already 3rd choice behind a centreback who can't play forward. Says it all really. No need for me to continue to argue the fact. MON is notoriously loyal to new purchases yet this one has gone in the bin. And we can disagree all we want. I'm just very happy that MON saw it before the rest of you.

but mon couldnt drop cuellar on his current form could he? he had to fit dunne, collins and cuellar into the side and beye hasnt actually done anything wrong that i have seen thus far.

you cant base an opinion that he is rubbish after what 3 or 4 games? im sure beye was informed he would be a squad player prior. what better rb at 2m would ahve been better as competition and can play emergency cb if required? think its a good piece of business from mon there personally.

MON is notoriously loyal to new purchases

:shock:

really?

Shorey.

Delph.

I think Beye is a decent player TBH, although i can also see why MON does not want to bench Cuellar at this stage, with an entire new defence playing.

i doubt Beye is going to get many games now, with Young coming back to fitness, which is a shame for him.

I bet he wishes he went to Hull now ....

i thought beye was excellent against plop and kind of expect him to be back in against cardiff, he reminds me alot of Richards, not great positionally but makes up for up with his pace

good player IMO, gives us another option when teams come to VP and park the bus