PL: Portsmouth h 2009/09/19 Reactions and Ratings

NurembergVillan

:clap:

I thought at times Villa made it look soooooooo easy.

But when it was needed Friedal came up with the goods, just get the impression and the confidence he has, he's got a good solid framework of a defence in front of him, these lads are just going to get better.

Gabby, do you know i take the micky a bit out of Gabbs not being the brightest star in the heavens, how stupid is that really, took it upon himself to improve his strength and agility in the lay of period, nobody had to tell him to do this, he knew within himself this would make him a better player :clap: didn't it show, game after game now, i give him MOTM based upon the goal, which felt a little like the one he missed at the end of the BCFC game.

A very good 2-0 win without exerting ourselves.

Another clean sheet. Lots of positives to take from the game. Just wish more people had stayed around to give the team the applause they so richly deserved.

Oh well done you, have a gold star!

If people can stay to boo why can't they stay to clap? I also fail to understand how people can buy a ticket and then leave 10-15 minutes from the end. Would they do this at the theatre or at the cinema? Bizarre really.

Where you at the game today? I was and I didn't see people leaving 10-15 minutes from time. I saw people leaving a couple of minutes before full time 5 at most and most of them hang around the exits watching until the end.

I have about an 1 hour and half drive back from games and although I don't leave early I can understand why some do because getting back to your car a few minutes early can make a huge difference to your journey.

Defence looked solid, one thing though, when gabby/young breaks there was **** all support for them

We went to 4-5-1 for the last 15-20 minutes, and the players seemed to be under instruction to kill the game. Management appears to have learned from the Stoke debacle...

Our back five were good today, best I've seen them this season. Occasional lack of concentration, once from Dunne, one from Warnock, but luckily today, Pompey weren't really going to trouble us.

Petrov ran the game today, made some good interceptions, but mainly his passing was his asset, he was picking out the right pass every single time, running the game at his own tempo. If he didn't see a good chance to attack, it was a simple pass to a man in space. If he saw a player open up the field, he played some beautiful long, diagonal passes. Great performance from our captain.

Sidwell ran his heart out in the absence of NRC. Not as good or as strong as Nigel, but he added to the performance today. Got forward as well to support the strikers.

Disappointed with Ashley Young today. He doesn't seem to take on his men as much as he used to, before he won Young Player of the Year and got a big contract. His delivery has got a lot better though since the end of last season, some very dangerous balls being put into the opposition area again.

Milner had a great game after a poor one against Blues. Some very good work on the ball, some great passing and through balls, excellent flick-on to set up Gabby, and took his penalty well. Glad he stepped up after admitting he wasn't at his best last weekend.

Gabby and Carew did ok, not spectacular, but got in the faces of the defenders. Gabby took his goal with ease, lovely turn around the defender, and no stopping the shot. Three goals for the season, and we can expect more the way he's going about things.

MOTM - between Milner and Petrov.

Main point - another three points, another clean sheet, more confidence for the lads. It doesn't even look like we've hit top gear yet this season, but we're still winning fairly comfortably. Fingers crossed for three more points at Blackburn.

I thought Sidwell did an excellent job today, great energy levels.

Come on your having a laugh, he did nothing all game. He had a real chance today to come out and establish himself in the middle. Yes he gets in the box, sometimes, but its a game of 90 mins too many times today the back four, who looked solid again today, were looking for a player to pass to.......Sidwell spent all game 4 feet from O'Hara even when we had the ball. Young and Milner were again left isolated when they got the ball as none the two middle players gave them an outlet to pass to. so we have to go back all the time.

Like people say, it wasn't the best of perfomances but today did show that we still lack that attacking influence from the middle, Young was infective too this ment times he and Milner were left isolated on the wings with four pompey players to get through hence why the ball often came back. Need to get involved more.

Gabby - thats whet we like to see can see some confidence in him, great turn for the goal and made some intelligent runs.

Far from a solid performance too many times pompey had a pop from the edge of the box, alright they didn't go in but better shooting and we might have lost.

3 points YES, room for improvent DEFO. We all move on

I thought Sidwell did an excellent job today, great energy levels.

Come on your having a laugh, he did nothing all game. He had a real chance today to come out and establish himself in the middle. Yes he gets in the box, sometimes, but its a game of 90 mins too many times today the back four, who looked solid again today, were looking for a player to pass to.......Sidwell spent all game 4 feet from O'Hara even when we had the ball. Young and Milner were again left isolated when they got the ball as none the two middle players gave them an outlet to pass to. so we have to go back all the time.

Like people say, it wasn't the best of perfomances but today did show that we still lack that attacking influence from the middle, Young was infective too this ment times he and Milner were left isolated on the wings with four pompey players to get through hence why the ball often came back. Need to get involved more.

Gabby - thats whet we like to see can see some confidence in him, great turn for the goal and made some intelligent runs.

Far from a solid performance too many times pompey had a pop from the edge of the box, alright they didn't go in but better shooting and we might have lost.

3 points YES, room for improvent DEFO. We all move on

I agree Sidwell should look for the ball more often HOWEVER That is most likely to be Petrov's role, Petrov's space to work in.

I'm talking on a pure defensive basis, the amount of work he got through was unbelievable, everytime I saw Portsmouth lose the ball, it always seemed to be a tackle or interception from Sidwell. When your playing next to Petrov who has low energy levels, this is so vital you have someone who can do all the dirty work. Sort of like Barry and Reo-Coker of the 07-08 season, Barry used to get on the ball as much as possible, while Coker did all the dirty work in the middle and that's what Sidwell did, along with that, he rarely gave the ball away and kept the ball well for us.

He's not flashy at all, but he gets tight to players, gets stuck in, and really puts a big shift in.

not a great game but job done in terms of points

few comments

Sidwell showed up in the game today so it maybe the 5 man midfield that seems to make him invisible

Petrov did look tired towards the end and Pompey did boss the second half far too much for my liking

Gabby looks strong so the weights are clearly working

Brad after spilling one first half , had a great game

After watching Boateng ponce around and whining loved the way Dunne gave him a cruncher from behind as if to say "shut up whining" finally we seem to have a defender prepared to get stuck in and rough up forwards ..can't wait to see Drogba dive his way around VP in a few weeks time

Cuellar looked the weak link today and we need a RB playing at RB

Heskey injured again ..as I've said previously I just don't think he has the heart for it .. hope the injury is not serious but really don't want to see him in a villa shirt again ... come Jan we need a striker and a good one at that ..

another win after an average performance, cant complain too much!!!

(altho lik last season i dont think its sustainable)

For the first part ; THIS

For the second part - disagree. We have a solid defence now. All we need is another striker pushing Gabby and JC. That might be Delfouneso. It might be a new player.

It definitely won't be Emile.

Heskey did well when he came on. He only did two things really, which were a) winning a flick on which Gabby chased down to start a dangerous attack, and B) winning the ball back in the tackle which injured him, and could have started a counter-attack if the ref hadn't have blown the whistle.

He's a decent back-up for Carew. The squad will suffer if he's out for a while.