PL: Blackburn a Match Thread 2009/09/26 15:00

limpid

What odds on MON subbing NRC if we need to bring on Carew?

Pretty decent but it may be the right move, if we are searching for a goal in the back end of the game i'd rather have Delph in the middle with Petrov as that i feel is the most creative midfield we can currently field for the 4-4-2 with Carew and Gabby up front.

Honestly hoping we bag a couple in the first half and just shut down the game as we have done before this season though. UTV

What odds on MON subbing NRC if we need to bring on Carew?

Pretty decent but it may be the right move, if we are searching for a goal in the back end of the game i'd rather have Delph in the middle with Petrov as that i feel is the most creative midfield we can currently field for the 4-4-2 with Carew and Gabby up front.

Honestly hoping we bag a couple in the first half and just shut down the game as we have done before this season though. UTV

But we also don't want to concede and lose if we switch to a 4-4-2!!

We have seen a 4-4-2 with Petrov and Delph and it is lightweight - Wigan, Rapid Vienna and Cardiff - particularly in the last 30 when Stan is tired.

Massive game this, because if we get this we have had our best start for a very long time.

I would start with the settled back 4, I would drag Young (if he plays) from the left side into a more central roll just tucked into the hole behind Gabby, he's getting tagged way to easily on the left, I think Fabs is showing he is going to be a huge force in the game, Blackburn would be a great run out for him allowing him to get used to the Premiership.

And of course its as plain as the nose on everybodies face that Gabby continues this form he's in, IMO he is well capable of putting Blackburn to the sword, lets hope he's up for it. :clap:

We'll hammer these mugs (hopefully)

What was Dave Jones again Rob?

A paedophile :lol:

Sorry I didn't realise you were behind me, I'm awful at remembering faces til I've seen em about 6 times :oops:

But we also don't want to concede and lose if we switch to a 4-4-2!!

True enough mate, i think the way Blackburn play is very direct under Sam, i think we may be able to get away with it for this game.

If we actually stay composed on the ball, which we have been incapable of during this season, we should be able to play all around them in my opinion, we should win this comfortably.

i hope that we dont get dragged into playing the same way that blackburn will, which is sometimes what happens to us i think: long ball into our box, win ball, hoof long ball back out again! hopefully we will remember to hold on to the ball a bit, and use the "long ball into space for a fast break" tactic as a surprise rather than "plan a".

nice to see a manager saying that there is no problem with teams playing direct football for a change, instead of the usual wenger style - "its not fair the other boys are too rough" rubbish!

{continued on from topics elsewhere}

Why on earth does everyone seem to think Sidwell will be dropped? See Sidwell has done nothing wrong and has played well. I don't get the clamour for Delph in a midfield 5, sorry If we do indeed play 5 it will be Petrov, NRC and Sidwell. Or if Delph is playing he will be there instead of NRC. Me, I think MON will look at B'Burn and keep 4-4-2

{continued on from topics elsewhere}

Why on earth does everyone seem to think Sidwell will be dropped? See Sidwell has done nothing wrong and has played well. I don't get the clamour for Delph in a midfield 5, sorry If we do indeed play 5 it will be Petrov, NRC and Sidwell. Or if Delph is playing he will be there instead of NRC. Me, I think MON will look at B'Burn and keep 4-4-2

Sidwell is injured. :|

I would rather Sidwell than Delph in midfield for this match personally, I think the clamour for Delph is just that he adds an element of the unknown for people.

As for the formation today I rather suspect Blackburn will like up in a 4-5-1 formation rather than 4-4-2 and if that is the case I hope we do the same otherwise I think we will struggle in the middle of the pitch.

There's only one name on everyone's lips at the moment if you're of claret and blue persuasion and that's Gabby Agbonlahor.

The super striker is bang in form with four goals in four games and will be looking to add more to his collection this weekend when Villa face Blackburn. Agbonlahor is, like his team-mates, high on confidence as another Barclays Premier League game rolls around. But for all that belief, manager Martin O'Neill will be only too aware of the difficulty of this weekend's clash.

If you're talking numbers, his claret and blue troops are gunning for their six win in a row in all competitions, their fifth consecutive top-flight win and are also chasing their fourth consecutive victory away at Blackburn. But the management staff and players will be fully prepped for a stiff test against a struggling side with plenty to prove.

Blackburn were well beaten by Everton last weekend and Sam Allardyce was an angry man after the 3-0 defeat. He will have made his players aware of the need to start picking up results after a frustrating start to the season. Rovers have garnered only four points from five games thus far with a win over Wolves and a draw with West Ham United all they have to show for their efforts.

But Allardyce has a reputation as a man who is able to get the most out of his sides, with a terrific knack of producing results under trying circumstances - an ability well honed during his time with Bolton. Although he could not work his magic fast enough to prevent a swift departure from Newcastle, he proved his Reebok exploits weren't a flash in the pan during the second half of the 2008-09 season as he led Blackburn to safety.

And his record at Ewood Park made most impressive viewing. Prior to his arrival the team had taken just five points from eight matches but they picked up 19 points in their subsequent 10 home games - a terrific haul.

Nevertheless, MON's men were one of the teams who did not struggle at Ewood Park during that period, as goals from James Milner and Agbonlahor did the damage. It was not a flash in the pan either. The previous term saw a 4-0 victory while Patrik Berger and Agbonlahor were on target in a 2-1 win in April 2007.

Villa will be hoping to extend that happy sequence but go into the game without Steve Sidwell, who is nursing a thigh injury. Nigel Reo-Coker is recalled to the squad while Ashley Young (calf) and Emile Heskey (ankle) should also return after sitting out the Carling Cup win over Cardiff.

Luke Young (personal) is "very close" to first team action while Wilfred Bouma (ankle), Stewart Downing (foot) and Curtis Davies (shoulder) will be absent. The only injury doubt for Blackburn is Gael Givet (knee).

click

Isn't sidders injured hence why people aren't picking him.

He's injured as Lancs says...

I don't think he's even travelled up to Ewood this weekend...

Which is a bit like me :( because i'm full of cold....so didn't get a ticket...

Gutted cos everyone was meeting up this morning for breakfast!

This is the type of game we need to be winning if we want to push on and is the type of game we are more than capable of winning. However, I think Blackburn will be going for the draw. So, I'll go for us winning 2-1, or it being 1-1. I think it will be close anyway.