• Sgt. Pepper
    • White Album
    • Let It Be
    • Abbey Road
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • Meet The Beatles
    • With The Beatles
    • Help!

Although made using the off-cuts from Sgt Peppers, I think Magical Mystery Tour is their best. Although I think they're one of, if not the best band of all time it's quite strange that I really don't think they released a single album which doesn't have some really weak songs.

Peppers/Mystery Tour could, should have been the greatest album of all time but they decided to release their material over two separate albums that year.

If you cherry pick the best songs from both albums.....

Side one

#

1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

2. "With a Little Help from My Friends"

3. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

4. "Getting Better"

5. "She's Leaving Home"

6. "Magical Mystery Tour"

7. "I Am the Walrus"

Side two

#

1. "Hello Goodbye"

2. "Strawberry Fields Forever"

3. "Baby, You're a Rich Man"

4. "All You Need Is Love"

5. "Within You Without You"

6. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"

7. "A Day in the Life"

IMO of course.

Abbey Rd

Revolver

Rubber Soul

Sgt Pepper's

The Beatles

...in that order.

But I love all of their stuff. Never tire of listening to their albums.

I don't trust anyone who says they dislike the Beatles or animals. One of my rules of thumb in life....;-)

Revolver would be a strong contender but for the unfortunate presence of one track - "Yellow Submarine", which undoes a lot of good work.

Yellow submarine was an excellent song, actually. Love the choirs in the refrain.

They made some good songs, though not many enough for me to like a whole album. Apart from maybe "1" which of course represents most of their good stuff. Not an entirely good album, though.

Revolver would be a strong contender but for the unfortunate presence of one track - "Yellow Submarine", which undoes a lot of good work.

Yellow submarine was an excellent song, actually. Love the choirs in the refrain.

One man's meat, I guess. I'm a HUGE Beatles fan and I've hated it since about the third listen in 1966.

They made some good songs, though not many enough for me to like a whole album. Apart from maybe "1" which of course represents most of their good stuff. Not an entirely good album, though.
"1" is a flawed concept - supposedly number one singles only. So "Love Me Do" is in, but the much better "Please Please Me" is out (not technically a number one in SOME charts). "Penny Lane" is in, but not "Strawberry Fields" (despite the fact that it was a double "A"-side, and was NOT a number one anyway). "Yesterday" and "The Long and Winding Road" are in, but were not even UK singles.

The old "red" and "blue" compilations were much better generic "best of" albums, and the two "Past Masters" CDs were a more comprehensive round-up of non-album singles and the like.

I have pretty much everything they ever recorded, from the original vinyl to the CDs (including live and studio bootlegs, the Christmas fan club flexis, etc.), but these days I tend to prefer the BBC discs and the Anthologies, just because the material is a bit less over-familiar.

By the way mjmooney, what's your opinion on Let It Be... Naked?
Mmm. It's OK. I'd spent too many years listening to the old one though. And I've never subscribed to the received wisdom that the Phil Spector production ruined it - for example, I think "The Long and Winding Road" is much better WITH the sweeping strings.

"Naked" is an interesting listen, though - and the bonus disc of studio chat just makes me hanker for the "Let it Be" film on DVD. Where is it? :angry:

Shocking that Phil Spector dropped Don't Let Me Down, that's a brilliant song and would have been a damn sight better than Dig It or Maggie May. I think I prefer the original Let It Be (song), the guitar is much better.

I've never liked The Long and Winding Road though. Hate that song.

I don't think they were keen on releasing it on DVD with all the squabbling and arguments that went on.

Shocking that Phil Spector dropped Don't Let Me Down, that's a brilliant song and would have been a damn sight better than Dig It or Maggie May.
True. But it came out as a single B-side, so I didn't care, I got it that way.
I think I prefer the original Let It Be (song), the guitar is much better.
Absolutely. Fantastic solo on the album version, horrible tinny sound on the single.

I've never liked The Long and Winding Road though. Hate that song.
Fair enough, I rather like it.

I don't think they were keen on releasing (Let It Be) on DVD with all the squabbling and arguments that went on.
Sure, but that's what's so fascinating about it!

Aah Mike, I've been wondering why I couldn't get Let It Be on DVD - I have all the others! Now you've answered me, it hasn't been released yet - bet it will be now though with all the new Beatles releases.

Â