263 members have voted

1. 1. Villa Right Back 00's XI

• Steve Watson
    • Mark Delaney
    • Steve Stone
    • Ullises De La Cruz
    • Aaron Hughes
    • Luke Young

Gotta be Delaney. Best of a bad bunch, and I dont think Luke Young has played enough games for us at right back to be in the running.
Oooooh disagree there Rev - Delaney was a top four player for all but a short time during his career with Villa. He got a lot of abuse one season - hence the "I blame delaney" cry - but he was thrown in coming back from injury and was still a stonewall in the defence.

Gotta be Delaney. Best of a bad bunch, and I dont think Luke Young has played enough games for us at right back to be in the running.
Oooooh disagree there Rev - Delaney was a top four player for all but a short time during his career with Villa. He got a lot of abuse one season - hence the "I blame delaney" cry - but he was thrown in coming back from injury and was still a stonewall in the defence.

I never said he was a bad player, I just commented that he wins by default because everybody else was so **** awful.

Delaney was a very good player, and an excellent servant to Aston Villa FC. I just think he was a big hit with the fans because he made so many spectacular sliding tackles, but I always questioned the whether reason why he had to make so many last ditch tackles was because he didnt read the game as well as he might have done. Im not saying he was caught out of position all the time, but it was always just something that bugged me.

Very good player, but I dont think he was a great one.

You missed out:

Nigel Reo Coker

Carlos Cuellar

James Milner

Olof Mellberg

Craig Gardner

Oh they're not actually right backs...

Yet ISTR that we managed to get generally good results even without a right back...

Young for me is the better player so i've gone for him.

I was a big fan of Delaney though, as a defender he was great and his tackling was superb. One his best games for us was keeping an on form Ryan Giggs completely out of the game at Villa Park.

He was however fairly useless going forward and it was comical how he would frequently just overrun the ball straight out of play for a throw in or goal kick.

Since Mellberg played a full season there he could actually be considered and he would be right up there for me.

I actually put Young. I know he hasn`t been here long but i think he is marginally better. Thats probably a bit harsh on Delaney as i liked him a lot and he was consistant over a longer period of time. I haven`t seen anything from Young though to suggest he isn`t consistant.

Â