1. 1. Villa Right Back 00's XI

• Steve Watson
    • Mark Delaney
    • Steve Stone
    • Ullises De La Cruz
    • Aaron Hughes
    • Luke Young

So now Delaney is supposed to be the player that never was? :lol:

Wow - I seem to remember him having close to zero fans on here back in the day and for good reason.

Yes, he was good at the slide tackle but compared to Luke he was pretty poor in his all round game and thus nowhere near as good as him. His positional sense particularly was pretty shit, I seem to remember.

Since Mellberg played a full season there he could actually be considered and he would be right up there for me.

I didn't wanna put him in, in the case he won and couldn't be considered for the central defence poll :lol:

Still think Delaney would have won though...

You missed out:

Nigel Reo Coker

Carlos Cuellar

James Milner

Olof Mellberg

Craig Gardner

Oh they're not actually right backs...

Yet ISTR that we managed to get generally good results even without a right back...

Excuse me, did I suggest anything to the contrary no....

I was merely having a "playful" dig that we have had a lot of players at right back who aren't natural right back, I did not criticise or accuse or anything of the sort so please don't make me out to be someone who is getting on the back of the club, manager or whatever.

That is all.

Delaney was a great player, i loved those sliding tackles he'd do, where it seemed like his legs would stretch out along the turf to nick the ball away.

I still think it was a nice gesture of O'Neill to keep him on the books till he came to terms with his retirement.

Â