LC: Cardiff h 2009/09/23 Match Thread 19:45

limpid

Shorey .... was dropped for the new signing; just because he was the new signing!

Got any evience of that Jez?

It's one hell of s staement to make, and an ill founded one, IMHO.

Maybe Shorey was dropped for Warnock because, get this, MON feels Warnock is a better player.

So just because he is a better player the concept of squad rotation is dismissed?

What if god forbid Warnock is injured who comes in? A pissed off Shorey, why should he bother, he started this season well and was dropped because Warnock turned up!

For all we know Shorey could improve playing games and become better than Warnock. I doubt it as Warnock is the better player, but currently squad players have absolutely no incentive to play well when they get into the first team as MON will just drop them next game.

Once again evidence imo that MON is not comfortable with squad rotation something he has improve on for us to continuing improving. Otherwise knackered players will be replaced with pissed off players i bet resulting in a lower team performance.

What if god forbid Warnock is injured who comes in? A pissed off Shorey, why should he bother, he started this season well and was dropped because Warnock turned up!

wanst we all screaming for squad rotation jez? since warnock has come in we have conceded zero so i back mons decision here. ok shorey has improved recently but he had all of last year to show what he can do (with zero competition) and he was far too inconsistent

wanst we all screaming for squad rotation jez? since warnock has come in we have conceded zero so i back mons decision here. ok shorey has improved recently but he had all of last year to show what he can do (with zero competition) and he was far too inconsistent

Fine dont expect any decent performances from any fringe players tonight then, they not that stupid to actually think they have a chance of making it into the first team for a premier league game.

So Shorey was shit last season, starts this season well; who cares dropped in an instant anyway, why did he even bother trying to improve this?

This kind of contradicts what I said earlier, but thinking about it, this goes hand in hand with squad rotation. The 'less good' players aren't going to be picked ahead of the 'better' players.

Just like N'Gog, who despite having a decent game and scoring the winner for Liverpool last night, knows Torres will replace him for their game at the weekend.

Is this the Shorey who turned down a loan move because Pompey wouldn't give him a straight out guarantee of being first choice? If Shorey was really that hard done by surely he would take his chances at ousting Bellhadj, knowing that Warnock and (eventually) Bouma were likely to be above him in the pecking order.

Shorey .... was dropped for the new signing; just because he was the new signing!

Got any evience of that Jez?

It's one hell of s staement to make, and an ill founded one, IMHO.

Maybe Shorey was dropped for Warnock because, get this, MON feels Warnock is a better player.

So just because he is a better player the concept of squad rotation is dismissed?

For all we know Shorey could improve playing games and become better than Warnock. I doubt it as Warnock is the better player, but currently squad players have absolutely no incentive to play well when they get into the first team as MON will just drop them next game.

Once again evidence imo that MON is not comfortable with squad rotation something he has improve on for us to continuing improving. Otherwise knackered players will be replaced with pissed off players i bet resulting in a lower team performance.

How about an incentive is that those fringe players are paid alot of money to perform to the best of their ability when the manager calls upon them.

Like another poster said how can you explain N'Gog playing well and scoring last night, knowing full well that he will never get in ahead of torres? How can you explain delfonsou playing well in europe last year even though he knew he wouldn't start in the premier league the next game? How do you explain the arsenal youngsters playing well in the league cup last sason even though they were dropped for the next premier league game?

Squad roation isn't about playing someone till they are tired, giving someone else a chance and if they do well play them until they are tired and keep repeating. Squad rotation is about picking the team based on the opponents, sometimes that will mean playing your best team and sometimes that will mean giving the fringe players a chance.

I'm sure the fringe villa players know full well that performing in the league cup doesn't meant they should start the next premiership game but it certainly doesn't hurt their chances of getting a chance in the bigger games.

but currently squad players have absolutely no incentive to play well when they get into the first team as MON will just drop them next game.

What a stupid thing to say! Think about it! They make what, 15-30K a week being fringe players. That is what regular workers make in a year.

They can't help what they make of course, but I am pretty sure every one of them appreciate it some way or another. When you make 20K a week

and you play 20-25 matches for Villa during a season you should be pretty happy. And professional.

Cardiff have not played Villa since a 2-0 Division Two defeat at Villa Park in April 1975 as the Midlanders eased towards top-flight promotion, while the Welsh club were eventually relegated.

I remember this game. They kept eleven men in and around their own penalty area the whole time while Villa had some ridiculous number of corners (about 30 or something) before finally scoring after about 70 minutes.

Same again tonight will do (but hopefully we won't need quite so many corners).

Come on lads, lets have a good Cup run at last!

Cardiff have not played Villa since a 2-0 Division Two defeat at Villa Park in April 1975 as the Midlanders eased towards top-flight promotion, while the Welsh club were eventually relegated.

I remember this game. They kept eleven men in and around their own penalty area the whole time while Villa had some ridiculous number of corners (about 30 or something) before finally scoring after about 70 minutes.

Same again tonight will do (but hopefully we won't need quite so many corners).

Come on lads, lets have a good Cup run at last!

Did Brian Little score?

Fine dont expect any decent performances from any fringe players tonight then, they not that stupid to actually think they have a chance of making it into the first team for a premier league game.

so you think the team will just roll over?? they will want to give mon something to think about and besides wont they want to win some silverware?? as far as i am aware mon has not said it will be a complete fringe side.

an example to show you are wrong in this instance is guzan. he knows he is backup but when given an opportunity he has done well. how about the fonz another?

So Shorey was shit last season, starts this season well; who cares dropped in an instant anyway, why did he even bother trying to improve this?

so are you suggesting we stick with shorey all season even though he was really poor last season, and not signed warnock? from what i have seen from warnock he looks far better than shorey. im afraid it seems you are just looking at something to critise mon on here, as there is nothing else he can be critised for recently. we have won the last four, kept clean sheets in last two and gabby looks back to his best. so things are looking good after the dreadful first game

we have won the last four, kept clean sheets in last two and gabby looks back to his best. so things are looking good after the dreadful first game
Stop it with your optimism. That is not allowed here.

we have won the last four, kept clean sheets in last two and gabby looks back to his best. so things are looking good after the dreadful first game
Stop it with your optimism. That is not allowed here.

well at least not heavily promoted

Sorry but do we stop paying these players when they get dropped? No we don't. So while they're picking up their ridiculous pay-cheques I certainly f**king will expect decent performances from them when they're selected for the first team and if they do go out there and sulk until they're subbed I then expect them to be docked a weeks wages for being a word removed.