LC: Cardiff h 2009/09/23 Match Thread 19:45

limpid

I would play dunne and collins, let them continue their understanding of playing together. The faster they come to know each other instinctively, the better off we are. otherwise I would play nobody that started in the last three weeks. on the bench however, I would have friedel, Ash young, milner, carew, gabby. i'd let the fringe play, rest the starters, but keep the strongest bench possible in order to salvage the win if we're in trouble, late. but id don't think it's likely they'll be needed.

It wouldnt surprise me that if our reserve full backs are given a game they are both lackluster.

I mean whats the point?

They know they will be dropped regardless.

Shorey was impressive and doing just if not better job that Warnock has done since coming back, yet he was dropped for the new signing; just because he was the new signing!

He may be the lesser player but how are you meant to rotate and give people encouragement to play for their place when it doesn't happen!

The other side of the coin is this is an opportunity for him to win his place back, by proving that he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

True, but regardless of his performance tonight if he does indeed play. MON will still drop him imo.

I would include Delph, Gabby and Ash just to give Cardiff something to think about, if we don't include Gabby and Ash then the fear factor is considerably reduced IMO, they'll be bouyed by that, also agree with the comment about the CD partnership, include Delf, he needs to start making his mark now in important games.

Cardiff City goalkeeper Peter Enckelman says they must take the chance to regain confidence at big guns Aston Villa in the Carling Cup on Wednesday.

On Saturday the Bluebirds lost 2-0 to QPR in the Championship and Enckelman says there is pressure to bounce back.

"Villa's a very strong side and I know they're favourites, but we need to... make a game out of it," Enckelman said.

"If we can go there and compete then we'll have a lot more confidence going into the following league games."

Enckelman has been second choice to David Marshall this season and is expected to line up against his former club alongside colleagues also hoping to stake claims to regular places.

But the Finland international says it is more important they put in a good performance against the Premier League club and maintain a recent reputation as a good cup team.

Jones wants better from Cardiff

Enckelman said: "Going away to Villa - a very, very good team - it's going to be interesting, especially after our performance on Saturday, which I think everybody's agreed upon it was a lot below-par.

"Whoever plays it would be important, whoever plays we've still got to show that we can compete at this arena and at this level and for some players it might be a good chance to regain some confidence.

"If they feel low, for some players, it's a question of testing themselves against maybe better players.

"Whoever plays I'm sure everyone's going to want to put in a top-class performance after this weekend.

"Maybe nobody's expecting us to go there and get a result but, from our point of view, there's still quite a few lads here from when we went and beat Middlesbrough away in the [FA] Cup and drew against Arsenal at home last year."

Enckelman may have to face exciting 22-year-old striker Gabby Agbonlahor, who he is aware could be a big threat.

"I remember him as a lightning-quick lad and everyone was saying he was absolutely rapid and they were saying he's a very good prospect and that, but obviously he's turned out very good," Enckelman said.

606: DEBATE

Give your thoughts on Aston Villa v Cardiff City

The Finn will also be returning to the scene of a memorable, if embarrassing, moment in his career, kicking air instead of the ball to allow a back-pass into his own goal during a Villa derby against arch local rivals Birmingham.

"It's still on YouTube so nobody's ever going to forget it, are they?" said Enckelman. "So it's just one of those things.

"I laugh at it - I probably shouldn't say this, but I probably get a better reception at Birmingham than I do at Villa.

"But what can you do? It's just one of those things in football. You've just got to enjoy it while it lasts and just have a smile and enjoy it.

"I'm sure most of them [Villa fans] have got no ill-feelings. Some of them are probably still a bit upset about it, but at the end of the day it's one incident.

"I've played in front of them for a few years and for most of the time got a very good reception and I'm hoping for the same again."

Link

Well, I'll clap him.

It wouldnt surprise me that if our reserve full backs are given a game they are both lackluster.

I mean whats the point?

They know they will be dropped regardless.

Shorey was impressive and doing just if not better job that Warnock has done since coming back, yet he was dropped for the new signing; just because he was the new signing!

He may be the lesser player but how are you meant to rotate and give people encouragement to play for their place when it doesn't happen!

You can't honestly think that just because warnock was new he was picked? You can't ignore the fact that shorey was poor for the majority of last season, he spent £8 million on a left back so why stick with a player who has proven that he can't perform well enough week in and week out?

I think the team will be

..........................guzan.........................

cuellar......collins...........dunne........warnock

albrighton....delph........petrov..........milner

................carew............fonz....................

Shorey .... was dropped for the new signing; just because he was the new signing!

Got any evience of that Jez?

It's one hell of s staement to make, and an ill founded one, IMHO.

Maybe Shorey was dropped for Warnock because, get this, MON feels Warnock is a better player.

Shorey .... was dropped for the new signing; just because he was the new signing!

Got any evience of that Jez?

It's one hell of s staement to make, and an ill founded one, IMHO.

Maybe Shorey was dropped for Warnock because, get this, MON feels Warnock is a better player.

Exactly. Warnock was signed because MON wanted a better full-back than Shorey, ie someone who would be picked ahead of him.

He's a new signing because it is intended that he play - not that he plays because he's a new signing.

Cause and effect hopelessly muddled.

Reo-Coker left out of Villa squad

Nigel Reo-Coker has been left out of Villa’s squad to face Cardiff tonight.

Boss Martin O’Neill finalised his squad for the Carling Cup third-round clash earlier today, but it emerged this afternoon there was no place in it for the midfielder – fuelling speculation last week’s training-ground bust-up is still to be forgotten.

The feuding pair had to be separated by players at Bodymoor on Thursday and Reo-Coker was left out of Saturday’s squad for the visit of Portsmouth.

He returned to training on Monday and met with O’Neill, although the Villa boss has refused to shed any further light on their discussion.

O’Neill said: “I had a word with Nigel in private and that is how it is going to remain. I

“If Nigel and his associates want to divulge anything, that is entirely up to them. As far as I am concerned, that is the end of the issue.”

But Reo-Coker’s exclusion will be sure to raise further question marks over the former West Ham’s skipper’s future at Villa Park.

Meanwhile, O’Neill believes player power has rocketed since his distinguished days on the pitch and, speaking generally, he conceded the current generation of players now demand a greater say in club affairs.

He said: “The game has changed now. In my day, and days before that, players had no power. The club and the manager ran the show. That’s the way it was and nobody saw fit to change it. I felt at the time that players should have a better say but now it’s gone the other way.

“Players now at least want to believe they’re in charge of things, and there’s probably a great deal in that, so it has gone full circle. The reason it has is because of the money in the game.

“I believe if there’s a valid viewpoint, then you should listen to it, but if you’re spouting off just for the sake of things I’m not so sure that makes for easy listening.”

O’Neill revealed he would never take it for granted that the Villa dressing room are all behind him.

He added: “Are all the squad singing from the same song sheet? I would never take anything like that for granted at all. I certainly wouldn’t be foolish enough to believe that all the time.”

From todays express and star

Suppose we'll know for sure at around 730pm when the team's announced etc.

I thought this would be the perfect game for NRC to come back in.,,

strange decision from MON, IMO

How can you say that with confidence?

Unless you've been at the training ground these past few days, in which case share the beans.

who say's it's with confidence?

anyhooo, from my vantage as a fan form behind my pc at work, i thought that this game would be a great opportunity to put the matter to bed, to rest the likes of Petrov and gabby, and for the Coker and MON thing to be put into the past.

this just exacerbates it, IMO.

care to spill the beans on why you think this helps the MON/Coker situation? Unless of course you've been at the training ground these past few days ....

Well, I'll clap him.

And he'll deserve it. I think generally Villa fans show a lack of class to returning playes which I'd like to see change. Hearing McCann getting boos from a minority of Villa supporting was embarassing last season. Hopefully Enckelman gets a decent reception, everybody makes mistakes.

Reo-Coker left out of Villa squad

Nigel Reo-Coker has been left out of Villa’s squad to face Cardiff tonight.

Boss Martin O’Neill finalised his squad for the Carling Cup third-round clash earlier today, but it emerged this afternoon there was no place in it for the midfielder – fuelling speculation last week’s training-ground bust-up is still to be forgotten.

The feuding pair had to be separated by players at Bodymoor on Thursday and Reo-Coker was left out of Saturday’s squad for the visit of Portsmouth.

He returned to training on Monday and met with O’Neill, although the Villa boss has refused to shed any further light on their discussion.

O’Neill said: “I had a word with Nigel in private and that is how it is going to remain. I

“If Nigel and his associates want to divulge anything, that is entirely up to them. As far as I am concerned, that is the end of the issue.”

But Reo-Coker’s exclusion will be sure to raise further question marks over the former West Ham’s skipper’s future at Villa Park.

Meanwhile, O’Neill believes player power has rocketed since his distinguished days on the pitch and, speaking generally, he conceded the current generation of players now demand a greater say in club affairs.

He said: “The game has changed now. In my day, and days before that, players had no power. The club and the manager ran the show. That’s the way it was and nobody saw fit to change it. I felt at the time that players should have a better say but now it’s gone the other way.

“Players now at least want to believe they’re in charge of things, and there’s probably a great deal in that, so it has gone full circle. The reason it has is because of the money in the game.

“I believe if there’s a valid viewpoint, then you should listen to it, but if you’re spouting off just for the sake of things I’m not so sure that makes for easy listening.”

O’Neill revealed he would never take it for granted that the Villa dressing room are all behind him.

He added: “Are all the squad singing from the same song sheet? I would never take anything like that for granted at all. I certainly wouldn’t be foolish enough to believe that all the time.”

From todays express and star

Suppose we'll know for sure at around 730pm when the team's announced etc.

I thought this would be the perfect game for NRC to come back in.,,

As did I and I haven't given up hope.

They don't name the squad, there are no "quotes" about it just some re-hash of yesterday but they "know" NRC has been left out.

Strange or rumourmongering

Well, I'll clap him.

Same. He always gave it all. Let it under his foot at the sty (is that the incident they're refering to when they say it was here? Or the error in the home game, which wasn't as bad and let it basically get kicked out his hands?). Staunton was atrocious that night and he doesn't get the same stick. He'll get a round of applause from me, career ruined by one mistake, which isn't very fair.