PL: Fulham h 2009/08/30 Reactions & Ratings

limpid

What I don't like is that he went to 4-4-2 with the one substitution that he made.

Did we?

It looked to me like Milner moved into the middle and Gabby to the right. Infact, that is what happened.

This was the only down side to yesterday. When I saw that Carew was coming on I thought that it would be a straight swap for Gabby. When NRC's number flashed up (which was disappointing as he had a good game) I naturally assumed that we were switching to 4-4-2. To keep the same formation and put Gabby on the right, which in effect weakened our midfield, was a strange decision indeed.

Is is possible that Gabby was coming out, but MON changed his mind when he scored the goal? That was my impression.

Sting-

Hangeland...

Did you see how deep Fulham were, they didn't come off the edge of their own box till the last 5 minutes, of course when we cross the ball in he'll head most things away, he's always gonna do that at his size. However on the ground, did he make a significant tackle or interception? I can't remember one. He was also often outmuscled by Gabby when holding the ball up. Then I look at the organisation of their back four, for a supposed captain and centre point of their defensive unit, him and his teammates were all over the place at times, and we didn't even cause any significant threat like you said due to the lack of creativity we have. For example our 2nd goal the Fulham line was all over the place. I seriously don't get how Hangeland gets all the plaudits when Fulham are always that negative, well I guess I answered my own question there, it plays into his hands as a defence that deep and with such protection from midfield, it doesn't need the organisation of a defence like ours when we push players forward, it's also very easy to head and block everything away at his size. You said he has no bids, maybe there is a reason why, there are several clubs in need of a CB yet no-one has even made an approch to Fulham about him :o Yes you can say his touted price tag may put potential suitors off, however clubs still make enquiries. There have been a few whispers that Arsene Wenger looked at him like MON but had the same doubts about him coming into a side that plays a completley different system to Fulham.

'Davies4England,' you have made various excellent points why we shouldn't buy Hangeland and your post has certainly made me think. I guess it really depends on what system we are eventually going to play, when Downing is fit?

As far as Hangeland's size is concerned in relation to being able to head high balls away, was this not one of our weaknesses in the last third of last season when Laursen got his unfortunate injury? We still lack a commanding centreback, who can take responsibilty. The imminent signing of Dunne will probably solve this but i am very concerned about the amount of bookings and red cards Dunne receives and of course he is also prone to the odd calamitous mistake, especially in important games.

Totally respect your point of view though about Hangeland and you may indeed be right about him not being able to fit into our present system. However, if i had a choice between Dunne, Hangeland and Upson, Dunne would still be a distant third on my list due to the aforementioned reasons i have mentioned.

What I don't like is that he went to 4-4-2 with the one substitution that he made.

Did we?

It looked to me like Milner moved into the middle and Gabby to the right. Infact, that is what happened.

This was the only down side to yesterday. When I saw that Carew was coming on I thought that it would be a straight swap for Gabby. When NRC's number flashed up (which was disappointing as he had a good game) I naturally assumed that we were switching to 4-4-2. To keep the same formation and put Gabby on the right, which in effect weakened our midfield, was a strange decision indeed.

Is is possible that Gabby was coming out, but MON changed his mind when he scored the goal? That was my impression.

Yeah I had that thought too.

Anyone else noticed that a win and the ratings thread is 7 or 8 pages long.

The Wigan ratings was almost 20 pages...........

Rob mate, that's the nature of the game. It's the same on the Braves forum I follow, although they mean nothing like as much as the Villa (I mean, nowhere **** near) it does give some perspective.

It was a dire, dire performance (against Wigan). And as the General said, maybe we should start to expect to beat Fulham at home? I hope so....

• 2 weeks later...

Did we?

To come back to this, we definately continued in the 4-5-1. Gabby was wide right or left (switching with Ash) and Carew up front with Milner doing Reo-Coker's harrying in midfield.