PL: Fulham h 2009/08/30 Reactions & Ratings

limpid

Good win. Was delighted when I saw the team sheet and we were playing 4-5-1. Great stuff. Hope we'll stick with it now, and it looks like we will. I think it helped that Fulham were missing their 2 main strikers and had been to Russia and back in the week but you can only beat what's put in front of you and that's exactly what we did.

Friedel - 7 - Not alot to do but he did what he had to well

Beye - 7 - Solid, strong in the tackle

Cuellar - 8 - Composed in the air as well as on the floor

Clark - 8 - Curtis who? Bit harsh but a promising debut from the youngster

Shorey - 7 - Great going forward but a bit suspect defence wise

Milner - 7 - Troubled the Fulham back line all afternoon

Reo-Coker - 7 - Uncompromising performance from big NRC

Petrov - 7 - So calm under pressure, the key to the side

Sidwell - 6 - Didn't show enough for me

A.Young - 7 - Improved after MON gave him a free role

Gabby - 9 - The best he's played for months and a great finish for his goal

Sub:

Big JC - I love him...

Easy.

So very **** easy.

We were comfortable from start to finish, we could have played for another 90 minutes and they still wouldn't break us down. A great introduction from Clark and Cuellar looked all the better for it too. Oh that showing infact, I would say no matter who comes in the shirt is Clark's to lose.

Don't take it as though I'm blaming it all on Davies, because that's not the case. It's all about cohesion and we had a four out there today, despite the odd scary moment, who look like they get it.

We do lack that spark in the middle. I thought Sidwell had a good game, but in this system I would like to see what Delph can do because the boy can pick a pass.

Milner was outstanding again, the day that boy ever stops running is the day the world stops turning.

And props to Gabby, tireless performance and superb finish. Well done lad.

All in all, chuffed....

Don't take it as though I'm blaming it all on Davies, because that's not the case. It's all about cohesion and we had a four out there today, despite the odd scary moment, who look like they get it.

While I agree he looked good Fulham were missing their 2 first choice strikers and really didn't put up half the challenge some Premiership sides would. I thought up at Anfield that Cuellar and Davies were very solid together. More than Cuellar and Clark. But like I say, yes, promising debut, let's not expect too much too soon.

Good win. Was delighted when I saw the team sheet and we were playing 4-5-1. Great stuff. Hope we'll stick with it now, and it looks like we will. I think it helped that Fulham were missing their 2 main strikers and had been to Russia and back in the week but you can only beat what's put in front of you and that's exactly what we did.
If that was 4-5-1 we were playing, I'm a Dutchman (and I'm not).

**** relevance :-)

Tidy performance though - solid is the word I thought of, and have seen mentioned a few times already.

Great debut from the young lad at centre back

Cracking goal from Gabby - just what he needed.

I thought we looked comfortable and in control.

4-5-1 gave us dominance of the middle of the park; every time they had a bad touch we had the ball and we pressed them well when they had it.

We kept the ball really well today too and showed a great deal of patience from the back forwards.

What we sacrificed for all that control was a bit of presence in the box, often Young or Milner would get to the byline and struggle to find a target to aim for in the middle, personally I don't mind that to some extent given the control we had over the game.

A couple of people around me got frustrated with our less gung ho approach, but frankly I hope they get used to it.

I thought Ciaran Clark did brilliantly, he got great support from the crowd and looked comfortable right from the off; it was an accomplished debut which bodes extremely well for the young man.

Shorey had another solid game and Beye looked more settled if a little over adventurous, Cuellar looked more settled than for a while and is busily proving that me and a few thousand others might have misjudged him.

Sidwell, Petrov and Reo Coker looked good in midfield and Sidwell in particular did his defensive work very well and in the first half got forward very well too.

Young and Milner looked lively and Gabby showed signs of life. If we can get a bit more confidence back into him and put the snarl back on his face then we'll be able to score goals from this formation; the one he did get was very good indeed.

Overall, it's a good performance, dominating at Villa Park like we haven't for a time and not really looking threatened; more of that type of thing please.

The crowd on the other hand was very disappointing and we really do need to try to find some way to get the fans back to Villa Park.

Great to see Martin Laursen too and he looked absolutely delighted with his reception.

Three point and three wins on the bounce, can't be bad can it?

No? What was it then?

1st half it was more 4-4-1-1 with Young playing a free role. Gabby ended up on the left as much as Young

2nd half we reverted to a solid 4-5-1

No? What was it then?
Maybe one of these
.... and we do have the players to make 4-3-2-1, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 (call it what you will) work.

1st half it was more 4-4-1-1 with Young playing a free role. Gabby ended up on the left as much as Young

2nd half we reverted to a solid 4-5-1

It was definitely a variation of 4-5-1. The three attacking players (Gabby, Jimmy and Ash) swapped roles a lot that's true. But there were 5 midfielder's on the pitch from what I saw.

solid. Early goal was key.

Friedel 7

Beye 7- I did notice him creeping inside too often sometimes, as if he was naturally a centre half.

Shorey 7 - no defensive test, so he looked competent, tidy passing.

Clark 8 - good debut, great game for him to play really, got some touches, and confidence without being overly worked.

Cuellar 7- decent enough.

Milner 7- ran around well enough, but did lack a bit of spark I thought.

Petrov 6.5

Reo Coker 7

Young - 8 a welcome return to form, some good running, and was a threat, ball into boxes was more dangerous, even if some crosses were wasted.

Agbonlahor 8. MoM for the goal. Very well taken, and he'd been harrying and pressing all game. Well done Gab, more of the same please now.

MoN 8 - no complaints. Right side, got the job done.

This just proves how under-rated Sidwell is...

He doesn't really get noticed so I'm not suprised you've forget to mention him, but the work he does is priceless. He blocks off possible passes and forces opposition backwards. He's also very good at closing down play and giving them very little time on the ball. The balance we have in a 4-5-1 is perfect.

Fulham had key players missing and that contributed to how easy it was for us other than the excellence of our play. It probably was the worst Fulham performance i have seen for a season or two and thankfully, we took advantage.

Great to have won the game and maybe the penny has finally dropped, with O'Neill keeping the 4-5-1 system which suits the players we have at our disposal better. However, it is abundantly clear that we still need a more creative presence in midfield to stop our play being too one dimensional and against better teams, we will need this.

Both Cuellar and Clark impressed me, but they were up against a toothless Fulham and therefore, it was the ideal time for Clark to make his Premiership debut. Would have liked to have seen Delph replace Petrov for the last third of the game, just to see if he would have given us that extra creativity going forward through the middle, instead of us crossing the ball for Hangeland to clear all the time.

That leads me to my favourite centreback at the moment. Hangeland is an absolute monster at the back and according to Sky, Fulham have yet to receive a phone call about him yet. I hope O'Neill has had a quiet word in Roy Hodgson's ear about Hangeland coming to Villa Park. Would love to see Hangeland being paired with Cuellar, instead of Dunne, but that, unfortunately, doesn't seem like happening, although it is not a Dunne deal yet (sorry).

Overal, it was an average performance by us, devoid of any flair and this is why i think the attendances are starting to fall. Our football at the moment is very mechanical and we cannot provide that unexpected piece of skill to make all supporters come to our games. Is this the beginning of a worrying trend?

Martin, we love to watch our team winning games, but we also need a certain entertainment value that a few more creative players would bring. I hope you can provide that before the transfer window closes and a certain Mr Hangeland playing in a Villa shirt would also be nice!

Just got back to Leeds from the match, took my two daughters (4 and 5) to their first game and it was a resounding success (well done villa, £40 for 2 adults and 2 children!)

I taught them the John Carew song in the car, they were gutted he wasn't playing as I had built him up to be some sort of mythological demi-god they would be witnessing.

They were thrilled by his presence in the second half and loved the fact that the first thing he did was push one of their defenders over, and howled when that right back bounced of him and sprawled to the floor when he foolishly tried to shoulder charge him.

Anyway

Fridel-Easy afternoon in the office

Beye-Loooks very solid in defense, could do with a bit more drive going forward

Cuellar-Keep it going like that big man, your on your way to filling part of the hole left by Laursen if you do

Clarke-Maybe the reason MON wasn't quite as worried as some members of VT about our lack of CBs, it does seem strange that Lowery came on the past two matches and he started this one though, any ideas why?

Shorey-Playing well, and on form, but still backup at best if we are to progress

NRC-Not quite the display we saw at Anfield but effective and energetic

Sidwell-One of his best displays in a VIlla shirt, involved a lot more than usual, now if he could just get those headers on target.....

Petrov-Tidy and tireless in the midfield, if not spectacular

Milner-Industry, creativity, drive and commitment, I love you James

Young-Getting back to his best, you can see he is very close to doing something special at many points through the match, just needs a bit of luck and or confidence

Agbonlahor-Great goal, defending from the front and the ocacasional 'intelligent' run. Interesting what he can do when he is not completely exhausted from playing 2 seasons solidy 90 minutes of virtually every game, , maybe he isnt 'shit' after all.

Well done Martin, good choice of formation, good choice of players, I was worried he would not do certain things just though sheer bloody mindedness, but I was glad to be wrong

Fulham had key players missing and that contributed to how easy it was for us other than the excellence of our play. It probably was the worst Fulham performance i have seen for a season or two and thankfully, we took advantage.

Great to have won the game and maybe the penny has finally dropped, with O'Neill keeping the 4-5-1 system which suits the players we have at our disposal better. However, it is abundantly clear that we still need a more creative presence in midfield to stop our play being too one dimensional and against better teams, we will need this.

Both Cuellar and Clark impressed me, but they were up against a toothless Fulham and therefore, it was the ideal time for Clark to make his Premiership debut. Would have liked to have seen Delph replace Petrov for the last third of the game, just to see if he would have given us that extra creativity going forward through the middle, instead of us crossing the ball for Hangeland to clear all the time.

That leads me to my favourite centreback at the moment. Hangeland is an absolute monster at the back and according to Sky, Fulham have yet to receive a phone call about him yet. I hope O'Neill has had a quiet word in Roy Hodgson's ear about Hangeland coming to Villa Park. Would love to see Hangeland being paired with Cuellar, instead of Dunne, but that, unfortunately, doesn't seem like happening, although it is not a Dunne deal yet (sorry).

Overal, it was an average performance by us, devoid of any flair and this is why i think the attendances are starting to fall. Our football at the moment is very mechanical and we cannot provide that unexpected piece of skill to make all supporters come to our games. Is this the beginning of a worrying trend?

Martin, we love to watch our team winning games, but we also need a certain entertainment value that a few more creative players would bring. I hope you can provide that before the transfer window closes and a certain Mr Hangeland playing in a Villa shirt would also be nice!

Fulham had key players missing and that contributed to how easy it was for us other than the excellence of our play. It probably was the worst Fulham performance i have seen for a season or two and thankfully, we took advantage

Unlike us who had no one missing at all really...