PL: Fulham h 2009/08/30 Reactions & Ratings

limpid

Fulham were down a bit but credit for that should go to our forwards and midfielders who harried them every step of the way and pressured them into errors.

Gabby cops a lot of shit on this site for being lazy and, well, "shit" but tonight he was the opposite of both of those things. It was such a beautiful goal - are we sure he isn't a left footer? - it was sort of performance that could really kick-start his confidence and send him on a scoring spree.

Magnificent performance by the back four as well. Cuellar was just clinical and Clark flung himself at everything and was lucky not to cop a broken jaw getting in the way of one ball.

Nicky Shorey was also very good and it's clear the arrival of Warnock will push him out of his comfort zone.

Very happy with the performance, ecstatic with the 3 points.

Good win!

Positives:

*Three points

*Gabby scored a goal again

*Ciaran Clark, didnt put a foot wrong

*Cuellar, likewise didnt put a foot wrong

*A home win

*Milner great performance

Negatives:

*Gabbys shit performance (bar the goal)

*Our complete lack of movement

*Attendance

Good solid performances all round! Its nice to watch a Villa game and not be clenching the turd crimper for the last 15 minutes !!!

I think its also worth mentioning that this win was without Young, Warnock and Davies who will no doubt make up 75% of our back 4 this season.

Delph and Downing still to come, as well as any other new guys . Could be an interesting season!

Gabby was relentless in closing down their defence tonight and forcing them into numerous turnovers and dodgy balls. It amazes me that some suggest he was "shit" tonight apart from the goal.

Good result. Fulham were poor - lucky to hit them straight after a trip to Siberia (more or less ;) )

Controlled the game well, and they had no real chances. The early goal was important, otherwise that might have turned into a frustrating 0-0, as we didn't create much either.

Good strike by Gabby, should hopefully increase his confidence.

The team selected was the right one and it worked. Only slight quibble (and it is a minor one) is I thought we could've given Delph and Albrighton runs out in the last 20 mins, for Young/Agbonlahor, to give them a few more minutes in the league

Good solid performance, did what we had to do and won comfortably at a stroll, what I like to see. Clark impressed at the back, did his job to a good standard, Fulham didn't ask many questions but he looked solid enough when called upon.

Friedel - 6 - Didn't have anything to do.

Beye - 6 - Good solid, no mistakes not troubled

Cuellar - 7 - Mentored Clark well, some good challenges. Settling well in the centre of defence

Clark - 7 - Good debut. Solid. Did what was needed.

Shorey - 6 - Decent game nothing spectacular, not worried.

Milner - 7 - Worked tirelessly, good commitment, some nice touches.

Young - 6 - Not his best game, did enough, again nice touches.

Reo-Coker - 7 - Worked hard, some nice passes, did his job well.

Sidwell - 6 - Nothing spectacular, worked hard and well in the trio, more to come arriving in the box perfectly.

Petrov - 6 - Same as Reo-Coker, nothing spectacular.

Gabby - 8 - Did well for his goal, full of running, always an outlet, exactly what is needed from a lone striker.

Subs

Carew - 6 - Nothing much when he came on, won a few headers, bullied defenders.

Not a fantastic victory, but a solid one, and how we needed a solid win! So happy with this. Looks like we might be turning our form around again. Fulham were bad, but we couldn't do much more than what we did. I don't think they had one single shot on goal. Solid. And Cuellar and Clark looked better together than Cuellar and Davies. But it's still only one game.

Best things apart from the three points with this victory was Clarks debut and Gabbys first goal in a very long time. And the passings. Ok, against a bad Fulham but it was long ago I saw such an amount of good passings between Villa-players. Hope they can work more on this and make them good in the attacks too, not just to keep the ball.

Excellent goal from Gabby and, in the same move a reminder of how it was a good ides to move Mr Hughes on to pastures new.

Fulham were poor, thought we should have punished them more but I'm not arguing with a clean sheet, winning at a cruise and the return of Gabby to the score sheet!

An extra special mention for Ciaran Clark. He must be buzzing tonight - a very composed performance on his Premiership debut.

Solid performance, whole team contributed. We still had a couple of gears to go through if needed.

Oh, and I absolutely love James Milner. He represents everything I still enjoy about football.

Thought this would be a close game, was expecting a draw but we never looked like conceding. Tactics and selection were spot on today, when Carew came on I was thinking we would go 442 but was happy to see us keep the 451 which really suits the team we have.

Gabby looked great again today, looked like he was improving his all round game last season when he played up top on his own and looked like that player again today running into the channels and holding up well. Good finish as well with his weak foot.

Wouldn't have thought it was Clark's debut the way he played today. Confident performance but not a massive test at the same time as Fulham were poor in attack today. Looks a good prospect and wouldn't disappointed to see him 4th choice come the end of the window.

Friedel - 7

Beye - 7

Cuellar - 8

Clark - 7

Shorey - 8

Milner - 8

Sidwell -7

Petrov - 7

NRC - 8

Young - 7

Gabby - 8

Carew - 8

Delighted with the win.

Fulham were very poor and offered nothing, but it is clear 4-5-1 is the formation for us.

Clark did well, very pleasing debut. He was never really tested, but everything he had to do, he did well.

All in all a good day at the office.

Now bring on SHA!

fulham were pretty poor, but if theyd have been more adventurous i thought we'd be better on the counter

solid from us, everyone looked good, shorey upped his game a bit, clark looked more than comfortable and gaaby and ash looked like an england team gets named tonight

one moaing point, cos as a villa fan i feel its almost a necessity! we were in no danger at any real point so why not give marc albrighton 15 mins? or warnock a step out? especially when ash went down for his knee, game was over take him off

another plus from today? martin laursen was great in the studio, well spoken, knowledgeable and very very likable, id love to see him cover some games for sky

another plus from today? martin laursen was great in the studio, well spoken, knowledgeable and very very likable, id love to see him cover some games for sky

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see him and thought he was very good.

Great to see the reaction of the Holte when they spotted him as well :)

Out of interest how did Hangeland play? Did he impress?

Carew won every header from what I recall when he came on.

I thought this was going to be a really tough game today. We drew last season IIRC after being in the lead.

Didn't think we needed to get out of 2nd gear TBH because Fulham were poor and we tired them more and more by simply passing the ball and making them chase the game. Early goal helped, however I thought

Petrov, Cuellar & Gabby were outstanding.

Special mention to Ciaran Clark - great debut - didn't put a foot wrong and kept a clean sheet. Was great to see the whole team come over to congratulate him as soon as the final whistle went as well, particularly Petrov.. He must be very proud at 19! Did very well considering that was his PL debut.... Who said he wasn't ready??!!!

Special mention to the Holte for singing to Martin Laursen in the Sky box in the 2nd half. Must have been a good moment for him!

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see him and thought he was very good.

Great to see the reaction of the Holte when they spotted him as well :)

It was excellent to see Martin :notworthy: :notworthy:

The only bit I didn't like was when he said Villa couldn't make the top 4 this season and should aim for top 6. :(

We did what we had to do and not much else. Which is perfectly fine, and I'm delighted with the three points from a type of game we struggled to win last season.

Clark looked good indeed. Although he wasn't up against the most lively of oposition, he did everything he needed to do and he looked like he'd played in the Prem for a few years already.