PL: Portsmouth h 2009/09/19 Match Thread 15:00

limpid

• 3 weeks later...

This will be my first game of the season, thus excitment is tremendous!

I'd like to see 4-4-2 in this game, we have the capability to get a few goals. Also, with MON insinuating there will be more squad rotation this season, i'd like to see Delph get a full 90 minutes. Maybe take out the totally ineffectual Sidders?

However, in MON i trust!

Anything less than a resounding win is poor

yep.

this is a pompey side missing so many of it's former key players. And whilst James may have a blinder, he should not prevent us winning.

They've lost 5 in a row, there should be no sympathy in making that 6.

Anything less than a win will be awful.

Personally this is one of those games that last season we would have lost or drawn with an unspectacular display imo.

Hopefully we can establish ourselves a little more buy winning games like this.

Its certainly not easy, Pompey are shit at the moment but its the old cliche of no easy games in the premier league.

Delph possibly in for Sidwell, give him a rest..

We hardly ever seem to play too well against Pompey and results aren't all that marvellous.

We hardly ever seem to play too well against Fulham and results aren't all that marvellous.

We weren't spectacularly good against Fulham the other week but we beat them comfortably enough.

We have since added to our defensive strength. Birmingham did little to test it. Portsmouth are likely to do even less. I hope MON doesn't start with a 4-4-2 but if he does it may be excusable and understandable. I'd prefer him to do just what he did against small heath alliance - start with a 4-5-1 and change to 4-4-2 with another of those exquisitely-timed substitutions. For me ideally just the one change to the starting lineup: Delph for Sidwell. Pompey may have quite a job scoring.

Whoops, just realised Jez has said much the same.