PL: sha a 2009/09/13 Match Thread 12:00

limpid

Aston Villa defender Luke Young could return for the Birmingham derby after a spell on the sidelines.

The 30-year-old full-back has been out with a thigh problem and has also been recovering following the death of his half brother.

The former England defender was a regular performer in Villa's side last season, and Martin O'Neill believes he is returning to fitness after his spell of compassionate leave.

"Luke Young is improving his general fitness and feeling a bit stronger after his recent tragedy," the Villa boss said.

"I had a word with him and he said he is feeling a lot better. Physically he has got a bit of work to do but he is improving.

"Emotionally that is a different aspect altogether and that is something he will be able to tell you, but he is back here day to day.

"He will get an opportunity to take a day or two away any time he needs with our blessing. He needs as long as he needs. We will see. We will use this wee bit of time for him to reintegrate again."

Rivals

Villa are currently two points ahead of arch rivals Birmingham with a game in hand, and Young could be given a place in the team for the crunch game at St Andrew's on Sunday.

"Is the Birmingham game realistic for Luke Young?" O'Neill added. "I would say at this minute physically there is no reason why it shouldn't be.

"I know he has got a bit of work to do and it is frustrating for Luke from the physical aspect, almost being ready pre-season and then having to come out of games at a few hours' notice.

"That is something that is a new experience for him but overall he is getting there."

Link

I really hope he doesn't play otherwise I think a section of the SHA fans will sing songs about his brother.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MON really needs to keep Shorey at left back.

He has worked hard and played well the past few games, what does it show if he is dropped?

Its ok if you play well, but i'll still drop you for my favs as soon as they are available.

Warnock is the better player, but he doesn't just deserve to walk in.

i've got a feeling this will be the defence against blose.

Beye-Cuellar-Dunne-Warnock.

I think especially as Dunne has come back to Villa early and is not appearing in tommorow's friendly for Ireland, it'll give the defence abit of time to get used to each other in training.

The rest of my team would be:

Reo-Coker-Petrov-Sidwell

Milner----------------Young

----------Gabby-------------

Normally I would agree with you on that point Jez, Shorey did play well against Liverpool and Fulham and generally speaking I'm always in favour of players keeping their place based on form. In addition to that I'm not keen on the thought of 2 players out of our back 4 making a debut's in a derby.

However its not quite as simple as saying Shorey should play because there is also the issue of the fact he almost left the club a week or so ago, we have no idea what frame of mind he is in now. The window may be shut but the loan market opens next week and he might fancy a loan move to the Championship for regular football.

Blackburn said Shorey wasn't of the right mind to play for them when his move to us was in the offing and for all we know it could be the same with Shorey.

Lots of if's and but's here and only O'Neill is in a position to judge all the factors.

The best image from that game is when Gabby scores Mellberg is cloest to the goal (looking for the rebound) and you him celebrating. Totally awesome!

Never quite understood how Mellberg hated Blues so much, considering he was foreign and all, guess those first two derby games just got to him.

I'd imagine big Olof suffered a few sleepless nights after that first derby game at the Sty. After that, sticking it to Small Heath would have meant alot to him.

Normally I would agree with you on that point Jez, Shorey did play well against Liverpool and Fulham and generally speaking I'm always in favour of players keeping their place based on form. In addition to that I'm not keen on the thought of 2 players out of our back 4 making a debut's in a derby.

However its not quite as simple as saying Shorey should play because there is also the issue of the fact he almost left the club a week or so ago, we have no idea what frame of mind he is in now. The window may be shut but the loan market opens next week and he might fancy a loan move to the Championship for regular football.

Blackburn said Shorey wasn't of the right mind to play for them when his move to us was in the offing and for all we know it could be the same with Shorey.

Lots of if's and but's here and only O'Neill is in a position to judge all the factors.

Oh i agree if not in the right frame of mind thats different.

Sake of argument that had not of happened, i dont think a player should be dropped for a favourite; especially after they have done well.

I'm sorry but Shorey is crap. We cant spend 8 million on a left back and leave him out 2 games in a row. He has to play Sunday.

Friedel

Warnock

Beye

Dunne

Cuellar

Petrov

NRC

Milner

Young

Sidwell

Gabby

There aint no way we are going to lose to that shower of shit - trust me - no problems

Sake of argument that had not of happened, i dont think a player should be dropped for a favourite; especially after they have done well.

Question:

Hypotetical but i'll ask it anyway...

If we had signed Sneijder and he was fit for and ready for Sunday and had scored a hat trick for Holland in midweek. Would you keep Sidwell in or drop Sidwell and start Sneijder?

Shorey has done pretty well recently but I think he will be dropped after his near move to pompey.

If L Young's head is right then

Friedel

Young

Cuellar

Dunne

Warnock

NRC

Petrov

Sidwell

Milner

Gabby

Young

Subs:

Guzan

Collins

Beye

Delph

Albrighton

Carew

Heskey

I'm sorry but Shorey is crap.

I'm guessing its Shorey's fault if lets say Carew misses a sitter.

He's just a scapegoat, and it really pisses me off.

It might piss you off but i have never made him a scapegoat for anything - i have judged him on the games of football he has played for us and on balance i dont rate him and he wouldnt get into 12/13 teams in the premier in his position. He's not good enough. Warnock is a better footballer so its a no brainer to start with him as oppose to someone who travelled the 400 mile round trip to Pompey to turn down a move because he wasnt guarenteed first team football - pure madness on his part. Dont leave your best players sitting on the bench for big games like this - especially ones you paid a lot of money for

Dont leave your best players sitting on the bench for big games like this - especially ones you paid a lot of money for

This is supposed to be a squad.

I think if Shorey plays well enough he should hold the shirt, so that Warnock knows when he gets the chance he will need to play at his best level in order to keep his place

If Warnock knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

Has Shorey done enough in his last three games to warrant being dropped? No, he has played well, so being dropped would just be unfair on him and extremely demotivating

I'm sure Warnock will get his chance in time, but I think this isnt the right game

Question:

Hypotetical but i'll ask it anyway...

If we had signed Sneijder and he was fit for and ready for Sunday and had scored a hat trick for Holland in midweek. Would you keep Sidwell in or drop Sidwell and start Sneijder?

If Sidwell had been playing well yes! I dont care who the name is if a player has been playing well earning his place in the side then drop him because the name comes a long then its out of order and gives a cross the wrong impression.

So what if these name players get injured and the not so trendy player comes in, what incentive has he to play? Nothing, he knows even if he plays the best he will still be dropped.

Shorey has done very well recently taken our right sided corners we have scored from and done well at the back..

See PB's post...

This is supposed to be a squad.

I think if Shorey plays well enough he should hold the shirt, so that Warnock knows when he gets the chance he will need to play at his best level in order to keep his place

If Warnock knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

Has Shorey done enough in his last three games to warrant being dropped? No, he has played well, so being dropped would just be unfair on him and extremely demotivating

I'm sure Warnock will get his chance in time, but I think this isnt the right game

If Friedel knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

If Petrov knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

If Luke Young knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

If Jimmy Milner knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

If Asher Young knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

If Gabby knows he is always going to be selected when fit then whats the point in having a squad?

:lol: :winkold:

agree with all the rest of it though Pete. :P :winkold: