EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

tough one to mark i think.

at times we looked good, delph played some nice passes, milner was excellent for the most part, guzan did well too - we even scored a goal from open play too which is a first for this season.

on the flip side, we cant defend and to be honest if we had lost by three or four goals we couldnt have complained because vienna missed a few real sitters.

only time will tell if it is a damaging result for our season but on the whole i thought the players battled well despite the manager still not giving them the best chance of getting results because of his tactical approach and team selections.

I thought it was much better tonight than last week up until 75th minute.

I did think we should have changed the formation to 4-5-1

but blaming Heskey is not right...he made a decent contribution.

Thought Beye and Shorey both played well & Cuellar was a beast.

WTF was with Petrov's first touch? Shocking. Every time.

Disagree. I thought he looked tired towards the end and maybe should have come off, but he's a cool head under pressure and our captain after all.

Other than that, I thought outside Jimmy he was our best player on the pitch first half.

I can understand MON starting with 4-4-2 as we needed goals, but once we got them we had a few warnings before the goal but MON didn't react. Its simple 4-4-2 with Petrov in the middle and no NRC or any other defensive midfielder we struggle to defend. There is a big gap between out midfield 2 and out centre halfs, and when Rapid decided to attack us they got alot of joy. I just hope this kills 4-4-2 now, if it has its probably a good result.

The performance wasn't bad, but the result was. I can handle defeat in these circumstances, but I'm very disappointed to be out of Europe.

I hope we do not see Heskey and Carew paired together again. It's not a good partnership.

I am not having this buisness of now that we are out of europe we can do better in the league,That is what fulham are saying,It is a small time attitude.

I don`t expect us to get into the champs league and i don`t expect us to sign world cass players,But i do expect us to be able to compete properly in the europa league and the prem.

Proper clubs compete in europe and domesticly,Up until this point i ha ve defended o`neill to the hilt,But **** this now,He needs to sort his shit out in the transfer market big time.

It has cost us,We were lucky not to have lost 3-2 tonight,Our main chances came from ashley young throwing himself on the floor in the box.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS CLUB TO BE OUT OF THE SECOND TIER OF EUROPEAN FOOTBALL.

Tbh, it was an exciting game to watch. Im absolutely devasted but I think we performed well. Vienna are a good side.

I thought Shorey was really excellent tbh, fair play to him. Young, Milner, Delph, Davies, Cuellar. I dont think anyone did much wrong. MON should of bought on Reo-Coker for the lump that is Heskey.

We lost, im gutted, we're all gutted but we have alot of positives I think.

Okay:

Mon got it absolutely spot on in terms of tactics, especially in the early parts of the second half, I thought Heskey linking up, supplying the wide men and giving us an option with Carew playing the Number 9 role, in terms of the furtherst forward really worked out, we kept the ball, we were patient and we broke them down, we did the hard part.

NOW.

For me this is where Mon got it wrong, 5 minutes before Raping had a great chance around 66 minutes. O'Neill should of been alert, Reo-Coker, Gabby on, Petrov and Carew both off (for me the players most tired) and Gabby would of give us an outlet while Reo-Coker adds his work in the middle, another 10 minutes down the line, Heskey off for Sidwell/Gardner.

Emile Heskey:

So much unfair critiscm tonight, He brought people into the game and everytime the ball went into him, he kept it. He did the hard work so Carew could get in goalscoring areas more often, people seem to miss this, it's harsh, he kept the ball for us and rarely lost it, Carew scored but lost the ball countless times for us and gave away various free kick, at 2-0, he should of been subsituted, not Carew's fault, as I don't think he's 100% at all but O'Neills fault.

Heskey today was fine,

I don't think we can really fault the effort tonight, very impressed with Milner (as usual), Cuellar, Shorey, Young and Delph!

It's looking good for us, but unfortunately we can't get by defending for that long a time, as soon as we scored our 2nd we defended none stop until they scored. Have to give credit where credit is due, they put up a good performance tonight, very impressed with there one touch passing!

Now we have to have a good run in the cups, otherwise i think our season could drift into mid-table-ness!

Lets see what the new signings can do for our defence, there gonna have to come straight in after Davis's injury!

Look at the positives

- We won the game and stages played really well

- Carew took a while to get going but looked sharp

- We can play 4-4-2 and win game

- Some of the defending was really good

- Being out of Europe might help us in the league

- Young was back to how he played last season running at defences

The only negatives

- Davies Injury

- The way we played when we went 2 up it was a times to defensive.

- Young missed a penalty

The negatives are easily fixed there is no major problem like after the Wigan game with Warnock and Dunne our squad is good enough in terms of quality and numbers for a full tilt at the league.

I'm really happy now Rapid made it over Aston Villa, although no one in Austria believed in it, after we got you in this play off round.

Aston Villa was the far better team in this second leg and it's always great to see an English club play. The game is just a lot faster than what we Austrians are used to.

I think Ashley Young played really well and had his fun with our right defender Dober and put our whole defense in a lot of trouble. But somehow Rapid managed to get rid of these dangerous crosses.

But, although Aston Villa was the better team, Rapid had also a lot of opportunities. If you add up all the chances both teams had in both matches the overall score would be something like 6-4 for Rapid.

I hope you can make it to the Top 4 in the Premier League this season, so Aston Villa and Rapid can meet again in the Champions League. ;-)

PS: Oh, I don't want to be mean, but I just have to write this. This is the first time EVER that an Austrian team beat an English team in a European cup and advanced to the next round.

That's the first chance I've had to watch Villa this season, and based on reading this board over the last couple of weeks, was expecting much worse. Nowt wrong with the tactics, some good passing and movement. Young and Milner were great, thought Delph was good as was Shorey. Stan not so much, too many poor touches. Shame we're gone, but saw no reason for doom and gloom.

The performance was fine, the result is a death blow to the club.

What are we gonna do now without even the group stages ?

Only slightly over the top methinks.

I of course wanted us to win but found myself somewhat ambivalent at the final whistle. The EL involves too many games and I hate all the Thurs/Sunday fixtures. The reduction in games will help with the league and it will also mean we can play full strength teams in the domestic cups.

Defeat is never good but it's by no means the end of the world.

I thought we were pretty good, lots of positives. Most of the team can probably come out that with some pride. Beyond that... well we lost it about around the 75min and I'm not terribly sure why. We seemed to just stop playing football and reverted to hoofing more and more.

Particular praise for Milner, who was absolutely all over the place and always trying to make stuff happen, Cuellar who was once again a bit of a rock, Delph who's passing and forward drive were encouraging, and Young who looked to have got the spark back despite a few over hit crosses still.

I thought Beye was very good too.

You know, I've been very critical of the manager these past few weeks, but it was great to see us play a bit of possession football and keep the ball on the deck.

We won the game, it's hard to do any more than that. The reason we are out is down to the uninspiring performance last week.

forgot to mention shorey - he looked really handy going forward. i dont know if he is a bit more confident now or if he is just trying to sell himself now warnock has signed but it was about the best i've seen him play.