EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

Cuellar - not for me, caught facing wrong way for goal

Were we watching the same game? Cuellar played well throughout.

He was left high and dry by the goal by the fact that Delph let his man go.

Get a grip!!

can't agree , as soon Vienna upped the tempo , he floundered to me, to slow and error prone.

if CUellar hadnt of been playing the game would of been over a long time ago.

Sadly he was left high and dry by his team mates mainly Delph who failed to track hi sman who then created the goal.

Funny everyone else can see the problem here but yourself ?

I really lol,d when MON decided to make a sub after 81 minutes ? Why not in the 20 mins when they were running us out of the park as we decided to go defensive ?

Seriously poor management indeed

Meh

After the Moscow 'incident' I lost any real interest in this competition as obviously did most Villa fans judging by the very poor turn out at Villa Park tonight. It would have been nice to have got through but i'm not gonna go and slash my wrists about it.

Oh well, on wards and upwards :-)

The decision to play Heskey really does prove to me MON has his favourites.

To drop Reo after the way he played at vienna and Liverpool was disgusting especially for Delph who was at fault for the goal that sent us out and makes our midfield so lightweight with Petrov.

Really feel for Reo as it doesnt matter what he does.

As for Heskey another match where he done absolutely nothing for 81 minutes.

Utter Joke of a striker and should go and get some experience in the reserves or be sold.

I dont understand why the team was changed from Monday - it doesnt make sense

MY POINT EXACTLY MATE !

My Question for MON as for your now rediculous statement about villa fans.

Yeah Martin your right some of do play CHampionship Manager as you call it. Your dcecision to revert back to 4 - 4 - 2 after beating Liverpool with a 4 - 5 - 1 you reverted back to 4 - 4- 2 to play Heskey again ? Not being funny Martin but if a side beat Liverpool 3 - 1 at Anfield i,d keep the same squad and formation.

See my point or should i just go back to FOOTBALL MANAGER !

I agree the formation should have stayed the same but the players were correctly swapped around IMO. There is no point having a squad of players and not using them.

This was lost away in Vienna.. since then we have won two games. I refuse to join in the wailing and gnashing of teeth like some crazed harpie!

Back from the game and obviously disappointed to say the least. Blaming MON for the loss and his failure to bring on Reo-Coker, Sidwell or someone else to re-energize the midfield at 60 mins. Everyone in the ground could see the midfield was starting to struggle around 60 mins and yet he failed to bring anyone on, 10 minutes later they scored. Heskey was his usual, useless. Beye didn't exaclty have a great game either, but I'll give him a bit more time. Milner was my man of the match closely followed by an impressive Delph, hes looking a very good buy.

we were fine for 60 odd minutes, looked solid and passing it around decent. but as soon as we got the second rapid upped the tempo knowing they had to score. but by this time petrov and delph were getting tired- stans had no preseason and delph is still a youngster.

everybody could see they were struggling, everyone could see rapid walking through the midfield with ease, everyone but MON that is. subs needed to be made- get on NRC or sidwell, even both, get some energy back into the midfield. im convinced that if this had happened we would have been fine. but as usual MON leaves it too late, you think he would have heeded the warning when they missed that absolute sitter.

i dont think anyone played badly, and i was very impressed by delph- hes fast, he wants the ball, he can pass it well and hes got some brilliant skill, there was that great run in the first half and the one in the second where the keeper had to make a good save.

imo, the players were let down by MONs stubborness and refusal to change things when it was so clear they needed to be. very very disappointed

I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like we played OK. At least MON gave it an effort rather than sending out reserves and now we won't have the excuse of being tired as we concentrate on English cups and the top four. I think things are headed in the right direction now.

The decision to play Heskey really does prove to me MON has his favourites.

To drop Reo after the way he played at vienna and Liverpool was disgusting especially for Delph who was at fault for the goal that sent us out and makes our midfield so lightweight with Petrov.

Really feel for Reo as it doesnt matter what he does.

As for Heskey another match where he done absolutely nothing for 81 minutes.

Utter Joke of a striker and should go and get some experience in the reserves or be sold.

Delph was the only player we had who can pick a pass. His passes to Ashley put him in the clear for two penalties. For a young player 2 games into his Villa career, I am willing to cut him some slack.

Should have gone 4-5-1 after about 70 mins, take off the totally ineffective but would be worth 80 million euros if waving your arms around shouting a lot and passing sideways won football matches petrov and heskey, bringing on the what have i done to upset MON twins sidders and NRC... Poor Management.... Again... MON is Blind.... and Stubborn....

GIVE UP!!! 4-4-2 with Stan DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!

F*ck sake.

It's fustrating, I saw a contribution from Heskey tonight, he brought others into the game well and let Carew play on the last shoulder.

When I played football, a player we had upfront scored 6 goals but was one of our key assets and he completly reminds me of Heskey, he missed some chances yeah, but he was so key to the team and people don't see the contributions at times unless your playing with him.

I thought he was good tonight, HOWEVER he has been poor in many games for Villa.

I dont understand why the team was changed from Monday - it doesnt make sense

Its called Squad rotation

I can understand squad rotation. What I don't understand is the formation change. NRC should have been playing from the start instead of Heskey. We would have protected our defence better, kept more of the ball, still had the outlets of Milner and Young on the wings, still had the long ball option of Carew, and been less suspect to the counter-attack.

Didn't make sense to go back to 4-4-2.

Heskey was rubbish, seriously bad. His contribution was a couple of decent 5 yard passes here and there. CM was too lightweight as well. MON got it right but then should have taken Delph and Heskey off and gone 4-5-1. He seemed to be reactive rather than proactive tonight. Defence was ok but really they should have scored three easily which has to be questionned.

Thats the European dream over for another year. Gutted.

Team played OK, but Heskey really isn't fit to wear the shirt, ship him out ASAP.

Absolutely agree, our record since he joined cannot be a coincidence he missed good chances again tonight. We should do a buy one get one free offer and sell heskey and Harewood as a package