Quick Poll : what kind of supporter/fan are you ?

pamparius

what kind of supporter/fan are you ?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. what kind of supporter/fan are you ?

• season ticket holder
    • regular match attender, say 12+ a season
    • go maybe 5 times a season
    • don't go at all, bit of an armchair fan

I ticked season ticket holder but I'm sitting in the Centenary Lounge this year. Same difference but you get a meal and a place to sit and have a quiet half time drink. Mind you there is also some heavy duty marine corp training to do getting from the seating area to the lounge at half time, with every man and their dog (and wife) on the North Stand concourse.

I am a very occasional away game follower. I saw us lose our unbeaten run at Highfield Road and the next away game I took in, 20 years (?!) later, was at the Emirates two seasons ago. Couldn't see a damn thing but enjoyed the banter and atmosphere. Would like to see more away games but I have a very demanding job and often work evenings and weekends.

Somewhere between options 2 and 3 and although I suppose it's a valid question I do not see the reason for it. Whether you support the team whilst riding a unicycle around the local park listening to the game on some over marketed phone or attend every match you can still be a 'proper' fan.

Same goes for those who believe that those attending have a greater voice or 'better' opinion. There are certain things you pick up at the game that cannot be picked up at a match and vice versa via TV replays at the time, however, the opinions and right to express remain the same.

Depends, in the 07-08 season, I was a regular attender, around 10/11 home matches, but I was only 15, so money at times was abit of a problem.

Last year, made about 6 home games and 1 away game as not many of my mates would come with me and didn't want to go by myself!

This year, I went to Wigan and going on thursday, hoping to make 10-12 home games and 1, maybe 2 away games!

Notice quite a few supporters giving reasons for or nearly apologising for not going. To me, its irrelevant. Geographical, financial, and logistical reasons for not going have no reflection on being a fan. Sit anywhere in Villa Park on match day and you'll meet some fans that couldn't name the players sat on the bench, who don't know the result of the last away game, who can walk out of an embarasing defeat with a big smile on their face.

All that matters is how much the club means to you. True fans would have felt sick/angry/depressed on Saturday and would have been buzzing last night. Some of us are negative and worry, some of us are defiant in our support for everything the club does, doesn't matter or effect how much of a fan you are.

Hopefully on this site we're all fans who bleed claret and blue and show it in many different ways, doesn't mean we'll agree on everything, doesn't mean we won't argue, but it does mean that when win it makes our whole life so much better.

Notice quite a few supporters giving reasons for or nearly apologising for not going. To me, its irrelevant. Geographical, financial, and logistical reasons for not going have no reflection on being a fan. Sit anywhere in Villa Park on match day and you'll meet some fans that couldn't name the players sat on the bench, who don't know the result of the last away game, who can walk out of an embarasing defeat with a big smile on their face.

All that matters is how much the club means to you. True fans would have felt sick/angry/depressed on Saturday and would have been buzzing last night. Some of us are negative and worry, some of us are defiant in our support for everything the club does, doesn't matter or effect how much of a fan you are.

Hopefully on this site we're all fans who bleed claret and blue and show it in many different ways, doesn't mean we'll agree on everything, doesn't mean we won't argue, but it does mean that when win it makes our whole life so much better.

Great post and bloody hell didn't last night make today so much better?

Best post i've read on here for a while.

For the record... STH for around 14 years and do about 5-10 away games a season depending on money.

The way I always view the scenario is by differing between fans and supporters.

A fan is as suggested - fanatical. In my opinion, that doesn't mean that you have to go to every game, buy every piece of merchandise possibly available, or collect a program for every game every season. My interpretation is that you are a fan because you will at least know the fixtures coming up and those just gone, read or post on forums because you have a keen interest in affairs on and off the field, make a point of knowing your score either in real time or as soon as possible if you are not there (for instance I landed from Thailand on Monday and before ringing my family to tell them I was safe I checked the half time score - I was pleased I did) and generally being able to hold down a conversation with fans of other clubs knowing what you are on about.

A supporter in my view is someone who who just doesn't care as much as that. They don't talk pre and post game in the run up to a fixture, they know of the fixture on or near the day (sometimes) and may look for the score but it isn't that important. They do and don't attend games but that could apply to a fan too. And in the main they can't tell you anything about the team, the club, the current, recent or potential happenings, they struggle to name a team sheet or predict one etc.

I don't use this system to pidgeon hole people as you can easily cross borders or tick boxes in each, but I know I am a fan and claim to be a fan. I do however like to remind supporters that they are supporters when they try to talk to football to me (Villa or otherwise) and fail remarkably. It reminds me that I care and that is a big difference.

The way I always view the scenario is by differing between fans and supporters.

A fan is as suggested - fanatical. In my opinion, that doesn't mean that you have to go to every game, buy every piece of merchandise possibly available, or collect a program for every game every season. My interpretation is that you are a fan because you will at least know the fixtures coming up and those just gone, read or post on forums because you have a keen interest in affairs on and off the field, make a point of knowing your score either in real time or as soon as possible if you are not there (for instance I landed from Thailand on Monday and before ringing my family to tell them I was safe I checked the half time score - I was pleased I did) and generally being able to hold down a conversation with fans of other clubs knowing what you are on about.

A supporter in my view is someone who who just doesn't care as much as that. They don't talk pre and post game in the run up to a fixture, they know of the fixture on or near the day (sometimes) and may look for the score but it isn't that important. They do and don't attend games but that could apply to a fan too. And in the main they can't tell you anything about the team, the club, the current, recent or potential happenings, they struggle to name a team sheet or predict one etc.

I don't use this system to pidgeon hole people as you can easily cross borders or tick boxes in each, but I know I am a fan and claim to be a fan. I do however like to remind supporters that they are supporters when they try to talk to football to me (Villa or otherwise) and fail remarkably. It reminds me that I care and that is a big difference.

Two excellent posts and the reason why I spend so much time on this site is because of posts like these and not those who insist on going 'as a Season Ticket holder' as if it gives them greater rights to have an opinion. I know fans (using Bully's definition) who hurt far more after a defeat than STers despite them only attending occasionally if at all during a season.

Had a season ticket for five years, but a combination of parenthood and working odd shifts including 1 in 2 Saturdays, 1 in 3 Sundays and lates every second week (so I am at work during evening kick offs) means its very difficult to organise my life around getting to every game.

Ill try to go at least once a month though.

Get to as many games that I can afford/physically get to. For recent seasons thats been 2-3 games. This season hopefully alot more. Generally I'd class myself as a 5+ match attender.

Never had a season ticket, but would love to one day.

Here's another good question. Who is geographically the furthest away season ticket holder at VP?

Â