4-5-1 from now on??

jackso55

4-5-1 or 4-4-2??  

145 members have voted

1. 1. 4-5-1 or 4-4-2??

• 4-5-1
    • 4-4-2

It'd be nice to play 4-4-2 in certain circumstances and against certain teams, but we don't have the players to make it work and we do have the players to make 4-3-2-1, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 (call it what you will) work.

These days when I see that MON has gone for 4-4-2 against whoever, home or away, my hopes disappear, and I prepare to curse MON.

When he starts with a 4-5-1 or similar I think thank you MON and if we don't get a result it won't be your fault. But... we probably will get a result. Like against Fulham today. Fingers crossed.

People worry about the 4-5-1 being not 'offensive enough for us to play at home to break teams down but clearly I don't see this as an issue.

Especially shown today against another team who played a 4-5-1, we can carve out good chances from open play with our formation. I just wish our defence(Cuellar in particular) had a bit more balls to play less square passes.

And it's very annoying when we pass the ball all the way back down the pitch from good attacking positions. If our players had that little bit more confidence in their passing game we'd be very much better.

The only thing I'd say about 4-5-1 is that Villa desperately need a player in the centre of midfield who will weigh in with 10 to 15 goals a season. And, maybe, we also need a more creative player in there than either NRC or Sidwell, who were both very good today against Fulham.

The only thing I'd say about 4-5-1 is that Villa desperately need a player in the centre of midfield who will weigh in with 10 to 15 goals a season. And, maybe, we also need a more creative player in there than either NRC or Sidwell, who were both very good today against Fulham.

sidwell should be tht person, he isnt for what ever reason so if we dont get any decent midfielders from now until the window closes ( mistake if that happens) then when we are in a commanding position we should start introducing delph into matches.

hopefuly we will get someone like VDV, not many times there are top quality players available at decent prices where money and champions league ar not the top priority.

sidwell should be tht person, he isnt for what ever reason so if we dont get any decent midfielders from now until the window closes ( mistake if that happens) then when we are in a commanding position we should start introducing delph into matches.

hopefuly we will get someone like VDV, not many times there are top quality players available at decent prices where money and champions league ar not the top priority.

I think you're right about VDV but, due to MON's reluctance to buy from foreign shores, I just can't see it happening. I think we may go for a Krankjaer or a Jenas before a VDV. The thing about Sidwell not scoring the goals he should, simple, he plays too deep to join up with Gabby/ Carew that quickly. One good attempt today but he needs to get forward much quicker.

Actually as it stands right now we might want to consider

Young - Warnock - Petrov - NRC - Milner

as our 5 man-midfield.

I say this because Warnock can be an additional option on the left, which takes the burden off Gabby from drifting out left all the time, and instead focus more on attacking the ball in the box, because Gabby does have good heading.

i'd guess we'll play 4-5-1 for a lot of games this season, we may change personel game by game though

we should pick and choose game by game. nobody should be guaranteed a start anymore, its a squad game and we have to use our options

as our 5 man-midfield.

I say this because Warnock can be an additional option on the left, which takes the burden off Gabby from drifting out left all the time, and instead focus more on attacking the ball in the box, because Gabby does have good heading.

change warnock to shorey

I also think Delph in for Petrov would also allow us to get more support up front quicker.

I agree, but not from the start and to be honest I reckon it would be either NRC or Sidwell who would make way

as our 5 man-midfield.

change warnock to shorey

and then Shorey for Delph. he has a sweet left foot and plays with freedom

right now, I'd go 4-5-1, probably with Carew up top, NRC, Petrov and Sidwell in midfield with Milner and Young out wide. Once Downing gets back, I'd like to see 4-2-3-1, with NRC and Petrov in the middle, Downing and Milner out wide with Young in a free role behind Carew or Gabby (as Young does work very well with Gabby).

Throw Van Der Vaart in there instead of Petrov and I don't think top 4 is a million miles away.

Today should have been 4-4-2, no real need for NRC today as he showed by doing very little (not his fault, just no need for him today)

I wouldn't bother going back to 4-4-2 until a replacement for Barry is signed.

We'd play Petrov and one of Delph/Reo-Coker/Sidwell, far too lightweight. We saw that towards the end of last season and the start of this. Although the football isn't the best to watch, we're far more solid. It also allows us to provide our back four with some protection.

So unless we sign someone like Van Der Vaart between now and close of the window, 4-5-1 for me.

I like having Reo-Coker in the side aswell. Although he's not the most gifted, I think his presence gives the other players a lift. Although he's not the captain, he's a leader, show's loads of passion and enthusiasm, which is exactly what we've need over the last few weeks.

I think he works well with Sidwell and Petrov in the middle.

This.

------------NRC--------Petrov-------------

Milner-----VDV/Sidwell/Delph-----Young

For me.

EDIT: Or even....

------------NRC--------Petrov-------------

Milner---------Downing-----------Young

I thought all three in the middle played well today, and sorry Bicks i have to disagree. I think NRC helped make the game look comfortable as we kept Fulham out of harms way. If he hadn`t played i think they would have had a bit more joy through the middle against us. It probably is true however that we need someone with a bit more quality to play in there and weigh in with goals especially if we play the better teams.

Â