4-5-1 from now on??

jackso55

4-5-1 or 4-4-2??  

145 members have voted

1. 1. 4-5-1 or 4-4-2??

• 4-5-1
    • 4-4-2

How simple this game is , get the right formation for the game, play the right player's in their best position's, bit of motivation in there and hey presto. This is what any fan wanted, your team playing to win and showing passion. Well done the villa boy's.

WE look so much stronger as a 4-5-1 unit.

When we play 4-4-2 with 2 out ant out wingers it seems to leave the centre exposed.

With 3 there breaking up play there always seems to be a pass and the front 3 can move around creating damage.

this is much stronger and we should stick with it.

when we played 4-4-2 with reo coke on the right we really played with 3 in the middle as he used to drift in anyway.

Really proud last night.

Assuming Dunne arrives I would play the following team away from home (4-5-1):

Friedal

L. Young

Cuellar

Dunne

Warnock

Milner

Reo-Coker

Petrov

Sidwell

A. Young

Carew or Agbonlahor (can't decide between them)

At home I would play 4-4-2:

Same as above except drop Petrov and add either Carew or Agbonlahor

i agree to some extent i would always play 442 given good midfielders, but our midfielders just arent good enough to get away with just 2 players in there - we have been dominated in centre midfield every time we have played 442 for ages

id prefer 2 upfront at home, but weve got to play 451 away definatly. to make the 442 with 2 wingers work though i think you need NRC in there, hes got the pace, energy and tackling to stop us getting overun in midfield. worked ok the season before last when he played there.

theres also the 4312 we played when we beat bolton, blues derby etc scoring loads- we had Petrov,NRC and Barry with ash floating infront of them, and carew and gabby upfront. just replace barry with milner. would give more solidarity in the middle, stop ash getting easily marked out the game and gives us the 2 strikers. you probably wouldnt play this against teams with good wingers though.

we also got turned over and outplayed by wigan in a 442 at home but got a battling victory away to liverpool with a 451

Yep, so clearly it is not a simple argument that one formation works and the other doesn't. Which is the point I was getting at.

Horses for courses and all that..

our results over the last year have been far better in a 451 than a 442 and our personnel are a lot more suited to 451 so i would say that formation suits us a lot better

and 451 away in vienna involved heskey upfront on his own, so it was effectively 460 formation.

451 is better for us, but only if you dont end up with heskey on the field

If we play 4-4-2 NRC is a must because he has the legs to do the work. In fact Petrov IMO is the worst player we have to play in a 4-4-2 he's simply not mobile enough. But most teams these days flood the midfield and teams that play 4 against the 5 struggle unless they have some great players.

If we play 4-4-2 NRC is a must because he has the legs to do the work. In fact Petrov IMO is the worst player we have to play in a 4-4-2 he's simply not mobile enough. But most teams these days flood the midfield and teams that play 4 against the 5 struggle unless they have some great players.

exactly, which is why we cant play with 2 centre midfielders in the middle as we dont have great players.

442 worked a couple of years back cus either petrov or nrc normally played on the right, but they always drifted in and were very narrow so it was pretty much three in centre midfield anyway most of the time

milner hugs the touchline, so even tho he does track back well, he does not ease problems in the centre

Â