PL: Liverpool a 2009/08/24 Ratings and Reactions

LancsVillan

Still buzzing about this. The Brummie reds were keeping their heads down at work today.

I can finally scratch Liverpool from my 'about bloody time we beat' list. Manyoo next please.

Brilliant, brilliant signature, Julie!
I agree, it's brilliant. Although the pedant in me notices the date is wrong.

Same here.

I don't usually rub it in to any of my mates who support the opposition when Villa win, but had to send a cheeky one to a Liverpool-supporting comrade. He'd arrogantly said before the game that the best I could expect was a draw because it's at Anfield, possibly unless Ayala or the Greek guy played in defence.

Ha.

Villa highest rated PL winners in US history

Earlier today I wrote a post breaking the news that ESPN had garnered the highest ratings for a Premier League game in US history with a viewing audience of 374,799 for last weekend’s Wigan against Manchester United broadcast. Well, I spoke too soon. That record has now been smashed by Monday’s TV ratings for ESPN2’s coverage of Liverpool against Aston Villa.

According to an ESPN spokesperson, the broadcast of Liverpool against Aston Villa garnered a rating of 0.3. The 3pm ET game was viewed in 339,696 TV households, and the total viewing audience was 398,391. That’s just 1,609 viewers short of the 400k mark.

The incredible ratings for the first three Premier League games aired on ESPN2 reflect an average viewing audience of 312,558 – which is quite impressive based on the last-minute acquisition of the TV rights (just 12 hours before the Chelsea against Hull game kicked off) and relatively little advertising and word of mouth exposure. In comparison, the average rating for a Premier League game shown on Fox Soccer Channel last season was 90,000.

Considering that we played fairly attractive, exciting football and slew Goliath, if we can keep up the form until the next ESPN game in the US (which is a couple of weeks away), Villa may be getting a ton of US fans soon.