EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Match Thread

limpid

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now even more excited about the match on Thursday.

After Rapid won against Aston Villa last Thursday the spirit and confidence came back to their players and today Rapid Vienna won 4-1 in the league match against LASK Linz.

The defensive players were their biggest problems in the last few months (that's why we lost some important games and therefore didn't win the title last season). But now they've really gained some confidence and make a rock solid performance back there.

LASK had already made 14 goals in 4 games this season, but they were no threat in this match. Their only goal was made out of an offside position, but nobody really cared.

Rapid scored all four goals within the first 30 minutes and then pulled back to keep some energy for the game on Thursday against Villa.

Today, in the stadium was also anounced that about 1200-1300 Rapid fans will be in VillaPark, so it will be really loud and they will try to support Rapid as much as they can.

But don't get me wrong. Villa is still the superior team and I can expect that these 90 minutes will be very tough to overcome.

I just have to say it again, that I'm really excited.

Well I will be watching AS Roma taking on MFK Kosice but my mind will be very much on the Villa game.

We will have to perform well under pressure because of our recent doubters but we are more than capable of turning Rapid over and it would be great allround if this was the outcome. We are a better team and we just need to believe it.

their fans were amazing hopefully our lot will be well up for it and actually be positive for once, but IMO if we arent winning after 20 mins it'll go sour, quiet but for the moans and groans and it'll get the team down and we'll go out 1-1 on the night :( if the fans get behind the team we'll win 3-0 IMO

after winning at liverpool, confidence should not be a problem

but I wonder how they'll be feeling after putting in so much effort.

I dont want to use the 'tired' excuse so early in the season but

I'd be suprised if some of the players aren't feeling the strain in their legs right now.

the other question is ...... what formation?

we need to score at least 2 so can see the advantage in an extra striker in a 4-4-2,

if the extra striker is carew. (if its heskey stick with 4-5-1 :-))

the problem I see with 4-5-1 is that its fine for when we are being attacked and can

counter but rapid dont have to attack.

mind you, rapid have been scoring a few, so might try it on early in the game.

I think i'd play 4-5-1, for at least the first half, throwing the extra striker on

if we still need the goals. If we can boss midfield, we should create chances.

then again, i'll probably change my mind in the next few minutes!!

I'd be tempted to make two changes: give Guzan another run out and put in Delph for Sidwell or Petrov, as he'll be fresher and perhaps more likely to get forward and score.

I guess there may be slight question over Young as he went off with a knock. Albrighton the obvious replacement if he's struggling.

Reckon O'Neill will go back to Heskey-Agbonlahor as we're chasing the game.

Aston Villa: Ashley Young in fitness battle for Vienna game

Aug 25 2009 by Mathew Kendrick, Birmingham Mail

Add a comment

Recommend

Ashley Young

ASHLEY Young is determined to win his fitness race to shoot down Rapid Vienna after opening his goal account for the season at Anfield.

Young’s clinical penalty sealed a 3-1 victory for Villa and the winger is also keen to claim the first goal after his free kick was deflected in.

“I’ve just twisted my knee slightly in the clash with Jamie Carragher,” said Young.

“It shouldn’t be too much and I should be okay for Thursday, we’ll just have to see how it is.

“I was just taken off as a precaution because it was causing me a bit of pain.

“I tried to come back on but it was still a bit sore and I’m sure it’s going to be sore up until Thursday but we’ll see how it goes.”

Young believes team spirit was responsible for the victory over Liverpool which kick-started Villa’s season.

“We always had a game-plan coming into the game to get in there faces and not let them play,” he said.

“I think we did that really well and then we got the goal. I’m trying to claim it, it was on target and I think the goals panel will try to give it to me anyway.

“But, seriously, I’m not concerned about that really.

“I’m just delighted with the three points. As a team you don’t want to start with two losses, but we’ve always got a good team spirit and the character to bounce back from disappointments.

“To come to a place like Anfield and win in the way that we did was brilliant for the team. I think this will make us start our season now.”

Ash a doubt? clickme

If he's got a knock, i'd personally rest him and bring in Albrighton - I know the game is of high importance but I wouldn't want Young to aggravate an injury, which could lead to a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

I'd rather have him definately back for Fulham