EL: Rapid Vienna (a) - Ratings and reactions.

OutByEaster?

I thought Beye put some good tackles in, Shorey as always was shit, he just gives the ball back to them and leaves us open to counter attacks, which is where our defence is most frail. Hesky is a useless piece of crap whoes got as much strength as a 6year old girl

Am typing this from my hotel in Vienna. All I can say is that it's a good job Vienna's a great place or I'd be even more annoyed than I am now.

Ratings:

Guzan-7 Couldn't do anything about the goal, made a good save with his feet.

Beye-6- Did his job reasonably well

Cuellar-6- Still think with the right player beside him he'd do well

Davies-4- Never been sure about him and playing him while injured is madness

Shorey-6- Actually had a few good touches, was surprised

Milner-5- Really didn't impact on the game

NRC-7- Seemed to be the only one with any urgency

Sidwell-4-Game passed him by, again.

Gardner-3- Yet more proof he's just not up to it. Need to cut our losses with him because he's nowhere near the standard of player we require

Young-5- Improved slightly in the second half but still didn't look anything like his best

Heskey-4- If we're playing with 1 up front, we at least need that player to hold the ball up.

Just a word about the Rapid fans, the stuff they do there is great, was hugely impressed. Just a shame that travelling back to my hotel was so unpleasant. Twice I was spat... wasn't much fun to say the least.

After a nights sleep my thoughts are pretty much the same - a lot of endeavor but no end product....

I still can't get over the first goal, the coverage still isn't good enough to confirm whether Davies was pushed or slipped over - even so, it was a shocking start, knocking us out of stride.

We played well in parts and retained the ball with some nice movement, however we still didn't create enough chances.

To be honest the referee didn't give us anything last night either but that's no excuse.

MON has a lot to do now - esp if Davies' injury will require him having a break. I've always backed MON but that faith is beginning to look frayed around the edges now :shock:

And the whole Carew injury - even being an optimist, I can't help but think there's more to it and he's off.

My ratings:

Guzan. 7 - did all he could

Beye. 6 - still settling in but showed he likes to get forward

Cuellar. 6.5 - Did well put in some good challenges

Davies. 6 - slip or push? didn't lose his head but lost his position several times.

Shorey. 6.5 - A decent game for the LB, worked hard and got forward.

Milner. 7 - ok his end product was unusually off but his work ethic and effort was brilliant.

Garnder. 5 - not at the races, didn't contribute much.

NRC. 7 - tried his hardest and to inspire the team

Sidwell. 6.5 - At times very good direct running, the rest - anonymous

Young. 6 - showed glimpses (but only glimpses)

Heskey. 6 - as Young

Subs:

Gabby. 6 - looked bright when he came on

Lowry. 6 - didn't have much to do.

Didn't see it as I was driving home from Oxford, could only get the updates from Talksport.

Their opinion (Nigel Pearson) was that other than the "caught off guard early goal" we competed and deserved a draw

Not happy but certain we can and will recover

On the positive side: We more or less competed. They couldnt just walk through the midfield like Wigan did. We should really be out on the balance of this match, but still have a chance albeit a small one) of getting through. Need to keep a clean sheet at VP

On the negative side: We never looked like we had a goal in us. 4-5-1 didnt work. Putting NRC and Sidwell didnt provide the platform it should have. Confidence is very, very low

Guzan: 6. No chance with the goal, nice couple of saves second half

Beye : 3. Seems to be a bit of a pub player. Good with the ball at his feet, good when he is the right position, but he needs to learn he isnt a central defender, he's a right back. He continually gets sucked into the middle and everything Vienna did that was dangerous, including the goal, was caused by exactly this. Drazan baasically had him for breakfast. Wigans second goal came largely the same way BTW

Shorey: 5. An improvement from Saturday, would still like to see him not give the ball away quite so much

Davies 4. Beyond a joke now isnt it? Apparently his shoulder injury is worse now, not surprised. When I told my 13 year old son that Curtis was playing last night before the game he said "O'Neill is going to get him seriously injured and he'll miss ages". Spot on.

Cuellar: 6. Better

Milner: 5. Weak

NRC: 6. Added some strength to the middle

Sidwell. 6. See NRC

Gardner: 5. invisible.

Young. 5. Another weak performance

Heskey: 6. tried his best but had no support or service

subs

Agbonlahor: 6. Added some thing, but not much

Lowry

Very worried now

On the positive side: We more or less competed. They couldnt just walk through the midfield like Wigan did. We should really be out on the balance of this match, but still have a chance albeit a small one) of getting through. Need to keep a clean sheet at VP

On the negative side: We never looked like we had a goal in us. 4-5-1 didnt work. Putting NRC and Sidwell didnt provide the platform it should have. Confidence is very, very low

Guzan: 6. No chance with the goal, nice couple of saves second half

Beye : 3. Seems to be a bit of a pub player. Good with the ball at his feet, good when he is the right position, but he needs to learn he isnt a central defender, he's a right back. He continually gets sucked into the middle and everything Vienna did that was dangerous, including the goal, was caused by exactly this. Drazan baasically had him for breakfast. Wigans second goal came largely the same way BTW

Shorey: 5. An improvement from Saturday, would still like to see him not give the ball away quite so much

Davies 4. Beyond a joke now isnt it? Apparently his shoulder injury is worse now, not surprised. When I told my 13 year old son that Curtis was playing last night before the game he said "O'Neill is going to get him seriously injured and he'll miss ages". Spot on.

Cuellar: 6. Better

Milner: 5. Weak

NRC: 6. Added some strength to the middle

Sidwell. 6. See NRC

Gardner: 5. invisible.

Young. 5. Another weak performance

Heskey: 6. tried his best but had no support or service

subs

Agbonlahor: 6. Added some thing, but not much

Lowry

Very worried now

Watched the game in the pub via live feed and having read the other reviews on here, this is probably closest to my own opinion......however, I feel that we will beat them comfortably in the return leg.

As for our premiership season however....... yes I'm worried too.

Just a shame that travelling back to my hotel was so unpleasant. Twice I was spat... wasn't much fun to say the least.

Sorry to hear that, there's always a certain percentage of assholes in the crowd. Just know that such behaviour doesn't represent the vast majority of Rapid-fans or Viennese people. Apart from the usual banter, most of us always try to get along with the visiting fans in the European Cup, after all it's respectable that people even make these journeys to follow their club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/astonvilla/6063182/Rapid-Vienna-1-Aston-Villa-0-match-report.html

was a good game of rapid, we were unlucky that the score wasn´t higher. i was really suprised by the amout of villans in vienna, just 300!

u should better come in numbers next thursday, unless u wanna be sung out of your own stadium ´cause there will be 2000-3000 rapid lads in birmingham.

@djdabush sorry to hear that!