PL: Liverpool a 2009/08/24 Match Thread

limpid

We are that bad at the minute that a repeat of lasts years result would probably be great! Alright, maybe not but a decent account of ourselves and a narrow defeat is the best we can hope for imo.

Morale shattered, crap team selections, awful football. Theres not really anything positive to say we'll get a result and away to Liverpool thats not good!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My IKTS is a 3-0 home win and it was very nearly my banker except I see Arsenal beating Pompey by more.

Though with Davies now doubtful and Clark coming in, I'm unsure as to whether that's actually a good thing or a bad thing. From the club's point of view it's a ridiculous position to be in, but from a footballing perspective, with the way Davies has been playing and allegedly injured, I think Clark might actually be stronger alongside Cuéllar than the Dog&Duck's finest.

The team I'd pick

Friedel

Gardner Clark Cuéllar Shorey

Reo-Coker
Albrighton Petrov Milner Young

Agbonlahor[/code]

The 5 in midfield important to stem the home threat of Gerrard & Torres. With instruction to Stan & Jimmy to get forward in support at every opportunity. Reo to sit and break it up + protect the fragile defence. Albrighton to do what he does best and Young to just be Young. If it's not working then one of the targetmen can come off the bench and mix it up.

While I am assuming Carew is still unavailable, I think Gabby will do more damage against a relatively immobile back 4. Against an ageing Carragher and an inexperienced Ayala or recently signed Kyrgiakos I think Gabby is more of a handful than Carew. If Carew can play, he's not gonna be 100% and being more stationary gives plop an easier day out.

------------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Beye------------Cuellar----------------Davies----------Young

----------Sidwell--------------NRC--------------Petrov---------

Young-----------------------------------------------------Milner

------------------------------Carew------------------------------

If Young isn't fit or up to it then Shorey.

Definitely how I would have the team lined up. I liked some of Sidwell's play against Vienna although erratic at times. He pulled off a few good long passes. I am pessimistic about the Liverpool game unfortunately but if we are to get anything this team will probably make it most likely. I like how you have lined Milner up on the left as I think he will have more success against Glen Johnson. I'd me absolutely made up with a point from this game if I am honest.

Hope Luke is back. Has to play on the left for now until we get a better left back than Shorey. Beye will improve on the right, he's a good player. Cuellar and Clark in the middle. If you're good enough you're old enough.

NRC, Petrov and Milner in the middle. Albrighton and Young on the wings.

Carew if fit.

---------------Friedel/Guzan--------------

Beye------Cuellar------Clark------Young

-------------NRC--------Petrov------------

Albrighton--------Milner------------Young

-------------------Carew-------------------

In the words of Alphaville: Hoping for the best but expecting the worst...

I'm dreading this match like none before, we need to really up our game against Liverpool to stand any chance of not getting trounced. I'm still hopeful of a CB being signed in time to play, because it's desperately needed.

------------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Beye------------Cuellar----------------Davies----------Young

----------Sidwell--------------NRC--------------Petrov---------

Young-----------------------------------------------------Milner

------------------------------Carew------------------------------

That's the team I would ideally like to see, or a new CB if Davies is unavailable. That is a strong team, maybe throw Delph in for a real baptism of fire instead of Sidders or Petrov if he's lacking fitness still. The best I can realistically hope for is a draw :(

If rumours are true - we'll have Warnock signed in time for the Liverpool match - that solves the LB position!

The biggest headache is the CB position alongside Cuellar - do we risk an injury carrying Davies, a youngster in Clark or Lowry or switch Beye to CB and bring in NRC/Gardner/Lichaj as RB?

I think we'll retain the 4-5-1 formation as we're away from home and our retention was better on Thursday than the Wigan game.

Obviously Petrov will be in the midfield 3 and I believe NRC showed enough against Vienna to force a recall to the starting XI. Delph will make up the central midfielders with Young and Milner outwide supporting (inevitably) Heskey - although i'd prefer Gabby TBH (as I expect Carew to be 'injured' again)

My team:

...............Friedel

Beye.Cuellar.Clark.Warnock

........NRC.Petrov.Delph

Milner..........................Young

...............Gabby

MON's team:

............Friedel

Beye.Cuellar.Davies.Warnock

......NRC.Petrov.Delph

Milner.........................Young

...........Heskey

4-0 also. Can't help but be negative about this game. If we put on a performance like the Wigan game, we will get **** mauled.

--Friedel--

--Beye--Cuellar--Clark--Ballbag--

--NRC--Petrov--

--Milner--Delph--Young--

--Carew/Gabby--

Don't let that useless **** of a man Ivanhoe anywhere near the team.

Just watched the Siena-Milan game and there was an advert for the Liverpool-Villa game. "Can Villa silence the boo boys" was the comment they made. I really hope this doesn't continue, it makes our fans sound like shit to be honest, all because of a minority of 'supporters'.