PL: Liverpool a 2009/08/24 Match Thread

limpid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool were poor against Spurs, they missed Alonso much the same as we missed Barry, however i'd imagine that we can expect a backlash on Monday.

In order for our full backs not to get absolutely torn asunder by Liverpool's wingers in the same way that Reo-Coker was made to look like a fish out of water by Riera last season we'll have to play a 4-5-1. If we play 4-4-2 we will get absolutely murdered.

I'd go with the following line up;

Guzan (Freidel's reaction time has looked slow for some some time now)

Beye

Shorey

Cuellar

Davies

Reo-coker

Sidwell

Petrov

Ashley Young

Milner

Agbonlahor

The problem with this is that it requires Martin to drop Delph which will hardly inspire confidence in the young lad but then he probably shouldn't have started against Wigan. It also means that Gabby will have to make some decent runs and chase the ball down which he rarely does at the moment.

Reo-Coker will give us some much needed cover for the back four and hopefully Sidders can get foward to support Milner, Young and Gabby. Milner's work rate will come in useful as he'll have to spend much of the match operating like a right wing back offering support to Beye when LIverpool attack and breaking with pace if we get a chance to go foward.

It's all damage limitation really. If we come away with a hard fought, close defeat i'd be content, a draw would be a remarkable result.

I'd start with Heskey to be honest as messed up as that sounds , at least he can hold the ball up and has the strength for it

i agree with your 4-5-1 idea , though i would possibly start with Delph again as he does give us that left footed balance in the centre of the park

Beye

Shorey

Cuellar

Davies

I'd play Luke Young (who is now training again?). Shorey should be nowhere near the first 11.

Beye

Cuellar

Clark

Young

Davies is apparently still nursing his shoulder injury ......

unless of course by next monday we have signed a CH and a LB. One can hope ....

Freidel

Beye Cuellar Davies Shorey

Milner Delph Reo-Coker Petrov Young

Carew

This is assuming that Carew is fully fit and we don't pick up any injuries in Vienna. It's all very well complaining about the back four but we don't have any other options. Shorey is a decent underneath the shite performances his been putting in in a Villa shirt, with no option but to play him perhaps it's a chance for him to prove himself. Cuellar and Davies are both class, they are just lacking confidence - especially Davies, with Reo-Coker playing in front of them they are more likely to regain this confidence. No need to drop Delph, as part of a 5 man midfield he has more opportunity to shine. I would start with Carew up front if he is fit, depending on how the game goes potentially bring Heskey on later and maybe even take off Delph put Gabby on the left-wing and allow Ashley Young to roam about....

Liverpool were poor against Spurs, they missed Alonso much the same as we missed Barry, however i'd imagine that we can expect a backlash on Monday.

In order for our full backs not to get absolutely torn asunder by Liverpool's wingers in the same way that Reo-Coker was made to look like a fish out of water by Riera last season we'll have to play a 4-5-1. If we play 4-4-2 we will get absolutely murdered.

I'd go with the following line up;

Guzan (Freidel's reaction time has looked slow for some some time now)

Beye

Shorey

Cuellar

Davies

Reo-coker

Sidwell

Petrov

Ashley Young

Milner

Agbonlahor

The problem with this is that it requires Martin to drop Delph which will hardly inspire confidence in the young lad but then he probably shouldn't have started against Wigan. It also means that Gabby will have to make some decent runs and chase the ball down which he rarely does at the moment.

Reo-Coker will give us some much needed cover for the back four and hopefully Sidders can get foward to support Milner, Young and Gabby. Milner's work rate will come in useful as he'll have to spend much of the match operating like a right wing back offering support to Beye when LIverpool attack and breaking with pace if we get a chance to go foward.

It's all damage limitation really. If we come away with a hard fought, close defeat i'd be content, a draw would be a remarkable result.

id pick it your way,but without Shorey..id play Ciaran Clark in his place,sounds silly but he would be more solid imo.

I'd play

guzan

beye

cuellar

davies

shorey

milner

reo-coker

gardner

sidwell

young

agbonlahor

going quite defensive with the midfield but putting gardner and reo-coker in because i know they will actually compete, run around and close people down.

Was quite close with sidwell and delph but went with sidwell for the bit of experience factor.

milner

reo-coker

gardner

sidwell

young

I like how your leaving Petrov out there u must also agree he lacks fitness and i also agree with Mr Gardner sort of abit of a forgotten man , but as shown against the Italians he can still do a job

------------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Beye------------Cuellar----------------Davies----------Young

----------Sidwell--------------NRC--------------Petrov---------

Young-----------------------------------------------------Milner

------------------------------Carew------------------------------

If Young isn't fit or up to it then Shorey.

------------Carew (or Gabby)---------------

Young---------------------Milner

-------Petrov------Sidwell-----------

----------ReoCoker--------------

Young--Davies--Cuellar--Beye

--------------Guzan----------------

Obviously if Carew is fit i'd play him but reading the reports on his sick toe i'd presumed he'd be out for a few weeks, same with Luke Young.

I'd actually gorgotten about Gardner :oops:

I might be tempted to play him ahead of Sidders, he's a fighter.

Freidel, Young, Upson, Davies, Warnock, Milner, Petrov, Reo, Sidwell, Young & Love. :winkold:

or failing those 3 signings:

Freidel, Young, Cuellar, Davies, Shorey, Milner, Petrov, Reo, Sidwell, Young & Heskey.

------------Carew (or Gabby)---------------

Young---------------------Milner

-------Petrov------Sidwell-----------

----------ReoCoker--------------

Young--Davies--Cuellar--Beye

--------------Guzan----------------

That's exactly what I would go for. Strongest defense we can put up and a balanced midfield.

I honestly won't be surprised in the slightest if he plays the same squad we did against Wigan.

I think it's abit so to be picking this line-up, as i've only just done the one for the Rapid Vienna match.

But i can't help myself, so here goes.

Guzan

L.Young

The Super new signing!!!!!!

Cuellar

Hangeland

Petrov

Reo-coker

A.Young

Sneijder

Hulk

Milner